monday TEADAY 5/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you buy tea mostly from...?

Domestic Vendors, from my country
57%
International Vendors, from country of teas' origins
37%
Other
7%

Total votes: 60

May 19th, '08, 03:18
Scrolling: scrolling

monday TEADAY 5/19/08

by Chip » May 19th, '08, 03:18

Yesterday, TeaChatters were asked, "when selecting or evaluating a vendor, which is most important?" The top answer was...VALUE. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Welcome to TeaMonday on TeaDay. We will all need lots of brew to get us through the day. So filler up an come share what is in your cup today, all day. Check out what other TeaChatters are sipping as well...that is certainly half the fun! Of course, if you must, you can reflect back on your TeaDay as well.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is still on the subject of vendors. Do you buy from vendors in your country...or do you buy from country of origin...or both. This is a pretty recent issue on the tea front. What is your take on this phenomenon.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone on TeaDay! Bottoms up...refill...repeat!

May 19th, '08, 03:30

by omegapd » May 19th, '08, 03:30

99.9% I buy from a domestic vendor. I recently ordered some stuff to try from its country of origin but am still awaiting it to get here. I guess when it finally arrives, I'll see if the extra trouble and time is worth it. It's been 11 days now but who's counting? :roll:

Nothing in a cup yet today. I'm off work but wide awake. I better try and catch some Zzzz's...

I can almost bet it'll be something black and strong when I get back up, though. :wink:

EW

May 19th, '08, 03:35

by Terrasi » May 19th, '08, 03:35

Unless in the future I find something I can only acquire overseas, I will continue to only buy domestic. I like things to show up in a few days and for minimal shipping.

May 19th, '08, 03:39

by chamekke » May 19th, '08, 03:39

Most of my Japanese tea is bought from vendors in Japan, so I had to select International Vendors. And don't forget, even Adagio is international to me!

Admittedly I do sometimes buy tea locally, but never in sufficient quantities (or often enough) to count against the "furrin stuff." I'd love to support local businesses more; unfortunately, most of them just don't sell what I most want.

In my cup - nothing - I'm about to go to bed!

P.S. I was doing some work on the Tea Mind blog late tonight when suddenly it disappeared. Hopefully this is due to site maintenance or similar, and I didn't just kill my own blog thanks to over-enthusiastic tagging or the pressing of a "wrong key".

(What's alarming is that I can see other people's blogs on Wordpress just fine. Uh-oh.)
Last edited by chamekke on May 19th, '08, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

May 19th, '08, 04:10

by Beidao » May 19th, '08, 04:10

Chamekke: I can see your blog just fine.

I mostly buy from local vendors. I've only bought tea online once and that was a disaster. I like the tea store experience I guess. But when I'm through the things I can get from Swedish vendors, I will probably start looking abroad :P
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 19th, '08, 04:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 19th, '08, 04:52

ImageHappy Victoria Day to all those who celebrate it.

Hopefully Alexandrina Victoria herself would approve the near legendary Dan Cong on her day: the most subtle, most sophisticated, and most difficult to brew of all oolongs. All about aroma, a well made Dan Cong mimics the aroma of a particular flower. Each lot is picked from only one bush, and the bushes can be hundreds of years old. Aficionados may even treasure the tea from a favorite, individual bush.
Photographed is Yu Lan Xiang Magnolia Fragrance 2007 from Imen’s Tea Habitat in Palos Verdes. For more about Dan Cong, see Bears’ notes in Brandon’s brainchild, Wikicha:
http://wikicha.com/index.php/Feng_Huang_Dan_Cong

May 19th, '08, 04:54

by chamekke » May 19th, '08, 04:54

Sorry to go off topic again, but I still can't see the blog (http://www.teamind.wordpress.com) - in fact I'm not even seeing the Wordpress dashboard for it. However, I can successfully get to the dashboards for 2 other blogs I have on Wordpress.

When I try to go to Tea Mind (either the URL itself or the dashboard address), the webpage takes forever to "load" and then finally gives up. I'm wondering if the database has been corrupted.

If Beidao or anyone else really can see the blog now (with all 5 entries to date), can you please copy-and-paste the whole thing into a PM and send it to me? I would be really grateful. Thank you!

Now, back to the tea...

May 19th, '08, 05:03

by tenuki » May 19th, '08, 05:03

Cham I can see your blog just fine. Thanks for posting your thoughts on chawans, I've been finding them very useful.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

May 19th, '08, 05:23

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 19th, '08, 05:23

chamekke wrote:If Beidao or anyone else really can see the blog now (with all 5 entries to date), can you please copy-and-paste the whole thing into a PM and send it to me? I would be really grateful. Thank you!
Done, though I hope it's not the 4th one you've gotten. Just telling you here so you don't get 20 more! :shock:

Totally domestic for me as, queue refrain, I'm working through Adagio only right now. Nothing yet in my cup ( :cry: ), but will brew something here quite shortly.

May 19th, '08, 05:29

by Sam. » May 19th, '08, 05:29

Domestic vendors, as I've yet to buy from an international (non-US) vendor!

May 19th, '08, 06:40

by Ladytiger » May 19th, '08, 06:40

Salsero, Vicortia gets a birthday AND her own day?! :lol:
I voted domestic vendors because I only buy inside the US...for now.
No tea yet today. I'm confused, should I have black tea or oolong for Victoria Day?

May 19th, '08, 07:12

by henley » May 19th, '08, 07:12

I'm a domestic girl. I barely know enough to order domestically much less internationally! :?

Another great photo, Sal. The magnolia bloom is gorgeous!

Good question, LT. What tea should we drink today? :wink:

May 19th, '08, 07:29

by Carnelian » May 19th, '08, 07:29

I went domestic because I've only ordered from an international vendor once.

No tea yet, might not have time before school

May 19th, '08, 07:58

by Selaphiel » May 19th, '08, 07:58

I buy from both, but mostly international via the internet.

Today I`m starting with the no less than extraordinary Shincha Uji Kirameki. This tea is simply fantastic.

May 19th, '08, 07:59

by Beidao » May 19th, '08, 07:59

Sal: This may be the best photo I've seen from you

W O W
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror