tuesday TEADAY 5/20/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Besides TEA, what other serious food interests do you have?

Wine
4%
Chocolate
13%
Gourmet cooking
7%
Baking
4%
Beer
15%
Spirits
2%
Fine Dining
5%
Sushi
5%
Ethnic cuisine
11%
Fruits or veggies
5%
Other
29%

Total votes: 55

May 21st, '08, 10:55

by auggy » May 21st, '08, 10:55

Chip wrote:Regarding once again the sushi...I can go so many different ways with sushi. But it comes down to the rice and the nori. I can just have rice rolled in nori and be happy as a clam. I can add veggies, or fish/meats, or both. But it has to have good rice and nori.
One word for you - onigiri. I have a feeling you'd like them. Ball of rice, typically with a bit of tuna (cooked) and mayo or natto or umeboshi or something tucked in the middle and then wrapped in nori. So good. Convenience stores sell them where the nori and rice are separated by the wrapping so when you open it up, the nori is still crispy. Of course, the homemade ones served warm are the best, even though the nori gets soggy fast.

Sorry - had a little food inspired daydream babble. So good.

May 21st, '08, 11:24

by chamekke » May 21st, '08, 11:24

auggy wrote:One word for you - onigiri. I have a feeling you'd like them. Ball of rice, typically with a bit of tuna (cooked) and mayo or natto or umeboshi or something tucked in the middle and then wrapped in nori. So good. Convenience stores sell them where the nori and rice are separated by the wrapping so when you open it up, the nori is still crispy. Of course, the homemade ones served warm are the best, even though the nori gets soggy fast.

Sorry - had a little food inspired daydream babble. So good.
Nothing wrong with that kind of babble :D

If you're going to make homemade onigiri, it can't hurt to sprinkle on a little furikake for additional interest. That's a dry condiment that's sprinkled on rice, onigiri in particular. Comes in lots of flavours. Yummy.

My favourite filling for onigiri? Umeboshi - sour plum. It's sooooo good.

Gee - is it lunchtime already? :wink:
Last edited by chamekke on May 21st, '08, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

May 21st, '08, 11:32

by witches brew » May 21st, '08, 11:32

All this talk of onigiri is making me soooo hungry.

I wish I could get up to midtown at lunch today: OMS/B!!! (Hint, OMS/B is the way you pronounce omusubi, another name for onigiri. Clever name for a restaurant.)
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 21st, '08, 12:40

by auggy » May 21st, '08, 12:40

chamekke wrote:If you're going to make homemade onigiri, it can't hurt to sprinkle on a little furikake for additional interest. That's a dry condiment that's sprinkled on rice, onigiri in particular. Comes in lots of flavours. Yummy.

My favourite filling for onigiri? Umeboshi - sour plum. It's sooooo good.
You know, me and umeboshi - not the best of friends. In fact, that's the last furikake I have left. Which makes me sad since I don't like it. I really need to make a trip to the Japanese grocery store and get more goodies.

May 21st, '08, 23:36

by joelbct » May 21st, '08, 23:36

Chip wrote:
joelbct wrote: I also love pomegranate juice, I buy it from concentrate which is quite economical. Drink the stuff every day, goes great with seltzer...
mmm...*loves pom juice* I drink it like wine, in small glassware.
Great minds think alike! If you mean you like the Pom brand, you should try the Jarrow Wonderful concentrate... I think it's even better.

Pom is made from concentrate anyway, and is like $5/16 ounces, whereas if you make it from concentrate yourself, its abt $1/16 ounces. Anyway, cheers to pomegranate juice...