Saturday TeaDay 5/31/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

May 31st, '08, 12:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 12:57

fodder0 wrote:Victoria - I feel like a fool, many years back I used to hear the word Oolong and assumed it was some type of noodles :roll: I am definitely going to order some, what are YOUR favorite Oolongs?
LOL! Well I love all kinds of oolongs! There is a huge range and something for everyone to love. I lean towards the greener oolongs. Adagio is a great place to start. Although do yourself a favor and stay away from the flavored ones, at least to start, ok? I would start with the Ti Kuan Yin. I also love #18 but it's out of stock right now. The Pouchong is pretty good too. I guess ordering the TKY and the Wuyi samples would give you a nice place to start and an example of the range of oolongs. You will learn a lot more later. Take it slow.

May 31st, '08, 13:21

by Beidao » May 31st, '08, 13:21

I've tried drinking my Sencha today but we didn't really get along with each other. It became either underbrewed or overbrewed. I woke up around 11 in the morning anyway so it's been sort of a short day. And I've mostly been drinking ginger ale... :oops:

I don't think I'm in the mood for tea :cry:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 31st, '08, 13:25

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 13:25

Beidao wrote:I've tried drinking my Sencha today but we didn't really get along with each other. It became either underbrewed or overbrewed. I woke up around 11 in the morning anyway so it's been sort of a short day. And I've mostly been drinking ginger ale... :oops:

I don't think I'm in the mood for tea :cry:
When you are not in the mood for tea, is when you most need it.
:wink:

Get out you best/favorite oolong. That ususally helps!

May 31st, '08, 14:29

by Ron Gilmour » May 31st, '08, 14:29

I've had a renewal of interest in Ceylons lately, largely inspired by a Ceylon OP, Adawatte Estate that I ordered from Upton. It's a beautiful cup with a sweet, fruity quality that reminds me of raisins. I also like Adagio's Ceylon Sonata, which I'm drinking right now.

Fodder0, welcome! I second Victoria's recommendations for oolongs. She's given you some very good advise. My personal favorites at the moment are Adagio's #40, which is a wonderful dark oolong with peachy notes, and Li Shan Oolong from Tao of Tea, which is a very green oolong and is kind of like drinking gardenias. As Victoria says, there is tremendous variety among oolongs and you have a fun journey ahead of you.

May 31st, '08, 14:43

by Katrina » May 31st, '08, 14:43

Katrina wrote:Going to need a really bold black tea soon...or a nap.
henley wrote:I vote for tea AND a nap! Between this & shots, you've had a rough mommy week.
Some weeks are like that, I guess. I think I'm going for the trifecta if I can pull it off: tea, nap, and bath!

Can I also mention how much I love your avatar? (My kids only like Cheerios for breakfast these days so I don't think my photo would be very impressive!)

May 31st, '08, 15:00

by henley » May 31st, '08, 15:00

Katrina wrote: Can I also mention how much I love your avatar? (My kids only like Cheerios for breakfast these days so I don't think my photo would be very impressive!)
Thanx! Ideally this is how I would eat bfast every morning. Realistically, some days it's a cereal bar & cuppa juice in the car.

And BTW, you should see my 5 yr old w/her peanut butter toast or my 19 mth old w/his banana & Cheerios... not a pretty picture!!!

May 31st, '08, 15:22

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 15:22

chamekke wrote:Adagio's Birthday Tea. I was in the mood for some sweet comfort this morning.

And for the purists out there... I'm about to dash off to tea ceremony class where it will be MATCHA all the way :wink:

The right shoulder is extremely painful this morning, which is driving me nuts since there is so much I want to post to TeaChat! Unfortunately, typing (and mousing) = stabbing pain. Well, maybe later...
Hope you feel better chamekke! I'm going to be having some new MATCHA later is afternoon myself.

Right now Adagio Pouchong is in my cup. Sometimes I forget how good this one really is.

Get READY for OOLONG Sunday!!!

May 31st, '08, 15:32

by RussianSoul » May 31st, '08, 15:32

Victoria wrote:Right now Adagio Pouchong is in my cup. Sometimes I forget how good this one really is.
Victoria, how do you brew Adagio Pouchong? I seem to get inconsistent results with my method. Sometimes it comes out sweet, and sometimes has some unpleasant tartness that I don't like.

Drinking Meng Ding Gan Lu brewed "grandfather's style" per Salsero. It's a nice tea, but unremarkable.

May 31st, '08, 15:38

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 15:38

RussianSoul wrote:
Victoria wrote:Right now Adagio Pouchong is in my cup. Sometimes I forget how good this one really is.
Victoria, how do you brew Adagio Pouchong? I seem to get inconsistent results with my method. Sometimes it comes out sweet, and sometimes has some faint tartness that I don't like.
Ya know I am so hesitant in giving out my brewing peramiters now, becuse we all brew so differently. I brew 15 oz at a time. So for you, you might consider that a pot. I used about 1.5 rounded teaspoons of leaf. (tableware) Maybe closer to two. 3mins just off boil. Perfection. It's a beautiful golden color too.

Get READY for OOLONG Sunday!!!

May 31st, '08, 15:47

by Salsero » May 31st, '08, 15:47

Victoria wrote:I brew 15 oz at a time.
:shock:

Don't those Pouchong parameters give you a pretty weak cup of tea? I think I have been using more leaf in like 35% to 40% of that water. Still, I know sometimes less is more in the world of tea!

I will try your system a little later, tsp and all.

May 31st, '08, 16:03

by Victoria » May 31st, '08, 16:03

Salsero wrote:
Victoria wrote:I brew 15 oz at a time.
:shock:

Don't those Pouchong parameters give you a pretty weak cup of tea? I think I have been using more leaf in like 35% to 40% of that water. Still, I know sometimes less is more in the world of tea!

I will try your system a little later, tsp and all.
Doesn't taste weak to me, but it's all about different tastes too.
What can I say? I love my 15 oz bodum cups!

oops! Sorry Augie.

May 31st, '08, 16:09

by Salsero » May 31st, '08, 16:09

Victoria wrote:Doesn't taste weak to me, but it's all about different tastes too. What can I say? I love my 15 oz bodum cups!

oops! Sorry Augie.
Avert your eyes, Augie.
It doesn't look weak. It's a pretty color.

May 31st, '08, 16:14

by Beidao » May 31st, '08, 16:14

Victoria wrote:Get out you best/favorite oolong. That ususally helps!
Actually I've never tasted anything else than TKY :oops: And it's far from my fav tea even tho it's pretty nice.

But soon I'm going to a tea store in Stockholm (called In the Moof for Tea, by the way!). And there I'll buy some Da Hong Pao. Or Ali Shan. Or Phoenix Dancong. Or Tie Luohan.

Can the Oolong Queen give advice on which one of them to choose?

Too late for tea :cry:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 31st, '08, 16:20

by neowolf » May 31st, '08, 16:20

It's ~4:20 and I'm sipping some lovely peppermint.

May 31st, '08, 17:02

by Chip » May 31st, '08, 17:02

Opened the day with Genmaicha w/match at a breafast buffet...yes, I brought it with me.

Been sipping samples at the Expo alllll day so far, but some highlights were...

Cold brewed sencha from Den's
Korean steamed tea/pan fired green
Lots of Taiwan oolong.

Still a long way to go today.