Thursday TeaDay 6/05/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Hop asks, "Which effect do you generally recieve from drinking tea the most?"

Get me off the ceiling energy
No votes
A pleasant zing
18%
Soothing comfort
63%
High anxiety
No votes
Chatterbox
No votes
Nothing
4%
Other
16%

Total votes: 56

Jun 5th, '08, 10:03

by auggy » Jun 5th, '08, 10:03

I voted "Soothing comfort" since that's what I get most of the time. But my morning black tea is closer to zing than comfort. And a few times when I made it too strong, it was the "get me off the ceiling".

Oolong #40 today. I've had it before and enjoyed it, but today it's just not doing it for me. I think because I used hotter water than I normally do for oolongs so it isn't as sweet. Or maybe I just in general screwed it up somehow because right now it is reminding me of a Bigelow Darjeeling bag. :(

Just par for the course so far today. Woke up this morning to find out that a 12 foot or so section of our back fence had blown down. Two support posts snapped off at the ground and another one is about gone. I hate this wind. And next house I am making sure the town isn't on top of a hill. It took me 3 years to figure out that we were on a hill and that's why the wind is so bad (yeah, I'm an idiot, the great view of the surrounding ranch land didn't clue me in to the whole hill thing). The wind is so bad, I've got a wind chime hung up inside my a corner of my screened in porch AND one of the sides making up that corner has clear plastic up on the outside to block the wind but the chimes are still going so crazy I'm going to have to take them down before my neighbors kill me.

I hate the wind.

Oh, and the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup last night. Dang it. :evil:

Jun 5th, '08, 10:34

by TimeforTea » Jun 5th, '08, 10:34

auggy wrote:I voted "Soothing comfort" since that's what I get most of the time. But my morning black tea is closer to zing than comfort. And a few times when I made it too strong, it was the "get me off the ceiling".

Oolong #40 today. I've had it before and enjoyed it, but today it's just not doing it for me. I think because I used hotter water than I normally do for oolongs so it isn't as sweet. Or maybe I just in general screwed it up somehow because right now it is reminding me of a Bigelow Darjeeling bag. :(

Just par for the course so far today. Woke up this morning to find out that a 12 foot or so section of our back fence had blown down. Two support posts snapped off at the ground and another one is about gone. I hate this wind. And next house I am making sure the town isn't on top of a hill. It took me 3 years to figure out that we were on a hill and that's why the wind is so bad (yeah, I'm an idiot, the great view of the surrounding ranch land didn't clue me in to the whole hill thing). The wind is so bad, I've got a wind chime hung up inside my a corner of my screened in porch AND one of the sides making up that corner has clear plastic up on the outside to block the wind but the chimes are still going so crazy I'm going to have to take them down before my neighbors kill me.

I hate the wind.

Oh, and the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup last night. Dang it. :evil:
Auggy, I use just off boiling for oolong #40 and all my oolongs, as Victoria suggests. It's come out fine. Today, however, I think I used too much leaf. Maybe you used too much leaf, too?

I hope the wind calms down there.

You were routing for the Penguins to win the cup?

Jun 5th, '08, 10:39

by chrl42 » Jun 5th, '08, 10:39

It differs per tea. For greens, I will go with a pleasant zing. For Puerh, it's soothing. For Oolongs, it weighs life and tea. Pondering over what might have suffered as seeing into suffering leaves. For white tea, it's meditation for peace and harmony among leaf, body and soul, an agreement that we are seeing the same way.

Sorry, I am drunk over tea, am very emotional.

Jun 5th, '08, 11:02

by Katrina » Jun 5th, '08, 11:02

"Soothing comfort" for me. The caffeine really doesn't seem to affect me. Tea brewing is like yoga practice for me. Intention and mindfulness are part of my tea preparation experience and my aim is relaxation and calm. If I can achieve a little of that each day with two toddlers in the house then I have done a great job.

I'm about to brew a caramel oolong - one of the few flavored oolongs I've tried.

And EW, I haven't tried that one yet. Your two samples dropped in the mail today. :D

Jun 5th, '08, 11:39

by auggy » Jun 5th, '08, 11:39

TimeforTea wrote:Auggy, I use just off boiling for oolong #40 and all my oolongs, as Victoria suggests. It's come out fine. Today, however, I think I used too much leaf. Maybe you used too much leaf, too?

I hope the wind calms down there.

You were routing for the Penguins to win the cup?
I used just off boiling for this morning's oolong actually and I think that's why I didn't like it as much. I like them brewed at about 180 instead. I think this makes me weird.

It wasn't so much wanting the Penguins to win as not wanting the Red Wings to. But at least now Sidney Crosby gets to shave off that poor excuse for a playoff beard.

Jun 5th, '08, 11:41

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 5th, '08, 11:41

Tea is soothing comfort for me. I am not a morning person so tea definitely soothes my grumpiness when I wake up. It is more of a relaxing, centering thing though since most tea caffeine doesn't really give me a zing.

This morning, I've gotten as far as a mug of Casablanca Twist that was enjoyed while Mom had a doctor's appointment. There will be something more soon when I figure out what I want to make.

Jun 5th, '08, 11:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 5th, '08, 11:47

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:Tea is soothing comfort for me. I am not a morning person so tea definitely soothes my grumpiness when I wake up.
LOL, that is sooooo me. After 15oz I resemble myself, until then don't talk to me.

My office brew: The last of a reroasted Baozhong from the Pacific Northwest.
What a sweet brew, I'm sad to see it go.

Jun 5th, '08, 12:22

by Pentox » Jun 5th, '08, 12:22

I like the zingy zingy caffeine feeling i get. Although it took a bit of work to drop my caffeine tolerance down to tea levels.

Today, a cup of yunnan gold to try to finish this stuff off. (I've been trying to finish off my current stashes of open tea)

Jun 5th, '08, 12:27

by olivierco » Jun 5th, '08, 12:27

Kaburagien Sencha just after work.

Jun 5th, '08, 12:33

by daughteroftheKing » Jun 5th, '08, 12:33

Isn't that part of the wonderful complexity of tea? It can give soothing comfort while at the same time a bit of invigoration. Yesterday morning had just herbals, and by mid-afternoon a headache started creeping in. A nice cup of Darjeeling 22 totally stopped it. (guess I am addicted).

This morning started with Peach Blossom Ginger infusion (has black & green tea plus peach & ginger pieces). Will probably serve this to my weekly T@3 group this afternoon. Right now I'm enjoying Adagio's Vanilla Oolong.

Yes, anyone to win except the Red Wings (one of my bosses is a Detroit fan, so we give him no end of grief.)

Jun 5th, '08, 12:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 5th, '08, 12:40

I added two options to Hop's poll, Chatterbox and High Anxiety.

For me, caffeine is a piece of the puzzle each day. The effect of caffeine can be good or bad depending on food consumed...or not consumed, stress, and other factors.

Generally, if I focus on the tea experience, the combination of caffeine and other components in tea is soothing, relaxing, comforting. If I simply guzzle a pot, the results can be quite different. I am generally not overly talkative, but it can make me a chatterbox. :roll: Even high anxiety if I have neglected eating as well.

Today so far...Nepal FF from adagio...this stuff is pretty intense and delicious!!! Thanks for sharing this with me Cynthia. I have not been actively buying or drinking blacks lately and had forgotten how fresh and vibrant they can be. This is really good!

Moved on to Shincha Fukamushi from Uji this time. The fukamushi that I have tried this year have all been incredibly good this shincha season! This one is so remarkably sweet and soothing. The second steeps of most fukamushi are soooo green, my fave color.

Jun 5th, '08, 12:55

Re: Moar sencha

by Scarlet Glow » Jun 5th, '08, 12:55

Salsero wrote:MOAR sencha today …
  • sheesh, will it never end?
It better not!! Haha.

Awesome picture... but I could just look down, because Miyabi is what is in my cup today. *looks down* Eh, your picture looks better. :wink:

Jun 5th, '08, 13:04

by olivierco » Jun 5th, '08, 13:04

Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 right now.

Matcha very soon.

Jun 5th, '08, 13:15

by auggy » Jun 5th, '08, 13:15

daughteroftheKing wrote:Yes, anyone to win except the Red Wings (one of my bosses is a Detroit fan, so we give him no end of grief.)
Yeah, that's pretty much my view on it. Apparently I had the kiss of death for teams in the playoffs this year. I start pulling for them and they'd immediately lose. Ducks (1st round), then the Sharks (2nd round), then the Flyers (3nd round) and then the Penguins (finals). That's so not cool.

Jun 5th, '08, 13:39

by Beidao » Jun 5th, '08, 13:39

auggy wrote:I used just off boiling for this morning's oolong actually and I think that's why I didn't like it as much. I like them brewed at about 180 instead. I think this makes me weird.
Why should that make you weird? I also like them at 180. Keep brewin' the way you like it best!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror