Wednesday should be TeaDay, 6/11/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

"Tea na" wondered where were you when you discovered TEA?

Home
59%
Work
9%
School
6%
Vacation
4%
With a friend
11%
Another country
2%
Other
9%

Total votes: 54

Jun 11th, '08, 15:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jun 11th, '08, 15:57

College for me, too. Sophomore year was when it first started, then I kinda stopped after a few bad tea experiences (I'm too lazy to pun that one, sorry), then I got back into it during Junior year, and the rest is history.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jun 11th, '08, 16:05

by auggy » Jun 11th, '08, 16:05

Chip wrote:I suspect you truly are a purple tailed pink monkey!
I'm gonna take that as a compliment! :P

Katrina, lovely flowers! Irises are my favorite and that one is very neat. Any idea as to its name?

Jun 11th, '08, 16:20

by Beidao » Jun 11th, '08, 16:20

Grattis på födelsedagen, Henley and EW!

I've been to a wonderful teastore today. I bought Menghai Pu Ehr from 1997 and Mei Shan Jin Xuan. Anyone knows what the latter is? I only know it's a (green?) oolong. Victoria, heeelp! I wanted to buy Ali Shan but the price kinda scared me :oops:

As for teaware I brought home a gaiwan (my first) and an Yixing cup (first too).

Oh, and I've actually never bought pu ehr before, just ordered it at restaurants and had a sample. So this is a big day for Beidao :)
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 11th, '08, 16:23

by Beidao » Jun 11th, '08, 16:23

Ps. Forget about my cry for help, I've found out what it is. But if someone has an opinion on it, pleeze tell me.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jun 11th, '08, 16:31

by tenuki » Jun 11th, '08, 16:31

Beidao wrote:I bought Menghai Pu Ehr from 1997 and I've actually never bought pu ehr before, just ordered it at restaurants and had a sample. So this is a big day for Beidao :)
97 Menghai - not bad, you are starting out where everyone else eventually ends up - good call. :D

Jun 11th, '08, 16:48

by Katrina » Jun 11th, '08, 16:48

tenuki wrote: ps. you have great taste in Kyuusu, I have one almost identical to that one.
And you have beautiful taste in pianos. Lovely photo. I, sadly, have what is known as an "apartment sized" piano (It's 1 1/2 octaves shorter than a standard piano.) from the 1950s made by a company called Lester. And it's missing a pedal because my aunt pulled one off when she was 4. I think the fact I ever learned to play on it is a minor miracle.

The Kyuusu was a birthday gift from my husband...
Chip wrote:And I have that exact Yixing!
...another birthday gift from my husband. There was a gaiwan too. I think I was very good this year! I love the Yixing except the handle gets hot as blazes!
Chip wrote:Like you needed to tell us that was fukamushi??? BUT, which one is it...and which steep? Looks like a second steep.
I knew the green tea folks out there would need no caption. It was Rishi's Fukamushi and, you are correct, it was 2nd steep. I am in awe. I have so much to learn. I would be proud to get as far as guessing Japanese green.

auggy wrote:Katrina, lovely flowers! Irises are my favorite and that one is very neat. Any idea as to its name?
I'm not 100% sure as the rhizomes were a gift from my brother-in-law. He dug them out of his garden and flew with them on his lap to make sure they weren't damaged en route. I THINK they are a medium bearded iris variety called "High Class." I found a photo on this page that seemed similar: http://www.iriscitygardens.com/bearded2.html

Jun 11th, '08, 16:51

by tenuki » Jun 11th, '08, 16:51

Beidao wrote:Mei Shan Jin Xuan.
Did you taste it at the shop?

Meishan is a town in Chiayi County, the same county that Ali Shan is found IIRC.

I believe Jin Xuan (sometimes spelled Jin Shuen I think?) is a varietal (also known as Golden Lily and Milk Oolong IIR), ie you can have ali shan jin xuan, li shan jin xuan, or.... mei shan jin xuan. This varietal is also commonly grown in China I think.

Shan means mountain, so there is probably a Mei mountain the town is named after.

So basically you have a high mountain oolong from the same area ali shan comes from.

Jun 11th, '08, 17:01

by auggy » Jun 11th, '08, 17:01

Katrina wrote:
auggy wrote:Katrina, lovely flowers! Irises are my favorite and that one is very neat. Any idea as to its name?
I'm not 100% sure as the rhizomes were a gift from my brother-in-law. He dug them out of his garden and flew with them on his lap to make sure they weren't damaged en route. I THINK they are a medium bearded iris variety called "High Class." I found a photo on this page that seemed similar: http://www.iriscitygardens.com/bearded2.html
Guh. I'm in love with that link you sent. Irises are a weakness. I've got only about 5 varieties in my garden but I found a botanical garden recently that is well known for their Irises and will dig you up a plant to take home for $5. I plan on going back in the fall and loading up. I have a list. :oops: And I've already brought one of them home:

Jun 11th, '08, 17:06

by RussianSoul » Jun 11th, '08, 17:06

Since everybody did the birthday wishes in world languages, I'll do it too:

С Днём Рожденья, Omegapd and Henley!

which only means Happy Birthday and that I am a show-off...

I could say that I had Irish Breakfast in the morning to toast omegapd, but I would have had it anyway. Does it still count?

I learned to drink tea at home at a tender age, because that was the thing to do in Russia. Very simple. But I learned about Chinese and Japanese teas here, on this forum, and my education continues.

Sencha+Gyokuro blend in my cup. Yum!

Jun 11th, '08, 17:22

by Geekgirl » Jun 11th, '08, 17:22

auggy wrote: And I've already brought one of them home:
Wowowow! I love this iris. I have 5-6 varieties in my front yard, and plan to plant a LOT more when I get around to the landscape on the side yard. We have a pathetic and ugly landscape right now. Big project, I'll probably be old(er) and grey(er) before it's finished.

In my cup, some traditional roast TKY from just 4, courtesy of Salsero (thanks!). No pics, got out of the house without a digital camera (how did that happen?!) This is pretty good stuff, hint of smokiness in the roast.

Happy B-day to Omega and Henley!

Jun 11th, '08, 17:23

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 17:23

RussianSoul wrote:Since everybody did the birthday wishes in world languages, I'll do it too:

С Днём Рожденья, Omegapd and Henley!

which only means Happy Birthday and that I am a show-off...

I could say that I had Irish Breakfast in the morning to toast omegapd, but I would have had it anyway. Does it still count?

I learned to drink tea at home at a tender age, because that was the thing to do in Russia. Very simple. But I learned about Chinese and Japanese teas here, on this forum, and my education continues.

Sencha+Gyokuro blend in my cup. Yum!
Ahhh, yes...an awesome blend. I have been blending mostly out of necessity since shincha and only when I have a little bit of one left. Like today...this is a pricey blend. Kirameki (2.5 grams...it is now gone) plus 1.5 grams of Hashiri. This was a really interesting blend. I would never do it except in this situation. But it came out really nice.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 11th, '08, 17:27

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 17:27

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
auggy wrote: And I've already brought one of them home:
Wowowow! I love this iris. I have 5-6 varieties in my front yard, and plan to plant a LOT more when I get around to the landscape on the side yard. We have a pathetic and ugly landscape right now. Big project, I'll probably be old(er) and grey(er) before it's finished.

In my cup, some traditional roast TKY from just 4, courtesy of Salsero (thanks!). No pics, got out of the house without a digital camera (how did that happen?!) This is pretty good stuff, hint of smokiness in the roast.

Happy B-day to Omega and Henley!
NO...WOOOWWWWWWWWW! This is clearly a highly bred one. Iris are such complicated flowers both botanically and horticulturally.

I have no idea why I don't have them in my yard, a shortcoming that will have to be corrected.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 11th, '08, 17:39

by RussianSoul » Jun 11th, '08, 17:39

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote: Sencha+Gyokuro blend in my cup. Yum!
Ahhh, yes...an awesome blend. I have been blending mostly out of necessity since shincha and only when I have a little bit of one left. Like today...this is a pricey blend. Kirameki (2.5 grams...it is now gone) plus 1.5 grams of Hashiri. This was a really interesting blend. I would never do it except in this situation. But it came out really nice.
I blend because I have a tin of medium quality sencha and a tin of medium to low quality gyokuro, neither of which I like. Together they produce this amazing blend that I now crave. Go figure! I may have to purchase more of these teas in order to blend them, lucky for me they are inexpensive.

I haven't opened my Kirameki yet. Can't wait!

Jun 11th, '08, 17:48

by Salsero » Jun 11th, '08, 17:48

Katrina wrote:The peonies popped today, but no photos yet. Soon...
Oooo, yes, peonies please!!! I love them so much (and they are such a big Chinese teaware theme), but we can't grow them down here this close to Hell. Too hot.

Thanks for the two you did post! I will be watching for those peonies ... How many colors? What will you do about the ants?

There is never a fully open peony w/o ants in the garden. They love them too! If you cut them for indoors right before they busrt open, at least you can enjoy them inside w/o the company of ants.

Jun 11th, '08, 17:56

by Victoria » Jun 11th, '08, 17:56

Beidao wrote:I've been to a wonderful teastore today. I bought Menghai Pu Ehr from 1997 and Mei Shan Jin Xuan. Anyone knows what the latter is? I only know it's a (green?) oolong. Victoria, heeelp! I wanted to buy Ali Shan but the price kinda scared me :oops:

As for teaware I brought home a gaiwan (my first) and an Yixing cup (first too).

Oh, and I've actually never bought pu ehr before, just ordered it at restaurants and had a sample. So this is a big day for Beidao :)
I see Tenuki has answered you, but in the meantime I found some here in my desk and I'm having it in your honor!

This is Jin Xuan from Floating Leaves Tea. This one is floral with a slightly milky feel. Nice.

Love to see your new gaiwan & cup. Pics?
Congrats!