Friday finally...TeaDay, 6/13/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Organic or not organic...which side of the fence are you on?

Organic tea is for me
15%
Non organic is my choice
11%
No opinion
40%
Other
34%

Total votes: 53

Jun 13th, '08, 09:52

by joelbct » Jun 13th, '08, 09:52

Well, I said "Other."

I buy (and grow!) Organic Foods wherever possible. My diet is probably 75% organic, come to think of it.

Whole Foods is the best option around here for that. And if you complain about the price, quit whining ;) Can't put a price on your health and the environment anyway... Personally I would rather have two delicious organic Pears than 5 Monsanto-Franken-Pears... And most Organic Food is maybe just 25-50% more expensive, a drop in the bucket considering most Americans spend more on Gas or Rent or Mortgage than they do on the food that actually goes into their bodies.

Tea, on the other hand, is a slightly different story. If it happens to be Organic, great! But unfortunately most of the best tasting Tea is not yet organic. Simply put, as I'm sure others will attest, Organic Certification costs money, and growing Organically costs money, and many tea farmers put that money into sinply growing the best tasting tea.

Hibiki-an has a great article on Organic Tea Farming. Also, Makaibari estate pioneered Organic Tea Farming in Darjeeling. I could write much more on this topic but I have to go to work so enjoy your day everyone!

Jun 13th, '08, 10:00

by xine » Jun 13th, '08, 10:00

I do not seek nor prefer organic teas...as long as it tastes good! Food-wise, rather meat and veggie/fruit wise, I will buy local over organic, organic over regular, and what my budget can afford me.

henley wrote:Same answer as Victoria, Space & Tenuki. The taste is more important than whether or not it's organic.
Victoria wrote:Henley, I think we'd all like to get a better look at your avatar pic.
Per your request, here's my shot of Tea on the Beach. Which BTW, tastes better than the other infamous "on the beach" drink. :lol: In the cup was equal parts of Oolong #8 & OBO. In spite of taking 3 different teas w/me, this was what I drank everyday.

Using this cup & saucer has been fun. It's been hanging on my kitchen wall for apr 6 yrs as part of my teacup collection. Finally decided last week to use it for the purpose intended!

That cup and teapot are absolutely darling. I'm very jealous you are by a beach to enjoy your tea!

Jun 13th, '08, 10:02

by xine » Jun 13th, '08, 10:02

PS: Happy Friday the 13th! ooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooh.

Jun 13th, '08, 10:12

by witches brew » Jun 13th, '08, 10:12

For tisanes, I have a good choice of organic herbs that I can use. When it comes to tea proper, there needs to be more organic choices. I do the best I can

That adds up to 'other.'

I'm drinking Silver Needle this morning, unfortunately it is a wee bit oversteeped because I stopped to talk with someone and left the infuser in my cup. It's still drinkable, though.

I hope everyone has a good tea day.

Think good thoughts for me as I politely consume that vile instant green tea again this afternoon. I already tried asking for a simple glass of water, which was provided, but then they kept asking me if I would like a tea or coffee. It's just part of their office culture, I guess. It's hard to say no to insistent hospitality. Hopefully, this project will be done within the next two weeks.

Jun 13th, '08, 10:16

Re: Dian Hong and Holly Fern

by auggy » Jun 13th, '08, 10:16

Salsero wrote:Image

The ferns are Holly Ferns. As you might imagine, my favorite part of ferns is the spores on the back, so I’ve flipped one over so you can enjoy them too. Click the photo to see the same thing in BIG.
Lovely picture, Sal, but the spores always freak me out (there is a bug-related summer camp story there and I'm scarred for life) so it gives me the willies. But hey, good art is supposed to evoke emotion, right? :D

I am currently the lone "non organic" vote. Call it rebellion. My dad does as much as he can organically and sometimes it's a bit much. Kind of like my mom having celiac so nine times out of ten, once I get home from spending time with her, I eat bread. Shame on me. :oops: But typically if I have a choice between two of the same teas, one organic, one not, I'll go for the one not. I've had some sub-par organic teas that seem to depend on people buying them because they are organic, not because they are good. That being said, if organic is the only option, I won't shy away from a tea. I have a couple of organic samples in my pantry right now. But I would have gotten the "full-octane" version if it was available.

For non-tea purposes, though, I prefer organic and friendlier milk and eggs. Especially milk. Tastes better to me.

ETA: Oops, forgot... coconut tea for me today. And a yummy gala apple as a chaser. :)

Jun 13th, '08, 10:27

by Sam. » Jun 13th, '08, 10:27

Space Samurai wrote:
Victoria wrote: Other - because I will choose organic where I have the choice, but I do not seek out only organic.
me too
Me three.

Jun 13th, '08, 10:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jun 13th, '08, 10:30

auggy wrote:the spores always freak me out ... art is supposed to evoke emotion, right?
Always happy to terrorize others!

The only thing organic I am consistent about is milk. I fear the hormones: whatever makes a lady cow lactate is probably something I don't need more of.

Jun 13th, '08, 10:41

by Beanbean » Jun 13th, '08, 10:41

In a perfect world, I suppose I'd prefer that EVERYTHING be organic but our world is far from perfect. Basically, I buy the tea that I like and if it's organic, groovy.

This morning I'm drinking Pure Assam from Grace Tea and I realize that I'm almost out of both my Assam and my Ceylon so I have to go shopping...wheeeee!! :D

Jun 13th, '08, 10:45

by TimeforTea » Jun 13th, '08, 10:45

Victoria wrote:Other - because I will choose organic where I have the choice, but I do not seek out only organic.
I agree with Victoria.

In my cup this morning - Anxi Mao Xie from Jing Tea Shop.

Victoria, I cannot wait to see pictures of your new teaware! :D

Jun 13th, '08, 10:52

by TimeforTea » Jun 13th, '08, 10:52

henley wrote:Per your request, here's my shot of Tea on the Beach. Which BTW, tastes better than the other infamous "on the beach" drink. :lol: In the cup was equal parts of Oolong #8 & OBO.Image
Oooh...Henley!! I love this photo!! I can just imagine it framed and hung up in an English woman's beach house somewhere...

Tea on the beach....so jealous... :evil:

Jun 13th, '08, 11:39

by augie » Jun 13th, '08, 11:39

I choose organic if cost is the same. I am not paying extra for organic, especially if I cannot be assured of it's organic-ness.

Nice photos to all who submitted.

Jun 13th, '08, 11:53

by Katrina » Jun 13th, '08, 11:53

It looks like I'm on the same wavelength with lots of others here. For tea I occasionally choose organic if it's available for the tea I want. The options are too few right now to limit myself to only organic. Chicken and egg though - Farmers are going to be motivated to convert if they see a big market, but the market is is not going to get really big until there are more options for buyers.

For other foods I have a few that I'm adamant about - milk, eggs, and chicken and certain fruits and veggies. In case anyone is interested, the Environmental Working Group put out a list of the things that you should always buy organic (highest pesticide use): http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php. I got a lot more strict after some health issues here and when the kids were born.

Spring 2007 Oolong again today. I'm getting in a rut...But it's just sooo good!

Jun 13th, '08, 12:17

by jogrebe » Jun 13th, '08, 12:17

My teaday is centered around yixing teaware and a little bit of everything.

Jun 13th, '08, 12:23

by Geekgirl » Jun 13th, '08, 12:23

Salsero wrote:

The ferns are Holly Ferns.
I really love this one. We have a fern in the front that will reach about 4' high by summer's end. Looks nothing like this though.

I chose other, like many, I'll choose organic if there's an option. Like Katrina, I'm more concerned with my poultry, dairy, certain grains, etc. Fortunately Portland has a high proportion of consumers who want pesticide-free and hormone-free foods, coffees and teas, so we have a little greater access than much of the country. Of course, we are also now getting smog... :evil: Win some lose some.

Bai Hao oolong from SensationalTeas (another sample) in my cup. I like it, I think it runs a close second to the Oolong #40 sample I tried.

Yes, more rice grain porcelain too. This is the only other one I have, also from my grandfather's estate.

Jun 13th, '08, 12:34

by Salsero » Jun 13th, '08, 12:34

jogrebe wrote:My teaday is centered around yixing teaware and a little bit of everything.

Jogrebe, you've got a three ring circus going there with a tank for the high dive act! That is some serious tea action, man.