Thursday will be TeaDay 6/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your ONE favorite teaware color is...?

Clear
27%
White
11%
Blue
16%
Green
7%
Brown
13%
red/orange
4%
Purple
No votes
Tan
2%
Black
2%
Silver
No votes
Other
18%

Total votes: 45

Jun 19th, '08, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 14:58

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Chip wrote: It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.
Maybe it's beginner's luck. I'm back on the shincha this morning, and just can't get the wonderful flavor I got out of it last night. This latest try is the closest, 160F water, 45 second steep, but it's still not right. :(
This is not too unusual. Stay with it. Often it seems the first session is mind blowing...hard to repeat the sensation. But you will enjoy it more and more, trust me. Also be willing to experiment a bit...more leaf, less leaf. What works for one sencha does not work for another often times.

Remember the basics and I try not to alter more than one element at a time unless I am convinced that I erred on multible elements.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 19th, '08, 14:59

by Geekgirl » Jun 19th, '08, 14:59

Pentox wrote:
henley wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: LOVE it! My kitchen drainboard often looks like this, except much less "English." LOL!
Thanx! I think I'm the only person on the board who doesn't own a stitch of asian teaware.
That can be fixed.
ROTFL! I was just thinking the same thing!

Jun 19th, '08, 15:00

by Geekgirl » Jun 19th, '08, 15:00

Chip wrote:
This is not too unusual. Stay with it. Often it seems the first session is mind blowing...hard to repeat the sensation. But you will enjoy it more and more, trust me. Also be willing to experiment a bit...more leaf, less leaf. What works for one sencha does not work for another often times.

Remember the basics and I try not to alter more than one element at a time unless I am convinced that I erred on multible elements.
Probably a good thing the first session turns out soooo yummy! Otherwise it would be all to easy to throw in the (tea)towel.

Jun 19th, '08, 15:03

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 15:03

joelbct wrote:I have a favorite country's teaware, but not a favorite color tea ware.

This morning-

Horai-no-mukashi from Ippodo. Not quite as good as their Wakamatsu, but a decent matcha for the price.

Then Shincha at work later. I made 2 gallons of concentrated Sencha/Shincha blend for Iced/Room Temp Green Tea the next couple weeks: O-Cha Shincha Kagoshima Yutaka Midori and Ito En Kagoshima Chiran Kanaya Midori... Delicious!
OK...I am having matcha in a bit!!! Tenuki yesterday and you today have convinced me.

In Vegas, I had sooo much matcha, more than I have had in my life. I do love it...just not as approachable for me I guess. But at the expo, I would make my daily rounds for the matcha tastings.

Jun 19th, '08, 15:04

by henley » Jun 19th, '08, 15:04

auggy wrote:
Chip wrote: It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.
I just followed the directions written on there and it was wonderful. So yeah, someone else did all the work!
Auggy's right. Someone else did all the work & we got to reap the benefits! :wink: Thanx for that 5th try cause you definitely got it right.
Chip wrote:This as remarkable because it is causing problems amoung the regular sencha group.
Anybody who doesn't want their hatsumi, LMK!

Jun 19th, '08, 15:07

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 15:07

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Chip wrote:

Probably a good thing the first session turns out soooo yummy! Otherwise it would be all to easy to throw in the (tea)towel.
Once so shincha sencha smitten...it is hard to go back to not having sencha! :D

Jun 19th, '08, 15:26

Re: Hibiki-an Shincha Fukamushi

by Salsero » Jun 19th, '08, 15:26

Chip wrote:I am guessing second steep?
Dang you are good! You got that on the nose.
henley wrote:Thought I would post a reality check.
What, you don't run those puppies through the dishwasher? :wink:
Last edited by Salsero on Jun 19th, '08, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 19th, '08, 15:27

by bi lew chun » Jun 19th, '08, 15:27

Salsero wrote:
bi lew chun wrote:Sometimes if I'm about to walk out the door I add tea to a bottle of water and go (the sports bottles seem to filter the tea pretty well).
Powdered sencha is phenomenal this way.
Hmm, I will have to try it! I'm partial to green oolongs and long jing. Just a little bit of tea makes room-temp water taste really good really fast.

Jun 19th, '08, 15:41

by Pentox » Jun 19th, '08, 15:41

Ah it sounds like so many are enjoying such a wonderful green day. Sencha/shincha all around for eeeeveryoneee!

Jun 19th, '08, 15:44

by henley » Jun 19th, '08, 15:44

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Pentox wrote:
henley wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: LOVE it! My kitchen drainboard often looks like this, except much less "English." LOL!
Thanx! I think I'm the only person on the board who doesn't own a stitch of asian teaware.
That can be fixed.
ROTFL! I was just thinking the same thing!
Does this mean I get to go thru everybody's photos & pick out what I want? :lol:

by RussianSoul » Jun 19th, '08, 15:44

Chip wrote:
henley wrote:And Mr Mailman was my friend today & definitely saved the best package for last! :D Had Sencha Overture & Magnolia Oolong for lunch. Verdict is still out on both of them. While the sencha didn't have the usual 'green' taste I describe, it was NOWHERE near as good as the Shincha Hatsumi. The magnolia oolong was pleasantly surprising but not sure that I would order it.
It is amazing how the Hatsumi is impressing recipients of the box pass. This as remarkable because it is causing problems amoung the regular sencha group.

It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.

Having nailed it finally, I do love it. But I could have given up.
Heh! Not so amazing... I included very specific directions... Glued them to the tin. After figuring it out with Chip's help. If they are following the directions, they'll get it right every time. Heh!

by LavenderPekoe » Jun 19th, '08, 15:44

Hmm, I said clear because I really still like glass...

Today in the cup has been Organic peach from Ambrosia teas (thanks to Victoria) and Harney & sons Apple Cin (thanks to the box).

I am having a fight with the RSS feed today. I missed a whole page of these comments that didn't come across. :(
Teas for trade:

Jun 19th, '08, 15:56

by Chip » Jun 19th, '08, 15:56

RussianSoul wrote:
Chip wrote: It is amazing how the Hatsumi is impressing recipients of the box pass. This as remarkable because it is causing problems amoung the regular sencha group.

It is also amazing, newbies are nailing it first try, took me 5 tries this year to figure it out...and I am not alone.

Heh! Not so amazing... I included very specific directions... Glued them to the tin. After figuring it out with Chip's help. If they are following the directions, they'll get it right every time. Heh!
Now that is embarassing...this keeps coming back full circle to Russian Soul and then to me... :oops:

Well, I am glad I played a small part in others enjoyment of this challenging sencha. Seriously, if you can nail this one, you can nail any sencha. A lot of sencha vets have fallen by the way side with the Hatsumi this year which is a shame because it is really good.
Last edited by Chip on Jun 19th, '08, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.

Jun 19th, '08, 15:58

by auggy » Jun 19th, '08, 15:58

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:
Chip wrote: It is amazing how the Hatsumi is impressing recipients of the box pass. This as remarkable because it is causing problems amoung the regular sencha group.

Now that is embarassing...this keeps coming back full circle to Russian Soul and then to me... :oops:

Well, I am glad I played a small part in others enjoyment of this challenging sencha. Seriously, if you can nail this one, you can nail any sencha. A lot of sencha vets have fallen by the way side with the Hatsumi this year which is a shame because it is really good.
Just further proof of your total and complete coolness!Image

Jun 19th, '08, 16:09

Re: Hibiki-an Shincha Fukamushi

by henley » Jun 19th, '08, 16:09

Salsero wrote:
henley wrote:Thought I would post a reality check.
What, you don't run those puppies through the dishwasher? :wink:
The day you run your kyusu through the dishwasher, I'll put my teapot in, too! :lol: