Wednesday TeaDay 6/25/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

"How quickly or easily do you "give up" on a tea you do not like...at least initially?" asks Auggy.

One attempt
11%
2-4 attempts
67%
5 or more attempts if I feel I am "figuring it out"
13%
To the "bitter" end!
9%

Total votes: 55

Jun 25th, '08, 09:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '08, 09:45

omegapd wrote: Already had a couple cups of Upton's Osmanthus Oolong this morning. Woke up about 5am, couldn't go back to sleep, so watched the sun come up with some tea and a nice cigar. Wish I could start every morning like that...

EW
Me too - oh - but without the cigar.
:)

Jun 25th, '08, 09:51

by CynTEAa » Jun 25th, '08, 09:51

Usually 2-4 times.

Just Yunnan Gold so far this morning and it was perfect!

Jun 25th, '08, 10:04

Re: Nilgiri in Royal Albert

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '08, 10:04

Salsero wrote:From the Thiashola Estate, this Nilgiri is displayed in a Feminine Powercup. This is only the second Nilgiri that I have had, but they have both been really fine. The leaves look pretty fully oxidized*, but the taste is tangy and fruity, something I would more expect from an oolong than a black tea. Go figure. The fifth infusion of this puppy was getting a little weak, but I got four very satisfying steeps from a modest amount of leaf.

• Further examination of the above available to those who are willing to CLIK
*Spent leaf voyeurs may see all HERE.
Very nice Pic - and nice closeup of the brewed leaves. Nice touch!
Where did you find this Nilgiri? You had me at "but the taste is tangy and fruity, something I would more expect from an oolong than a black tea."

Jun 25th, '08, 10:40

by geeber1 » Jun 25th, '08, 10:40

Love the "Powercup!" Salsero, your photos are just lovely!

I'm pretty new to tea but can pretty much decide at first taste if I really hate something.

If it tastes so-so, I'll give it another try or two before giving up. I have a few sample-size tins that are still almost full, I gave a couple to a friend and am just waiting to find someone else who would enjoy them more than I did.

This morning I didn't have time to make any tea, so I have iced ginger peach that I brought along with me to work.

Jun 25th, '08, 10:48

by auggy » Jun 25th, '08, 10:48

Sal, lovely picture! Very striking.

I usually give a tea two times to click with me. Even if it is not a brewing thing but a taste thing (a tea that is smoky, for instance) I'll try to give it another shot a week or so later to confirm I didn't like it. I usually am more tenacious if I know it is a good tea and the dislike of it is a brewing issue, but I have to see some decent improvement in the second brewing to keep trying. Ultimately, there are too many teas out there that I like to waste tons of time working to figure out how to brew a tea I might like. Hopefully that makes sense - I feel like I'm still asleep so logic and I are not friends at the moment.

Orange tea today. Didn't have quite enough for my normal morning serving so mixed some vanilla in there. Was pretty good, but would have rocked with a splash of milk.

Last night I sipped on some jade oolong while I scrapbooked and then got my new PINK laptop all set up. I'm such a dork. But the pinkness makes me giggle. Well, that and the flamingos that are my desktop wallpaper. I look forward to getting home so I can play with it some more. It has a webcam and biometric finger swipe. Yeah, not sure if I will ever actually need those, but couldn't get it without so now it is a point of honor to figure out how to use them.

Jun 25th, '08, 10:53

by Victoria » Jun 25th, '08, 10:53

I agree with Trey -
One attempt period.
Life's too short to drink bad tea.

In my cup this morning - Adagio Yunnan Gold

Have a nice day eyeryone!

Jun 25th, '08, 10:56

by henley » Jun 25th, '08, 10:56

Nice pic, Sal. The pattern reminds me of Old Country Roses.

I only have to taste the tea once to know whether or not I like it. If not, it goes down the sink. However, I will keep trying the tea but change the parameters. Case in point is what's in my cup this morning---TKY! I reeeally lowered the water temp on this one. 150* finally produced a cup that was palatable. Had this temp not worked, I was ready to concede. In spite of finding the right temp, I do not see me reordering this oolong. There are others that I enjoy more.

And the cup is a recent purchase that was inspired by all y'all. I'd like to introduce you to my first piece of "Asian" teaware...

Jun 25th, '08, 10:59

by chamekke » Jun 25th, '08, 10:59

auggy wrote:I usually give a tea two times to click with me. Even if it is not a brewing thing but a taste thing (a tea that is smoky, for instance) I'll try to give it another shot a week or so later to confirm I didn't like it. I usually am more tenacious if I know it is a good tea and the dislike of it is a brewing issue, but I have to see some decent improvement in the second brewing to keep trying. Ultimately, there are too many teas out there that I like to waste tons of time working to figure out how to brew a tea I might like. Hopefully that makes sense - I feel like I'm still asleep so logic and I are not friends at the moment.
Yes, it makes sense. That's exactly how I feel about it - except that maybe I'll give the tea up to four tries, because I'm rarely confident that I've got the parameters right and it doesn't seem fair to blame that on the tea.
auggy wrote:Last night I sipped on some jade oolong while I scrapbooked and then got my new PINK laptop all set up. I'm such a dork. But the pinkness makes me giggle. Well, that and the flamingos that are my desktop wallpaper. I look forward to getting home so I can play with it some more.
Photos of your pink laptop, please! Maybe even with some (pink?) feminine powerware next to it :wink:

Jun 25th, '08, 11:03

by omegapd » Jun 25th, '08, 11:03

Victoria wrote:
Me too - oh - but without the cigar.
:)
Your husband hasn't got you hooked on that yet? 8)

Nice pic, Henley. I'm sure enjoying the weather up here in your neck of the woods for a few days...

Jun 25th, '08, 11:14

by auggy » Jun 25th, '08, 11:14

chamekke wrote: Photos of your pink laptop, please! Maybe even with some (pink?) feminine powerware next to it :wink:
Hehe - I was actually planning on doing that tonight! Pics of my pretty pink laptop and a cup of tea beside it so I could post the picture and it still be tea related! :lol: Sadly, no pink teaware and that's something that I just realized I need to fix ASAP!

Jun 25th, '08, 11:27

by henley » Jun 25th, '08, 11:27

auggy wrote:
chamekke wrote: Photos of your pink laptop, please! Maybe even with some (pink?) feminine powerware next to it :wink:
Hehe - I was actually planning on doing that tonight! Pics of my pretty pink laptop and a cup of tea beside it so I could post the picture and it still be tea related! :lol: Sadly, no pink teaware and that's something that I just realized I need to fix ASAP!
Just pleeeease don't spill the tea in the computer! :shock: :lol:

Now go get some pink teaware.

Glad you're enjoying yourself, Omegapd. Maybe next time we can all get together for lunch.
Last edited by henley on Jun 25th, '08, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 25th, '08, 11:28

by themadhatter444 » Jun 25th, '08, 11:28

Hate to say it, but I usually give up after one go if I'm not into the tea. I can usually guesstimate how it's going to taste by smelling it while it's in the tin first. If I don't like what I smell, I'll give it the taste test. If it fails both, I know I'm just not going to like it.

That said, I usually keep the teas I don't like, though. I want to try and go back to them at some point. Everyone deserves a second chance, even if it's not immediately. :)

Started the day off with some Pi Lo Chun that came in last night. Loved it! Still looking for my "every day" green. Currently, it's Green Anji. Going to try Honeybush tonight as well. Not too excited, as I expected a more Rooibos smell since they look identical. Boy was I wrong...

Jun 25th, '08, 11:30

by neowolf » Jun 25th, '08, 11:30

I always give it at least another go assuming I might have bothced the preparation somehow. Now I won't just keep on trying if it's just awful. I'm not a masochist, but I'm not gonna let myself miss out either!

Currently drinking citron green~

Jun 25th, '08, 12:01

by Riene » Jun 25th, '08, 12:01

I'll give a "bad" cup a few sips, but if I don't like it, it goes down the drain. I will try the blend a couple more times at different concentrations/steeping times to see if it improves, and if I still don't like it I "accidentally" leave it at work for someone else to enjoy.

I haven't found an herbal tisane yet that I've liked.

PG tips this morning...I needed to wake up.

Feminine powercups rock!

Jun 25th, '08, 12:06

by olivierco » Jun 25th, '08, 12:06

Now I am drinking an oolong sample sent by scruffmcgruff (Many thanks!)
Mystery Wuyi Yancha A.
It has been a while since the last time that I used my gaiwan. So far I managed not to burn myself and not to spill too much tea which is already a little victory for me...