Friday is dedicated to TeaDay, 6/27/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Rate your current teas, in general!

5, my current teas are top notch, off the hook!!!
18%
4, my current teas are very good
61%
3, my current teas are good
18%
2, ok, I am struggling a bit
4%
1, I need HELP!
No votes

Total votes: 56

Jun 27th, '08, 21:04

by insanitylater » Jun 27th, '08, 21:04

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote: What leaf to water ratio do you use? Do you start with cold water...ice? Thanx!
insanitylater wrote: so when you cold brew you can do multiple infusions ? is that only the ice method

i usually leave my sencha leaves in the fridge overnight and just drink the one infusion. it's divine though
I use a few different methods for cold brewing. The first distinction is between ice brewing and cold brewing. Ice brewing is when you start with ice and ice alone and let the ice melt to create the tea. I don't have much experience with this particular method. The second is cold brewing where you use water ranging from cool to ice cold. This method is described more in my blog.

But for a quick answer, chip : between 1.0:1.2 g / oz. and for insanity : yes.
i've never heard of 90 second cold brewing :shock:
would that even work

Jun 27th, '08, 21:08

by Pentox » Jun 27th, '08, 21:08

insanitylater wrote:
Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote: What leaf to water ratio do you use? Do you start with cold water...ice? Thanx!
insanitylater wrote: so when you cold brew you can do multiple infusions ? is that only the ice method

i usually leave my sencha leaves in the fridge overnight and just drink the one infusion. it's divine though
I use a few different methods for cold brewing. The first distinction is between ice brewing and cold brewing. Ice brewing is when you start with ice and ice alone and let the ice melt to create the tea. I don't have much experience with this particular method. The second is cold brewing where you use water ranging from cool to ice cold. This method is described more in my blog.

But for a quick answer, chip : between 1.0:1.2 g / oz. and for insanity : yes.
i've never heard of 90 second cold brewing :shock:
would that even work
Yeah, it actually works pretty well. You don't get an incredibly strong tea flavor, but rather it's very subtle and sweet. The first cup is quite good, but it is VERY tea dependent. Gyokuros and high grade senchas are the best for it. They open up easily and have a very nice flavor to them. I've tried lower grade teas for the same thing, but it's just not the same. Sometimes it's even quite foul.

Jun 27th, '08, 22:36

by cane » Jun 27th, '08, 22:36

Salsero wrote:
cane wrote:Here is what I am drinking today, one of many mystery samples. Image
Wow, what thoughtful tasting notes and such pretty pictures, esp the last one ... you really make me want some of that mystery green! Is that the gaiwan from your avatar? What's the line running down the side? Is that what Chip has termed an overlap design?
Glad to spark enthusiasm!
The cup pictured is not the gaiwan from my avatar (that was pictured yesterTEAday), it is just a simple white ceramic cup, but it does have a little raised notch in the side, a "defect" I assume, but I enjoy it as much if not more than if it was "perfect"

Jun 27th, '08, 23:24

by henley » Jun 27th, '08, 23:24

auggy wrote: I actually did get a pink depression glass tea cup in the mail yesterday so woo hoo! No pink monkey on it, though. I might need to fix that! Might have to hit eBay some more and search for him! :lol:

The cup I got yesterday:

Also came with a dessert plate that I didn't care about one way or another but turned out to be quite pretty.

The pink depression glass is always a classic & especially the cabbage rose pattern. Very pretty set. I like eating bfast off the dessert plates, especially if it matches or coordinates w/my cup & saucer. Enjoy!

Jun 28th, '08, 00:48

by joelbct » Jun 28th, '08, 00:48

I say 5, my current tea's pretty much rock... I am quite the lucky tea-ophile to get to drink what I drink and to know where to find it.

I've been on a hardcore vendor-seeking mission for a couple years now, and the work has paid serious dividends...

...thanks in no small part to finding teachat and heeding the impressive collective knowledge and experience here.

Yes, I have come a looooong way from teabags Image

Jun 28th, '08, 00:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 28th, '08, 00:54

I ended up getting in quite a few cups today for a change.

My last was a second steep of Baozhong. About 75 ounces total today.
Humm maybe that should be a poll.

:)

Jun 28th, '08, 04:21

by bi lew chun » Jun 28th, '08, 04:21

Tamaryokucha was in my cup earlier today, and I capped things off with a little Xiang Hua.

Still figuring out this Leica. It does funny things to color.

Jun 28th, '08, 12:06
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 28th, '08, 12:06

Nice pic! Love the reflection!
And the simple white cup, lovely.

Jun 28th, '08, 12:20

by joelbct » Jun 28th, '08, 12:20

bi lew chun wrote:Still figuring out this Leica. It does funny things to color.
Oooh a Leica, I just read they were making digital camera's now. Imagine that!

I think all color photography does funny things to color, though...

Jun 28th, '08, 15:36

by bi lew chun » Jun 28th, '08, 15:36

Victoria wrote:Nice pic! Love the reflection!
And the simple white cup, lovely.
Thankso.
joelbct wrote:Oooh a Leica, I just read they were making digital camera's now. Imagine that!

I think all color photography does funny things to color, though...
I've wanted a Leica for some time now, but using this one (my friend's) may have changed my mind.

And yes, you're right. I guess I need a camera that does funny things to color that I find agreeable.