Friday is dedicated to TeaDay, 6/27/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Rate your current teas, in general!

5, my current teas are top notch, off the hook!!!
18%
4, my current teas are very good
61%
3, my current teas are good
18%
2, ok, I am struggling a bit
4%
1, I need HELP!
No votes

Total votes: 56

Jun 27th, '08, 13:54

by Pentox » Jun 27th, '08, 13:54

Cold Brewed Hibiki-an farmer's shincha this morning.

I voted a 4 since i've been trying out a lot of new stuff that has been dropping the average. It's really more of a 3-4 range at the moment.

Jun 27th, '08, 14:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jun 27th, '08, 14:08

Drinking 1998 Lincang Jia Ji Yinhao Tuocha sheng puerh brewed Euro style in a glass mug. (I feel like such a tramp) I'm not even timing my infusions! I think I'm on the fifth, and it's sweeter than it was at the outset.

This is a nice pu that doesn't really taste its ten-year age. According to Jim, it was dry stored in Kunming, which would explain it being a little less lush than expected. The rough edge has mellowed off, but it hasn't started getting that walking-in-the-woods-after-a-rain taste that ABx can be so poetic in describing. It's still mostly a mushroomy series of sweet tastes.

I'm thinking of getting a couple more of these and putting them in my pu humidifier. They could perk up pretty quick in there maybe.
ImageImage

Jun 27th, '08, 14:11

by Salsero » Jun 27th, '08, 14:11

Riene wrote:Sarah, how do you do ice brewing? I don't think I've heard of this before.
I'm sure Sarah's comments will be most enlightening, but you can also check out the two blogs referenced in my photo for today at the beginning of this thread.

Jun 27th, '08, 14:32

by Tadpole » Jun 27th, '08, 14:32

My current tea stash is very good. Not top notch, off the hook because I do need to sustain myself with solid food!

From Red Blossom:
Silver Needle 08
Wenshan Baozhong 08
Shan Lin Xi (a mix of Winter 06 and Spring 07 leaves, still has a rich flavor)
Gold Thread (a very tippy Yunnan black tea)
Jasmine Pearls

From Samovar Tea Lounge:
Monkey Picked Tieguanyin (Taiwan grown TKY, med-dark roast, REALLY fruity)

Herbals:
Chamomile (whole)
Ginger (teabags)
Chai spices without tea leaves

and....a container of low-med quality matcha powder avaible at Whole Foods
that I use for my soy matcha shakes.

I like keeping a wide range for guests and for my own enjoyment.

Jun 27th, '08, 14:32

yesterday and today

by laran7 » Jun 27th, '08, 14:32

About yesterday's poll- I voted for the larger amount of tea rather than the one perfect experience; I am practical - and like to drink tea all day ( or at least have the option.) I realized that finding out what someone more practised than I am considers a well brewed cup might be enlightening.

That said - I have confidence in the teas I usually drink now - darjeeling, oolong and gunpowder with mint. (All for different times and reasons ). I just want to keep experimenting and maybe do a better with them.

( I do not rule out trying new things by any means )

Jun 27th, '08, 14:49

by scruffmcgruff » Jun 27th, '08, 14:49

I said 4. I have some pretty good teas, but nothing legendary, and a bunch that are sub-par. My best teas are in the shincha or yancha categories, I think. I have some old pu samples that I haven't gone through yet, and a bunch of odds and ends. I still have a bunch of old Indian teas I should probably get rid of too; I've more or less lost my taste for them, and some give me weird headaches. :(
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jun 27th, '08, 14:50

by henley » Jun 27th, '08, 14:50

Sneaking in a second cuppa today. Enjoying Pouchong. This is really becoming a new favorite!

Hey, Auggy! Did you find any pink teaware yet? Stumbled across this on ebay.

Jun 27th, '08, 15:01

by geeber1 » Jun 27th, '08, 15:01

That is one awesome cup!

Jun 27th, '08, 15:02

by Pentox » Jun 27th, '08, 15:02

Lol that cup is so perfect for Auggy.

Jun 27th, '08, 15:03

by Katrina » Jun 27th, '08, 15:03

I said 4 because I have some that I think are fantastic, some that are serviceable and some that I just haven't tried yet. As I try new ones, I replace others. It will always be a work in progress and it's the best job I've ever had. :wink:

Golden Monkey again today. A really good one. Hooray!
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jun 27th, '08, 15:36

by Chip » Jun 27th, '08, 15:36

Hatsumi currently on a hot day...the cold brewing is sounding more and more appealing with each passing day. It is out of my comfort zone though. Guess I am way too set in my ways and should just do it.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 27th, '08, 15:40

by Pentox » Jun 27th, '08, 15:40

Chip wrote:Hatsumi currently on a hot day...the cold brewing is sounding more and more appealing with each passing day. It is out of my comfort zone though. Guess I am way too set in my ways and should just do it.
Psh just do it! If you don't like it after first or second infusion just switch the leaves over to hot.

Jun 27th, '08, 15:53

by omegapd » Jun 27th, '08, 15:53

kymidwife wrote:
I'm still drinking Revolution's DragonEye Oolong iced this morning...
I've got a couple cups of it hot this afternoon. My wife picked up a box of this and their White Pear yesterday. Hadn't tried the Pear because I don't normally like white teas, but this oolong is pretty good.

EW

Jun 27th, '08, 16:14

by Chip » Jun 27th, '08, 16:14

Pentox wrote:
Chip wrote:Hatsumi currently on a hot day...the cold brewing is sounding more and more appealing with each passing day. It is out of my comfort zone though. Guess I am way too set in my ways and should just do it.
Psh just do it! If you don't like it after first or second infusion just switch the leaves over to hot.
I read that some people here go iced after several steeps of hot...this sounds particularly appealing...like having my cake and eating it too. I get the best hot steeps, then cold brew. I would likely do this more with sencha.

Does this make sense?
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 27th, '08, 16:28

by cane » Jun 27th, '08, 16:28

I put myself down a a 4. I have my old stand bys but I also try alot of samples and usually will keep them if they arent the greatest for iced tea, failed recipe attempts, etc etc.

Here is what I am drinking today, one of many mystery samples. It is a bi lo chun, though it is a much tighter roll than I am used to seeing from a bi lo chun. It has an appealing aroma, with nice sweet points to it. No bitterness, just real smooth. Perhaps a little thinner than I would prefer, but overall a very nice simple green tea.