Sunday shall be TeaDay 6/29/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Your top priority teaware purchase right now would be...?

A Teapot
28%
A teacup (s)
15%
An electric kettle
2%
Another type of kettle
4%
A gaiwan
9%
A chawan
No votes
Something for under teaware, a saucer, tray, coaster...
13%
A water cooler
No votes
An iced tea brewing vessel
6%
Other
6%
Nothing
17%

Total votes: 47

Jun 29th, '08, 04:10
Scrolling: scrolling

Sunday shall be TeaDay 6/29/08

by Chip » Jun 29th, '08, 04:10

Yesterday's poll revealed TeaChatters drank a lot of tea liquid on average. The top vote getter was a quart. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Welcome everyone to TeaDay, let's brew and share what is in our cups today...all day!!!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is about teaware priorities...what are yours. Any teaware purchases on your radar? Please share.

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone. Bottoms up, refill, and repeat often...

Jun 29th, '08, 04:14

Shui Jin Gui

by Salsero » Jun 29th, '08, 04:14

Shui Jin Gui is one of the Four Famous Tea Bushes or Si Da Ming Cong of the Wuyi mountains. This is the first time I have had this medium oolong. Shui Jin Gui apparently means Golden Sea Turtle, and if you guessed there was a far-fetched story to go with the name, how could you be wrong!

The tea presented some roasted flavors at first, transitioning into an apricot-like fruitiness. There was a modest amount of nice aftertaste, and very little body, by which I mean viscosity or thickness. I lost track of the infusions, but it went more than 5 and probably less than 10.

If you click on the photo you can get a closer look at the subtle shading on the cloisonné vase and the subtle shading of the Artemisia.

Jun 29th, '08, 04:22

by Victoria » Jun 29th, '08, 04:22

Nice Sal, looks good, I don't think I'd tried that one either.

For me, my next purchase is a Bodum French press.

Been looking at them trying to decide. Not sure which size to buy
and if I should buy the double walled or not.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Jun 29th, '08, 04:53

by olivierco » Jun 29th, '08, 04:53

Having spent lately much (perhaps too much) on teaware, no top priority teaware to buy right now.
If I see a tray or chataku or yunomi or kobukusa or canister or any other nice teaware, it doesn't mean I won't buy it though.

This morning Yunnan golden tips.

Jun 29th, '08, 05:24

by Terrasi » Jun 29th, '08, 05:24

I'm content with how I make my tea, but disappointed every time I have to pour the tea into a bugs bunny mug or something of the sort.

A teacup would be my next purchase.

Jun 29th, '08, 05:32

by henley » Jun 29th, '08, 05:32

Terrasi wrote:I'm content with how I make my tea, but disappointed every time I have to pour the tea into a bugs bunny mug or something of the sort.

A teacup would be my next purchase.
Tea definitely tastes better when drinking it from something pretty.

Reeeeeally don't need anymore teaware but it's always fun to look at new pieces. If I bought anything, it would be a new glass kettle. Mine is several years old (think I may have had it before hubby). It was only used for iced tea until a couple of years ago.

Jun 29th, '08, 06:03

by olivierco » Jun 29th, '08, 06:03

henley wrote: Tea definitely tastes better when drinking it from something pretty.
I don't really agree with this although it would be a justification for me to buy expensive teacups or chawans

Houjicha karigane with my lunch.

Jun 29th, '08, 07:41

by omegapd » Jun 29th, '08, 07:41

I have everything I need but a tray of some sort. It's not a pressing item, though...

Just got up. Hadn't had any Red Rose for a couple of days, so that's what will be brewed this morning.

Enjoy Sunday!

EW

Jun 29th, '08, 08:17

by britt » Jun 29th, '08, 08:17

I don't need any more teaware, but that doesn't mean I don't want more. I've gone a week now without buying anything, so my rehabilitation is on schedule until the next time Artistic Nippon, Magokorodo, or Zencha list something new. Running out of shelf space does help.

Hatsumi this morning while doing laundry; I'm actually starting to like this stuff.

Jun 29th, '08, 08:30

by britt » Jun 29th, '08, 08:30

henley wrote:Tea definitely tastes better when drinking it from something pretty.
I think the teaware can change the overall perception and feeling of drinking tea, for better or worse, depending on the specific teaware and an individual's personal taste. I definitely enjoy the experience more when using a Hokujo Sujihiki kyusu and a Bizen cup, or a Hokoju Yohen kyusu with an Aohagi cup, then I would using a lesser Tokoname kyusu and a coffee mug grabbed randomly from the cabinet.

IMO the same holds true for matcha chawan.

If this were not true, there'd be more money in my bank account and a lot less posts on the "show off your pots and cups" thread. However, there are some who can enjoy tea with the basics, so this does depend on the individual. As time goes on, however, even they may change!

Jun 29th, '08, 08:38

by TimeforTea » Jun 29th, '08, 08:38

I just want to get a second ForLife tea pot so I can brew 2 oolongs at a time for me and my husband, as he is starting to get into the oolongs. He seems to enjoy them lighter and weaker.

This morning I brewed a nice mug of TKY. Maybe I'll have some casa-blanca twist iced later in the day.

Jun 29th, '08, 09:28

by witches brew » Jun 29th, '08, 09:28

You know, I have been slightly tempted to get an iced tea brewing set. Summer is just beginning, and I do enjoy iced tea.

In my glass this morning, iced mugicha. For the uninitiated, this is roasted barley tea. It has a nutty, toast flavor. Very refreshing.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jun 29th, '08, 09:45

Coolness

by laran7 » Jun 29th, '08, 09:45

I should have answered "teapot", but since I just bought a new one (whose infuser is much too small I've discovered) and the weather has suddenly and sporadically become so hot and muggy muggy muggy that ice is what I think about and crave in everything.

I'm brewing third steep darjeeling leaves in the fridge overnight and like having
a light cool beverage at hand. Its not really necessary to have a special ice tea brewing vessel. But it would be so convenient.

Jun 29th, '08, 11:09

by olivierco » Jun 29th, '08, 11:09

Miyabi shincha right now.

Jun 29th, '08, 11:11

by Victoria » Jun 29th, '08, 11:11

This morning's tea is LiShan from FLT.
A very nice pale high mountain oolong
with a slight vegatal taste.