Monday, OOLONG BOX PASS DAY, 7/07/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Oolong Box Pass sets sail today across the USA. Where would you like your next oolong to come from?

China
33%
Taiwan
45%
India
No votes
Korea
No votes
Nepal
No votes
Thailand
5%
Other
17%

Total votes: 42

Jul 7th, '08, 14:39

by TimeforTea » Jul 7th, '08, 14:39

Victoria wrote:Yay!! Oolong Box Pass

I voted Taiwan! Everyone knows - or should know if they have been paying attention - the best green oolongs come from the high mountain areas of Taiwan.
What she said. :D

Jul 7th, '08, 14:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jul 7th, '08, 14:42

scruffmcgruff wrote:I'm surprised so many people are saying Taiwan (aside from its apparent non-existence as a separate entity, according to the good ol' PRC)! Taiwanese oolongs are great, but China has so much more easily-obtainable variety.
I think the Wuyi and Dan Cong drinkers are a tiny minority among a sea of the light green oolongs, just what Taiwan specializes in.

On the other hand, the volume of the mainland's TGY production must be huge.

Jul 7th, '08, 15:23

by kymidwife » Jul 7th, '08, 15:23

omegapd wrote:Enjoying a cup today of kymidwife's Cran Cherry Adagio blend. I had gotten away from the flavored teas in the last few days and this is really great! I think it'll make a super iced tea when my fridge pitcher is empty next time...

(even got 2 steeps out of it. 4 minute first one and 7 minute second- perfect!)

Thanks, Sarah!

EW
I'm so glad you are enjoying it! I started with that blend trying to replicate something close to Teavana's Sweet Cranberry Black... but as I am a big cherry lover, I decided to go CranCherry instead of just cranberry. I always worry with cherry flavors that it might come out tasting like cough syrup... so I was relieved to find the blend very pleasing. And yes, I love it iced. I throw in an extra scoop of black tea to lighten the fruit flavor a bit sometimes, but I have enjoyed it both ways.

I drank your RedRose this morning... made a massively delicious hot cup with cream and sugar. Mmmmmm.

I actually had an oolong craving today, so just brewed up some Adagio TKY... and freakin LOVING it unsweetened and all. It is amazing to me how my tastes are changing to accomodate something besides uber-sweet flavored teas (but I still love those too). Can't wait to finish this cup and sample a 2nd infusion.

Ahhhh, the journey.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jul 7th, '08, 15:30

by witches brew » Jul 7th, '08, 15:30

Of the infrequent cups of oolong that I've had, the Taiwan-as-a-tea-producing-region-though-not-a-poilitical-entity (whew!) oolong was delightful, so that's my vote.

I didn't know there were Indian oolongs. Anything worthwhile?

I had genmaicha for morning tea, and am contemplating darjeeling this afternoon.

It's so good to be back with my own treasured teas.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

Jul 7th, '08, 15:35

by olivierco » Jul 7th, '08, 15:35

Rooibos to end the day.

Does someone have a link to Oolong categories?

Jul 7th, '08, 15:39

by tenuki » Jul 7th, '08, 15:39

Some very new shu I'm sampling to see if I want to buy and store for a few years. This is the first infusion, clear as a bell, and tasty. Hmnn, so far so good. Celedon tasting cup from Stephane..

Jul 7th, '08, 15:46

by Chip » Jul 7th, '08, 15:46

Salsero wrote:Course, Chip, you realize that you are not making any friends in the PRC by listing Taiwan separately from China. You wouldn't want to get our president in trouble because you didn't follow our government's "one China" policy, in effect since the Nixon administration.
Fortunately, I am not too into politics. I could not imagine calling Taiwan WenShan BaoZhong Chinese...*shudders* But I like some Chinese oolongs as well.

Currently Ito En's shincha Kagoshima from Joel, this makes a flavorful and potent brew. The price is placing it out of what I would call its "value range" as it is really $$$. But it is a really nice opportunity...thanx Joel.

LOVE that celadon tasting cup, tenuki!!!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 7th, '08, 15:46

by Victoria » Jul 7th, '08, 15:46

~clickable~

Enjoying my current favorite oolong - FLT Alishan Traditional
in my new Hibiki-an cup and new cherry bark accessories!
I'm stylin' today! Tomorrow back to work after 4 days off, ugh!!!

Jul 7th, '08, 15:48

by Chip » Jul 7th, '08, 15:48

I am going to try ali shan in a bit in honor of the OOLONG PASS!!! The dry leaf smells WOW!!!
Last edited by Chip on Jun 27th, '09, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 7th, '08, 16:06

by tenuki » Jul 7th, '08, 16:06

Victoria wrote:... my new Hibiki-an cup and new cherry bark accessories!
I'm stylin' today!
Oh my, you _are_ stylin' !!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jul 7th, '08, 16:11

by rodstnmn » Jul 7th, '08, 16:11

The oolong box pass sounds great. I will be watching it's progress with interest. If it ever tries to sneak a trip into Canada, let me know.
Right now I have Yerba Mate in my cup.

Jul 7th, '08, 16:35

by Tea na » Jul 7th, '08, 16:35

olivierco wrote:Rooibos to end the day.

Does someone have a link to Oolong categories?
My Little Black Book of Tea has these Oolong categories....(they listed Taiwan separate *gasp*!)

Oolong
Formosa – China, Taiwan
Pouchong – China Taiwan
Pu-Er – China
Ti Kwan Yin – China, Taiwan
Wu Yi – China

Tea Na

Jul 7th, '08, 16:40

by henley » Jul 7th, '08, 16:40

Thanx for the compliments on the photo. Sal, don't know much history on the cup except it's marked "Royal Sealy China" & made in Japan. Probably made after WWII so 1950s maybe?
Victoria wrote:WOW!! That cup is GORGEOUS!!
Thought you would like this one. :wink: I've been waiting for just the right occassion to use it & thought the fancy flower needed an extra fancy cup. If the cup hadn't been a gift, I'd trade it for your sakura canister. I've been looking at those reeealy hard since they were first posted.

Off to make a cuppa Pouchong while I fix dinner.

Jul 7th, '08, 16:41

by laran7 » Jul 7th, '08, 16:41

Aphroditea wrote: My husband, while stationed in Korea, did a good deal of vacationing in Thailand and always talks about how beautiful the country is and about all these little hidden treasures like reclining Buddhas and rainforests full of butterflies. I don't know anything about Thai oolongs, but I thought anything tied to the gorgeous vistas he has described would be worth a try :)
So far I really like the TKY - which comes from China - at least according to the
information page - so I voted for China. I haven't really experimented enough to
really chose a place I believe is an "all over" best.

I also think that beautifully tasting tea must come from somewhere extradinary.

Jul 7th, '08, 16:44

by tenuki » Jul 7th, '08, 16:44

Image Image Image
the cosmos wrote: Light sheds its color
The tea answers, nonchalant
I'm here, drink me now
Sun does weird things to Seattlites.... ;)
Last edited by tenuki on Jul 7th, '08, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.