Fanatical Saturday and TeaDay 7/12/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

How fanatical are you about BREW TIMES?

I am very fanatical...brewing down to the second habitually
7%
Pretty fanatical, I try to time brews consistently
30%
Fanatical...got timers beeping
29%
No, just eyeball it
29%
Definitely not, constantly forgeting that I have tea brewing
5%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 56

Jul 12th, '08, 15:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 12th, '08, 15:22

Zodduska wrote:I voted eyeball it since there wasnt really one for counting in my head. I have used timers for longer steep times (1-2min+) but lately I've been using more leaf and shorter steeps 20-40sec, so by the time I set a timer it's almost ready to pour.

No tea yet but today feels like it might be a Sencha day. :shock:
Well...of course...everyday is SenchaDay...
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 12th, '08, 15:37

by RussianSoul » Jul 12th, '08, 15:37

Victoria wrote:This morning in my cup is a lovely dargeeling sample form Salsero - Lochan Teas Darjeeling, Giddapahar Muscatel Imperial, 2nd flush 2007. Wow! This is smooth, fruity and delicious!

~clicky~
Hey, Victoria!

I found the missing second mat - it's in your picture! :D

Jul 12th, '08, 16:43

by RussianSoul » Jul 12th, '08, 16:43

Salsero wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:In my cup - Linn-Shee (Fir Creek) High Mountain Green Oolong from Teahome. 3rd steep, gongfu'ed, timed to precision. Great tea, surprisingly toasty for its green looks.

I found this to be quite an interesting tea myself, though I'm not sure I am as head over heels as you -- especially given your avatar's constant enthusiasm for everything!

Initially, I found an aroma of raisins or dates, but a taste that reminded me of freshwater lakes in northern Minnesota. By the third infusion I was thinking fruity and smelling of butter, with an aftertaste that reminded me again (like the initial aroma) of sweet and dark fruits. I also found it a bit rough on my mouth throughout, but not enough to gripe exactly. Maybe I brewed it too strong: 5.0 grams in 6 oz warmed mug, off boil, 3 m, 4 m, 6 m, 8 m, 10 m, 20 m, 30 m +. The very long final steep was worth doing.

As you say, an interesting tea, and it seems more toasty than you expect, even though TeaHome calls it Light fermentation, extra-light roast . I guess their green style must be the virtually not roasted.
I hope I am not overly enthusiastic about everything - how boring! See the Oolong Box Pass thread, I am talking about a tea I tried today that I didn't like for a change.

I brewed my Linn-Shee differently, gongfu'ed according to Tenuki's suggestion:
tenuki wrote:The whole gaiwan should be packed and the leaves should be gently pushing on the lid. I use about half a gaiwan of leaves, brew boiling water for ~30 seconds, then 20, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc. Try it, see what ya think.
I used only a third of gaiwan of leaf myself to err on the side of caution.

Jul 12th, '08, 17:24

by Salsero » Jul 12th, '08, 17:24

RussianSoul wrote:I hope I am not overly enthusiastic about everything - how boring! See the Oolong Box Pass thread, I am talking about a tea I tried today that I didn't like for a change.
It lifted my spirits to see you trash something!

Really, I didn't mean YOU are overly enthusiastic, just your avatar. Wait a second, that didn't come out right either.

You are great company on TeaChat, never boring, always fun, and your avatar is a cute cartoon.

I better stop before I get into more hot water than into which I already am.

Jul 12th, '08, 18:21

by Chip » Jul 12th, '08, 18:21

Gyokuro from Yame prefecture...pretty good stuff. This would run 50 bucks per 100 grams.

This stuff is best brewed in small infusions in a small pot with a lot of leaf, think gonfu, Japanese style. And starting with VERY low temp..100-115* for the first steep.

...this time around I am using 4 grams per 2 ounces in a tiny gyokuro like pot from Korea. Not a hint of astringency...just has WOWness. I am on my 5th steep brewed much hotter now at 180*.

Gyokuro has more caffeine too I suspect...I definitely caught a buzz off of this.

2 ounces fills this pot comfortably, but next time I will likely go 3 grams per 1.5 ounces so it will reduce the cost of the session and give me less caffeine.

Jul 12th, '08, 18:58

by Victoria » Jul 12th, '08, 18:58

Chip wrote:I also started using the Count Up feature instead of the BLEEPIN' timer that totally ruins the the ambiance created by brewing tea. I am actually finding this much more relaxing and I am more focused on the tea instead of beeping noise...helps me block out the world that the beeping timer is a part of.
Hummm my timers only count down.

Having my Shan-Linn-Shee (Fir Creek) High Mountain Green Oolong – Teahome
sample from the Oolong box pass.
It is decent - a bit sweet - I'll pass on this one.

Jul 12th, '08, 19:09

by RussianSoul » Jul 12th, '08, 19:09

Salsero wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:I hope I am not overly enthusiastic about everything - how boring! See the Oolong Box Pass thread, I am talking about a tea I tried today that I didn't like for a change.
It lifted my spirits to see you trash something!

Really, I didn't mean YOU are overly enthusiastic, just your avatar. Wait a second, that didn't come out right either.

You are great company on TeaChat, never boring, always fun, and your avatar is a cute cartoon.

I better stop before I get into more hot water than into which I already am.
You are OK so far. Unless you are guilty of "irrational exuberance".

Is that how Greenspan has put it back then? Boy, do I like that phrase...

Jul 12th, '08, 19:22

by Zodduska » Jul 12th, '08, 19:22

Chip wrote:
Zodduska wrote:I voted eyeball it since there wasnt really one for counting in my head. I have used timers for longer steep times (1-2min+) but lately I've been using more leaf and shorter steeps 20-40sec, so by the time I set a timer it's almost ready to pour.

No tea yet but today feels like it might be a Sencha day. :shock:
Well...of course...everyday is SenchaDay...
I'm sipping a chawan full of o-cha's Fukamushi Sencha Supreme right now, Each time I have it I find myself enjoying it more and more.. I guess Sencha might be an acquired taste.

How many infusions do Senchians usually shoot for and do you rinse first?

Jul 12th, '08, 19:24

by tenuki » Jul 12th, '08, 19:24

I do not use a timer, ever.

I think things like scales and timers actually remove you from harmony with the tea and create bad brewing. I classify people who use timers and scales in the same group as people who watch the baseball game on the big scoreboard screen at the ballpark. Ok, they are watching the game, but are they really 'there'?

Here are some interesting thoughts on
Timing Tea.
Last edited by tenuki on Jul 12th, '08, 23:25, edited 4 times in total.

Jul 12th, '08, 19:39

by Salsero » Jul 12th, '08, 19:39

RussianSoul wrote: You are OK so far. Unless you are guilty of "irrational exuberance".
Whew, another train wreck averted at the last second! I have to confess that I have been involved in my share of irrational exhuberance, but no body count so far.
Victoria wrote:Nic pic Salsero! I like how the roses mimic the flower pattern on the gaiwan.
Dr. Eel wrote:btw, nice pic today, salsero
I want to say
  • thanks
to all those who have said nice things about my photos (including, I guess, calling them sick!), not just today but every day. It really is enormously rewarding and motivating to hear it. I post these things out of sound sleep in the middle of the night then back to bed, so the activities of the next day catch me up and I forget to make my proper thank you's in a timely fashion -- and basically I have no manners anyway -- but I certainly do notice every "nice pic"or other comment and really appreciate it. I've even been PM'd on a number of occasions with suggestions for improvment, change, or cease-and-desist orders, all of which I also enjoy and appreciate.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Jul 12th, '08, 19:53

by Salsero » Jul 12th, '08, 19:53

Zodduska wrote: How many infusions do Senchians usually shoot for and do you rinse first?
While I do not consider myself Senchian, I am sentient. I normally do five infusions, unless I use too much leaf, then I get six.

I only rinse if there's a lot of shampoo in the sencha. :wink:

Jul 12th, '08, 20:04

by Zodduska » Jul 12th, '08, 20:04

Salsero wrote: While I do not consider myself Senchian, I am sentient. I normally do five infusions, unless I use too much leaf, then I get six.

I only rinse if there's a lot of shampoo in the sencha. :wink:
shampoo?.. I guess my tongue does feel extra strong and is looking a bit shinier.. an added Sencha benefit I had not considered.

Jul 12th, '08, 20:20

by Victoria » Jul 12th, '08, 20:20

Here's a pic of the
Shan-Linn-Shee (Fir Creek) Oolong from TeaHome
in my new lily teacup that was near impossible to photograph, so
I gave up after this try. You get the idea.

Jul 12th, '08, 20:21

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 12th, '08, 20:21

I just let it go. For some teas I'll check my watch to get a ballpark number, but most of the time I just pour when I think it should be ready.
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 12th, '08, 20:29

by henley » Jul 12th, '08, 20:29

Pretty fanatical about my steep times. At home, I use the timer on the stove & while here in Atlanta, I've been using the alarm clock on my cell phone as a timer. :lol:

Was in a hurry this morning & tried some of the Ginger Peach sample from RoT. It was okay but only drank half of it. After 10 hrs of shopping (which should sound like fun but instead is very tiring), ready to crash w/a cuppa Orange Oolong #40. Really could use that TeaFairy right about now!!!