Fanatical Sunday and TeaDay 7/13/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

TeaPots, are you fanatical about matching your teapot to each tea?

Definitely fanatical!!! I match each tea to a most appropriate teapot
7%
Pretty fanatical, matching teapots to most teas
17%
I guess so, I do frequently match a particular teapot to a tea
19%
No, don't think so, I try not to fuss about it
33%
Your kidding me right, NOOOOOOOOOO, let's not complicate this
24%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 42

Jul 13th, '08, 20:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 13th, '08, 20:17

Starting my second tea of the day VERY LATE here! Oy! I hope not too late caffeine-wise.

Anyway, it is from the
Oolong Box Pass
Formosa FoShou from Hou De

Jul 13th, '08, 21:58

Re: Kenya, the Millma Estate

by augie » Jul 13th, '08, 21:58

auggy wrote: Augie, that turtle looks huge! (Well, for a turtle).
We found another one last fall -- slightly bigger. With a very bad attitude. It hissed at me and spat! He was on the other side of the n'hood in a different pond. This one was very gentle, kept a close eye on me and just sat there.
auggy wrote:Kitty is doing not so great this morning. I'm thinking Monday when the vet opens up, hubby and I will have a hard decision to make.
Good luck, hope the vet can help. I thought Dogger was dying last weekend, so we went to the ER Vet. I honestly felt as numb watching her as when my kids were hospitalized. Walked through the door at the Vet and she perked right up, rubbed her slobbery mouth all over the Vet and Vet-techs. I was so embarrassed :oops: and even worse it cost me $250 bucks! Hopefully your kitty is just healing herself -- mine used to hide for 2-3 days at a time when they got sick.

Jul 13th, '08, 23:06

by henley » Jul 13th, '08, 23:06

Last day of shopping & finally back home! Can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight!!! Finished scoping out the rest of the tea vendors today. Saw lots of Asian teaware that I wouldn't have know what it was w/o y'all. I was quite proud that it spite of only owning girly teaware, I recognized the bamboo matcha wisk, the sakura cannisters & other pieces I never knew existed til this year.

The pot I use depends on how much tea I'm making. Most often I use my 2 cup pot but if the whole family is drinking, I use the 6 cup.

Sarah & Auggy-glad y'all had fun today!!! Glad you could get together.

Chamekke-I agree w/you that the bust looks like Howdy Doody! :lol:

Off to make a soothing cuppa Oolong #40 to end the day!

Jul 13th, '08, 23:18

by Victoria » Jul 13th, '08, 23:18

Having a second steep of the Hou De Fo Shou.

When I first started on this pot, I thought it was too roasted, too charcoal tasting. Midway through, I just let go and enjoyed it. I found it to be really different than what I am used to and expected it to have certain characteristics it did not. I find sometimes our preconceived ideas can lead to disappointment that in reality is not really there. It was actually quite lovely.

Jul 13th, '08, 23:29

by Chip » Jul 13th, '08, 23:29

...and then there are completely predictable teas such as my last tea of the day, Heirloom Tea Flowers...the actual flowers from the tea plant.

This is not floral at all, the dried up flowers however have a caramel aroma...this carries over to the aroma and taste of the brewed tea. Very un tea like, actually.

A great low caffeine evening tea...actually quite lovely. :wink:

Jul 13th, '08, 23:32

by Space Samurai » Jul 13th, '08, 23:32

I had some long jing, and then, because I wanted to drink some green tea, I had shincha yutaka midori.
Last edited by Space Samurai on Jul 13th, '08, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 13th, '08, 23:32

by Victoria » Jul 13th, '08, 23:32

Chip wrote:...and then there are completely predictable teas such as my last tea of the day, Heirloom Tea Flowers...the actual flowers from the tea plant.

This is not floral at all, the dried up flowers however have a caramel aroma...this carries over to the aroma and taste of the brewed tea.

A great low caffeine evening tea...actually quite lovely. :wink:
I think I'll join you in that brew right now.
It is a lovely tea for a late evening low caffeine choice.

Jul 13th, '08, 23:51

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 13th, '08, 23:51

I'm really not overly picky. I suppose if I had more tea ware where it mattered what I brewed in them, I would be more picky. I do use my kyusu for Japanese greens and my gaiwan for oolongs, but everything else is either brewed in my Pyrex measuring cup, an infuser basket in a mug, or a tea filter sack.

Today was supposed to be a better tea day than yesterday but that didn't work out too well. I brought some Dragonwell with me to the diner where we had breakfast and had a nice conversation with one of the waitresses there about loose tea. We got invited out to my uncle's house for dinner once we got home from errands and shopping so I got as far as finishing off my tin of Vanilla Rooibos to bring with me on the car trip there. I did manage to finally get the teas he brought back for me from the India. One Darjeeling was in a nifty tin, but the other was a Twinning's Darjeeling that was actually packaged in India. I am not quite sure what to think of the Twinnings, but I haven't tried either of them yet so hopefully they will taste better than expected. It was very nice of him to bring some tea back with him though so the gesture was much appreciated. Instead of tea, we enjoyed a few bottles of wine while at his house. The best were the two Canadian Ice Wines that we had with dessert. He had both a Vidal Blanc and a Riesling so we got to try a little bit of each. Both kinds that he had were phenomenal. I am finishing up my day with some honeybush.

Jul 14th, '08, 00:15

by Chip » Jul 14th, '08, 00:15

Proinsias wrote:
Chip wrote:For instance, I brew super high quality gyokuro is brewed in a tiny 2 ounce pot...kyusu design.
Pics please, and advice on where one would obtain such a delight wouldn't go amiss. I'm used to brewing in small quantities and my kyusu being maybe 400ml makes my brain hurt. It's only at times like these I can see why some people reach for timers.
Yes...pics... :oops: One of these days I will post pics.

I met a Korean Vendor...well, importer while at the World Tea Expo. Hankook...something like that. I will have to look it up. Anyway, they are in LA, CA USA.

But they had these handleless kyusu, no spout...just like a gyokuro kyusu. These were supposedly artisan, but the prices were pretty good. I had been looking for one for quite a while but most are crazy expensive. The set includes a single small cup that is also perfectly sized for premo gyokyuro.

I could not be happier with them.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 14th, '08, 02:08

by bi lew chun » Jul 14th, '08, 02:08

Space Samurai wrote:I had some long jing, and then, because I wanted to drink some green tea, I had shincha yutaka midori.
Ouch! 8)

Jul 14th, '08, 02:35

by Chip » Jul 14th, '08, 02:35

bi lew chun wrote:
Space Samurai wrote:I had some long jing, and then, because I wanted to drink some green tea, I had shincha yutaka midori.
Ouch! 8)
I just got that, Space... :lol:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 14th, '08, 03:02

by Space Samurai » Jul 14th, '08, 03:02

8)

Jul 14th, '08, 03:05

by Victoria » Jul 14th, '08, 03:05

Oh, so you're saying I might like it? Ha!

Jul 14th, '08, 11:42

by auggy » Jul 14th, '08, 11:42

kymidwife wrote:Thanks, Auggy... was great to spend time with you! Hope kitty is doing better.

Sarah
Thank you for spending the cab fair to visit with me! I had a lot of fun and it was great meeting you. Sipping on some of the tea you gave me now! :D