Wednesday TeaDay 7/16/08 Soda consumption?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I had a soda for the first time this year yesterday, and I wondered, how many sodas have you consumed this year (based on 12 ounce soda)?

Zero, Zilch, Nada
16%
Less than 5
32%
Less than 10
11%
Less than 20
5%
Less than 40
11%
Less than 70
2%
Less than 100
5%
Less than 150
4%
Less than 200
2%
MORE!!!
13%

Total votes: 56

Jul 16th, '08, 20:32

Re: Planning issues

by augie » Jul 16th, '08, 20:32

Salsero wrote: Today is day 75, BTW. You laugh, but these are the things I spend my life thinking about.
Joking, absolutely not. This forum would never be the same the week of "Salsero Blackout".
joelbct wrote:I do drink seltzer with pomegranate juice concentrate on a daily basis, however, yummy and more economical than that POM stuff.
I love the POM green tea on a HOT day after spending 40 minutes in the store. It completely quenches your thirst. Mineral water and Pom. juice looks awesome, have to try it.

Jul 16th, '08, 21:26

by kymidwife » Jul 16th, '08, 21:26

Ohhhhh she's beautiful. I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Sarah

Jul 16th, '08, 22:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 16th, '08, 22:04

Last tea of the day, Chiran sencha from Ito en...last of the tea from Joel. I have a few leaves left.

I will need to open something either tonight or tomorrow. Fortunately the TeaFridge is well stocked! :D Yutaka Midori is at the top of the list.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 16th, '08, 22:04

by kymidwife » Jul 16th, '08, 22:04

I voted less than 10, but I suspect its really less than 5.

I used to drink Coke Classic all the time. I loved it. It still tastes fine to me, but my tummy doesn't like the carbonation, and I just SO much prefer tea. In restaurants, if I can't get decent tea, I usually just have water. The one time I still want a Coke is with popcorn in the movie theater.... and I'd drink tea there too if they had anything but hideous nestea lemony/sugary CRAP. They won't let me bring in my own. So I still drink soda there, because popcorn demands something sweet... water just won't do.

On a side note, I have never found a diet soda I could tolerate... they all taste just awful to me. But my best friend has been a Diet Coke addict for ages. I've had her drinking more and more tea lately, and she actually told me yesterday that "Diet Coke doesn't taste as good to me anymore since I've been drinking so much tea." YES! The brainwashing is beginning to kick in, muhahahahaha. :twisted:

In my cup right now is the last of Auggy's Tung Ting Jade (I drank all the formosa sample already). I'm brewing some stuff from Upton's called Rose Chun Mee... smells nice, we'll see how it tastes in a minute (I fear I've overbrewed it)...I'll sample it AFTER I finish this 2nd infusion of Tung Ting Jade. Mmmmmmm. I'm a freakin oolongian and I don't care. :roll:

Sarah

Jul 16th, '08, 23:06

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 16th, '08, 23:06

Auggy, your cat is absolutely gorgeous!

I probably have one soda a week, give or take. Most likely less than that. Sometimes I get a craving for something carbonated, so I keep a small supply of diet soda on hand.

Today was an awesome tea day! I had a good conversation with my new neighbor, who gave me a bunch of loose tea samples that had been given to her in a perfume swap from her perfume forum. She's not much of a tea person beyond her Barry's Orange Pekoe. Some of the samples that she had were from SpecialTeas, so they might actually be good. The others were flavored blacks from who knows where that will be good for iced teas. I also got an offer from her to teach me how to make Italian bread from scratch so I am thrilled.

Just to make things better, I received both my orders from Hou De and New Mexico Tea Co. The NM Tea Co was out of Orange Blossom Oolong so I was not able to get a sample of that, but the owner was nice enough to give me a sample of a Kenyan single estate black tea and a honeybush blend called African Summer instead. I did manage to restock on Organic Monk's Blend and Blood Orange Rooibos so I am happy. From Hou De, I got the 90s Aged Nan Tou, 2008 Nan Tou "Dong-Ding" style, and a 2005 Shui Xian Wuyi. I opened the Aged Nan Tou and am in tea heaven at the moment.

Jul 16th, '08, 23:10

by Zodduska » Jul 16th, '08, 23:10

elchai wrote:Have you noticed the most popular votes in this poll? 0-5 or more than 200 are the most popular here. May say something of the addiction rate of sodas, eh?
Interesting observation. Aside from the addictive qualities of caffeine, according to wikipedia, Coke still contains trace amounts of.. well.. ..coke.
Wikipedia wrote:To this day, Coca-Cola uses as an ingredient a coca leaf extract prepared by a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey, using a process monitored by the Drug Enforcement Administration.[2][3] Because cocaine is naturally present in coca leaves, today's Coca-Cola uses "spent", or treated, coca leaves, those that have been through a cocaine extraction process, to flavor the beverage. Some contend that this process cannot extract all of the cocaine alkaloids at a molecular level, and so the drink still contains trace amounts of the stimulant.[4][5] The Coca-Cola Company currently refuses to comment on the continued presence of coca leaf in Coca-Cola.[6] [7]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_formula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

Jul 16th, '08, 23:56

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 16th, '08, 23:56

elchai wrote:Have you noticed the most popular votes in this poll? 0-5 or more than 200 are the most popular here. May say something of the addiction rate of sodas, eh?
I don't think it has anything to do with addiction; that is an all-too-common excuse for behavior today, IMO. The fact that many people are in a habit of drinking sodas does not mean that soda is habit-forming in the clinical sense. Hell, we're all in a habit of drinking tea, aren't we?

As to Zodduska's post, that amount of cocaine would never get someone addicted. You are probably more likely to get addicted from handling too many $20 bills, which also contain trace (very, very small amounts, it should be pointed out) amounts of cocaine. Plus, this is probably the wrong forum to connect the addictive qualities of caffeine to soda-drinking, don't you think? :D

Jul 17th, '08, 00:05

by Zodduska » Jul 17th, '08, 00:05

Scruffmcgruff your point about money explains a lot, I work like a drone every day of the week for it maybe I have a problem... :wink: :twisted:

I didn't mean to imply caffeine addiction was mutually exclusive to soda. :D
Last edited by Zodduska on Jul 17th, '08, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 17th, '08, 00:07

by Chip » Jul 17th, '08, 00:07

scruffmcgruff wrote:
As to Zodduska's post, that amount of cocaine would never get someone addicted. You are probably more likely to get addicted from handling too many $20 bills, which also contain trace (very, very small amounts, it should be pointed out) amounts of cocaine. Plus, this is probably the wrong forum to connect the addictive qualities of caffeine to soda-drinking, don't you think? :D
I personally lick all my paper money, but can quit anytime I want...but I don't want to.

Nice pictures everyone.

There was "spill over" from this topic to yesterday's, that never happened before. Crazy, when I spontaneously decided on this topic, I never expected it to have around 100 posts.

I am thinking "street drugs" for tomorrow's topic. :idea:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 17th, '08, 01:15

by Salsero » Jul 17th, '08, 01:15

Chip wrote:I am thinking "street drugs" for tomorrow's topic.
I second the nomination. Many of us already have our scales, might as well use them for something constructive.
augie wrote: This forum would never be the same the week of "Salsero Blackout".
Thanks, now tell Chip next time he tries to ban me.

-----------------------------------------------

I was looking over some notes a little while ago and by coincidence ran across this from Trioxin many months ago:
  • "Speaking of packaging, you should have seen the packaging the Thurbo and Moonlight came in. They had it wrapped five or six times in various materials then sewn shut in a cloth bag. I can't say enough about how great teaemporium.com is. For what I got, the prices are unbelievably low."
orguz wrote: I work for the postal service here in the great white north...
Be careful around here. I think there are several TeaChatters who may wish to do you harm! :wink:

Jul 17th, '08, 01:54

by chamekke » Jul 17th, '08, 01:54

Salsero wrote:
orguz wrote: I work for the postal service here in the great white north...
Be careful around here. I think there are several TeaChatters who may wish to do you harm! :wink:
Actually, I love our nation's posties :) It's UPS and (very occasionally) Canada Customs that get my goat.

But Canada Post - no complaints, unless you count how the price goes up sharply when you can't squeeze an outbound parcel through that mailbox-shaped thingy :wink:

Jul 17th, '08, 10:04

by henley » Jul 17th, '08, 10:04

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Today was an awesome tea day! I had a good conversation with my new neighbor, who gave me a bunch of loose tea samples that had been given to her in a perfume swap from her perfume forum.
Would be interesting to see if she & Victoria 'know' each other.
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: I did manage to restock on Organic Monk's Blend and Blood Orange Rooibos so I am happy.
Glad you got the OMB problems worked out! IMO, that's one tea that can't steep a second longer than 3 min. It's good stuff! :D

Jul 17th, '08, 10:14

by auggy » Jul 17th, '08, 10:14

kymidwife wrote:Image

Ohhhhh she's beautiful. I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Sarah
Me, too! Though she didn't have anything more than gravy this morning. :( But her tummy is poking out and she ate lots yesterday so I'm thinking it'll be okay as long as she eats today. Otherwise, the vet said we can make another trip to get more fluids and another steroid shot to stimulate her appetite.

So I take it you are liking those two oolongs? I'm glad. They are two of my favs. Have you tried the magnolia black yet?
Pentox wrote:Anything you're particularly thinking of trying?
Well, I have it narrowed down to about 22 teas from 3 different vendors. :oops: There's a glass teapot from Hou De I'm gonna get, so I figured I'd try some of their oolongs, too. Any suggestions on that?
Chip wrote:I personally lick all my paper money, but can quit anytime I want...but I don't want to.
Chip, you make me giggle.

Jul 17th, '08, 10:31

by kymidwife » Jul 17th, '08, 10:31

auggy wrote:So I take it you are liking those two oolongs? I'm glad. They are two of my favs. Have you tried the magnolia black yet?
Ummmmmmm yeah I loved both the oolongs... the Formosa Pouchong was gone before I got home from Dallas, and the last of the Tung Ting Jade leaves went into the pot last night... I'm sipping 3rd or 4th infusion of those leaves this morning. I really love this one.

I tried the Magnolia yesterday, and enjoyed it very much too. It reminded me strangely of the Sweet Cranberry Black from Teavana. Speaking of Teavana, I also tried the Darjeeling Puttabong we bought. I was sort of stunned at how light the color was... and a very mellow taste, very different than the other darker darjeelings I've tried. How did you like it?

Sending love to the kitty,

Sarah

Jul 17th, '08, 10:57

by auggy » Jul 17th, '08, 10:57

kymidwife wrote:Speaking of Teavana, I also tried the Darjeeling Puttabong we bought. I was sort of stunned at how light the color was... and a very mellow taste, very different than the other darker darjeelings I've tried. How did you like it?
Sarah
Ultimately, I liked it, though it took me a little to get used to. It was very smooth, I thought. Reminded me of an oolong. I got a second steep out of it, too, and I liked that one even better than the first. I've only had it once since I've been trying a lot of the other samples I have, but I think I'll end up really enjoying it.

And yeah, I don't think the magnolia black is really "magnolia", but I've never been able to place the taste other than "sweet". Of course, I haven't tried very hard either. :)