Wednesday TeaDay 7/16/08 Soda consumption?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I had a soda for the first time this year yesterday, and I wondered, how many sodas have you consumed this year (based on 12 ounce soda)?

Zero, Zilch, Nada
16%
Less than 5
32%
Less than 10
11%
Less than 20
5%
Less than 40
11%
Less than 70
2%
Less than 100
5%
Less than 150
4%
Less than 200
2%
MORE!!!
13%

Total votes: 56

Jul 16th, '08, 01:40
Scrolling: scrolling

Wednesday TeaDay 7/16/08 Soda consumption?

by Chip » Jul 16th, '08, 01:40

It is official, by a vote of 42-9, the people have spoken and call for a new "Show Off" topic under teaware. This will occur after the topic hits 100 pages and 1500 posts. We will read through your suggestions. Some will require technical expertise from Adagio.

In the other poll, more than 3 out of every 4 voters declared they were fanatical about where they get their tea. You can still vote and discuss this topic.

Fanatical TeaDays are taking a break for now, but I suspect they will return one day. Welcome everyone to TeaDay. Let's brew and share what is in our cups today, all day.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic are a departure from our fanatical topics of late. I had a pretty intense bike ride yesterday...it was hot and humid. I got home and for some reason, nothing but a soda would do. I realized this was my FIRST soda of 2008...and it was GOOD for a change. So, I thought of a frivolous topic for a change, though it is not too frivolous really, kind of relevant. In 2008, how much soda have you consumed? Is it more or less than a year ago? Do you like it more or less than last year?

OK, see you all on TeaDay! Bottoms up, refill, repeat often.
Last edited by Chip on Oct 17th, '08, 08:29, edited 2 times in total.

Jul 16th, '08, 01:54

by bi lew chun » Jul 16th, '08, 01:54

I like to consume something carbonated with a meal. It's a truly filthy habit, and I try to drink Steaz wherever possible, but, ya know, I'm weak. I could never drink soda on its own. Unless it's cutting through food greasiness it tastes pretty disgusting, and serves no real purpose to me. I've found that low end dragon well (the really really nutty kind) goes great with food. I should probably try to switch over completely.

Jul 16th, '08, 02:00

Darjeeling

by Salsero » Jul 16th, '08, 02:00

I’m beginning to believe that a country’s packaging speaks volumes about the national identity. For example, those of you who have received packages from Japan or even read the Japanese sections of this forum know that country has taken packaging to the level of an art form. Packages from China and Malaysia also have their own special characters.

Yesterday I received a package from Darjeeling and found it interesting and entertaining enough that I thought I would share it with you. All the photos below are linked to larger files if you want to examine them in more detail. BTW, thanks to Trioxin for introducing me to this Indian supplier.

As you can see, it left India wrapped in a piece of cloth that was sewn into a custom-fitted container for the tea. Once in New York, a shipping company named First Flight USA (the US branch of an Indian courier service) took over and placed my bag of tea into a DHL envelope and forwarded it on to me, USA style.

The address and return address on the cloth bag are both written in bold black, right on the cloth. Here’s a closer look at the stitching which covers three sides.

The letters are dark, clear and do not bleed into the surrounding area so I don’t think they were written by a magic marker. Makes me wonder what tool was used and what kind of ink … India ink?

Once I got the cloth bag opened (with a pair of scissors) I found …

ANOTHER BAG! This one an actual sack made of heavy brown paper and tied with string. String seems to be popular in Japan as well. Must be countries less under the influence of 3M. Untying and opening that bag, I find four packets, each in a heavy wax paper bag of its own, the wax paper bags are sealed with staples.

OK, this is starting to remind me of those Russian matryoshka or nested dolls. I am seriously hoping they weighed my tea before the packaging was added to it! When I take apart the packets inside the waxed paper, I find what appears to be a foil-lined paper bag, again tied with string, but otherwise pretty standard issue for tea. I open that and find that the foil bag is not a bag but rather a flat sheet and the label is a separate heavy piece of some type of specialty paper material. What’s inside the foil wrapping?

Yep, you guessed it another bag … this one some sort of wax impregnated paper … and tied with, yes, you guessed it again, more string! Finally, inside the last bag there really is tea. Yippie! Heat the water.

For those of you I promised Darjeeling, I will mail it today or tomorrow. Actually, I better get it out soon because tomorrow I am leaving town for a week!

Oh, and the only one I have tasted so far, the 2nd Flush Muscatel Castleton, smells exactly like fresh baked cherry pie. Go figure!

Jul 16th, '08, 02:44

Re: Darjeeling

by bi lew chun » Jul 16th, '08, 02:44

Salsero wrote:Oh, and the only one I have tasted so far, the 2nd Flush Muscatel Castleton, smells exactly like fresh baked cherry pie. Go figure!
Yum! That was quite an interesting read. You never know what you're going to find at TeaDay.

Jul 16th, '08, 02:46

Re: Darjeeling

by Victoria » Jul 16th, '08, 02:46

Salsero wrote: Oh, and the only one I have tasted so far, the 2nd Flush Muscatel Castleton, smells exactly like fresh baked cherry pie. Go figure!
Yum! Thanks for the step by step unveiling of your new teas!

Jul 16th, '08, 03:04

by omegapd » Jul 16th, '08, 03:04

I picked less than 20. Probably closer to 12 or so all year. I've never been much of a soda drinker, though...at least not in the last 10 years.

Tom, India is funny like that. I've gotten some tobacco packages wrapped the same way.

Gonna brew some Wagh Bakri CTC Assam for my wake up call this morning at work.

Enjoy the day, everyone!

EW

Jul 16th, '08, 03:26

by olivierco » Jul 16th, '08, 03:26

I seldom drink soda. Sometimes when there isn't any decent fruit juice (or champagne) available.

This morning Silver needles with my breakfast.

Jul 16th, '08, 03:51

by Terrasi » Jul 16th, '08, 03:51

I probably have a soda once every couple weeks or so. One of the reasons I started drinking tea was to get away from soda so I don't feel bad having soda every once and a while. I used to drink one a day at least.

The difference in my tea to soda consumption is probably 50 cups of tea to every soda.

Jul 16th, '08, 06:06

by rodstnmn » Jul 16th, '08, 06:06

I voted none. I'm not against having a soda, I just find them unbearably sweet.
Long Jing in my cup this morning.

Jul 16th, '08, 06:28

by Trey Winston » Jul 16th, '08, 06:28

I used to drink far too much cola, and switched to tea to kick the habit. Now I'm a militant anti-sodaist, and I haven't had any soda for years. I usually drink sparkling spring water with dinner, and then tea.

Jul 16th, '08, 07:14

by criteaque » Jul 16th, '08, 07:14

Very interesting topic. Less than ten as far as I can remember. Of course, that is not counting the red bulls :oops:

Since taking up tea, sodas seem so SWEET and artificial.

Best refreshment for me is cold, but not freezing, naturally sparkling water :roll:

Jasmine Pearls today.

Jul 16th, '08, 07:35

by olivierco » Jul 16th, '08, 07:35

Yunnan golden tips right now.

Jul 16th, '08, 09:03

by hop_goblin » Jul 16th, '08, 09:03

I am a soda drinking foo!

Jul 16th, '08, 09:18

by Riene » Jul 16th, '08, 09:18

Less than five, for me. I will have the rare Mountain Dew when I desperately need a caffeine kick-in-the-tail to get something done, and try the ocasional sip of husband's soda if I'm thirsty, but other than that, I gave up soda years ago. I just don't like the bite of the carbonation or the acid anymore.

Irish Breakfast black in the mug, of course.
Last edited by Riene on Jul 16th, '08, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 16th, '08, 09:19

by Zodduska » Jul 16th, '08, 09:19

Before getting into tea recently Coca-Cola was exclusively my liquid refreshment of choice, every day all day, up to 8 a day sometimes more, I still drink it during tea downtime and I doubt my love affair with Coke will ever completely end but I have cut way way back. :twisted:

this morning im drinking budas hand oolong