Thursday TeaDay 7/24/08 COLD brewing iced tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Simple question today...have you given COLD brewing iced tea a try?

Yes
41%
Yes, and I prefer it to hot brewed iced tea
12%
No, but want to give it a try
29%
No
18%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 49

Jul 24th, '08, 13:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jul 24th, '08, 13:36

Victoria wrote: And it looks like your dragon just had a sip too!
I think he likes it, he's grinning!

Jul 24th, '08, 13:46

by Chip » Jul 24th, '08, 13:46

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Victoria wrote: And it looks like your dragon just had a sip too!
I think he likes it, he's grinning!
And drooling...

5th steep of Yutaka Midori. I have noticed the first few steep as full and thick...the later steeps seem to have a light toastiness with sweetness.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 24th, '08, 13:50

by RussianSoul » Jul 24th, '08, 13:50

Happy Birthday Auggy!

My first cup today was Formosa Fo Shou from Hou De via Oolong box. I can tell that this is a very nice tea. It's just I don't have a taste for dark oolong.

To answer the poll - yes! And to prove it I just finished a 16oz bottle of cold-brewed Hatsumi that I made to take to the gym. That Hatsumi is crazy good cold-brewed.

Jul 24th, '08, 14:01

by Chip » Jul 24th, '08, 14:01

RussianSoul wrote: To answer the poll - yes! And to prove it I just finished a 16oz bottle of cold-brewed Hatsumi that I made to take to the gym. That Hatsumi is crazy good cold-brewed.
Where have I heard this before? I only wish I had tried Hatsumi cold brewed before trying it with the last of my bag. It is crazy good!!!

Jul 24th, '08, 14:01

by henley » Jul 24th, '08, 14:01

auggy wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:First time just last week, actually! Added ice to my kyusu with some first flush sencha. Mmmm, so smooth and sweet. The only problem was the waiting. :(
I'm with CynTEAa - the waiting bit isn't fun. I'm not patient enough to wait for cold brewing and don't plan ahead enough to have it on hand when I want it.
I'm w/both of y'all. Not sure about the waiting game. :? That's the only reason I haven't tried it yet.

Had Tea Cuppa's Beidou Yi Hou Wuyi from the oolong box w/bfast this morning. Quite honestly, I wasn't exactly sure what I was drinking. :oops: The only part of the name I recognized was 'wuyi' but it was a nice tea. Had more oolong w/lunch since we went out for Chinese today (& thanx to Geekgirl, I knew not to bother asking what kind of oolong they were serving! :lol: ).

Geekgirl, your dragon needs a napkin quick!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUGGY! Image

Jul 24th, '08, 14:43

by auggy » Jul 24th, '08, 14:43

Yay! Thanks all! :mrgreen: Hubby surprised me and took me out to lunch at a nearby Vietnamese fushion joint. They also had a "tea bar" - bubble tea, that is. So I had some coconut milk tea. It was really good and probably had about 1/2 oz of real tea but who cares - yum! :) And with coconut milk, I'm sure it was as healthy as real tea, too. Right? :lol:

No big plans today. I've never been a big birthday girl. And getting my windows tinted was my official bday gift for this year. But SIL did give me an Amazon gift card, so I'm eying some Bodum cups.....

Jul 24th, '08, 14:54

by Geekgirl » Jul 24th, '08, 14:54

auggy wrote:But SIL did give me an Amazon gift card, so I'm eying some Bodum cups.....
I love Amazon. Just ordered this:

(why yes, she IS a great big nerd!)

Switched from pu to Ice Oolong this morning. Even though the pu was awesome, it's kind of a lighter tea day today here. Sun came back out, and the little hummingbird has been hanging out on the feeder outside my den window this morning.

Life is good. (a trite and overused saying, but true nonetheless.)

Jul 24th, '08, 15:18

by Pentox » Jul 24th, '08, 15:18

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image
I love how the sediment filled in the swirl so nicely. Beautiful picture ya big nerd.

Jul 24th, '08, 15:30

by auggy » Jul 24th, '08, 15:30

Pentox wrote:
auggy wrote: Nope, the big three oh. But that doesn't mean I have to stop acting like I'm 20. Or 12. Whatever. :D
Ah that number approaches me way too fast. <sigh>
:P No sympathy here. The entirety of my late 20s sneaked up on me. One day I was 22, then I turn around and holy monkeys! my 20s are almost gone (well, now actually gone). It makes me wonder what exactly happened to me from 23 - 27....

Wait, isn't a poor memory a sign of senility? Darn it!

Jul 24th, '08, 15:53

by olivierco » Jul 24th, '08, 15:53

Happy Birthday Auggy!
I will have some Kanro gyokuro to celebrate in a few minutes.

Jul 24th, '08, 16:20

by Beidao » Jul 24th, '08, 16:20

Let's see - I've had russian, and pu, then ALOT of dan cong, and then TGY. Quite a good tea day I'd say!

I'm planning my first web order of tea. Now I've narrowed it down almost enough. Only have to decide between samples of 3 puehr/or 70 g of Guricha (Tamaryokucha).

Grattis på födelsedagen Auggy!
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Jul 24th, '08, 17:07

by Chip » Jul 24th, '08, 17:07

I am having an incredible session of Alishan Traditional a la FLT compliments of Victoria. This is amazing green oolong to be enjoyed on a special occasion...or in special company.

I saw a great mouth watering blog review on this by our own Bi Lew Chun from my home state of Pennsylvania.

Jul 24th, '08, 17:07

by Victoria » Jul 24th, '08, 17:07

This afternoon brewing up one of my all time favorites
AliShan Traditional - This stuff is so awesome,
sometimes I forget. I have a lot of premium
oolongs right now, but this one still is just special.

Here is the link to Bi Lew Chun's review:

http://multipleinfusions.com/2008/07/al ... aditional/

Jul 24th, '08, 19:02

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jul 24th, '08, 19:02

I tried cold brewing once simply because I woke up not feeling well in the morning and went back to sleep while the ice melted in my kyusu. It was tasty, though like many others, I don't really have the patience for waiting for the ice to melt. I prefer making hot tea and sticking in the fridge over ice for my iced tea.

Today, I had Oolong #8 and am now enjoying some Den's Hashiri Shincha which will go nicely with the Zucchini Quiche that I made for dinner. After dinner, I get to bake some zucchini muffins. Yay for having lots of fresh zucchini in the fridge!

Jul 24th, '08, 19:26

by Ti » Jul 24th, '08, 19:26

Cold brewed sounds like a great idea. What is cold brewed exactly? I read thru the thread and from what I can figure cold brewed is:

obviously not hot tea chilled...

tea brewed on the table in ice water for many hours...

tea brewed in ice water in the fridge for many hours...

:?