Friday TeaDay 8/01/08 Choice of an Indian region's tea?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

You are given a choice of an Indian region/Himalayan region tea, what do you choose?

Assam
36%
Ceylon
11%
Darjeeling
38%
Dooars
No votes
Nepal
No votes
Nilgiri
7%
Sikkim
No votes
Other
No votes
None
9%

Total votes: 45

Aug 1st, '08, 11:55

by henley » Aug 1st, '08, 11:55

Katrina wrote:I just read Auggy's message about being ready to quit. I think the hardest thing about my job as a SAHM is that I CAN'T quit. Today is a day that I think I would have at least requested a personal day if I could have. :roll:
And there's no sick days, no vacation days... The pay stinks but at least the benefits are great! The army slogan could apply to being a SAHM -- It's the toughest job you'll ever love. Hang in there, Katrina! I had a day like that last week. Hopefully naptime will go well for you & you can quietly sit down w/a nice cuppa. :wink:

Of the teas listed, Assam is the only one I've tried so I guess that's my answer. I think there are more teas out there than a person could ever try in a lifetime!

Orange Blossom Oolong w/bfast this morning. I truly hope this is not my only tea today. We'll see...

Aug 1st, '08, 12:01

by olivierco » Aug 1st, '08, 12:01

Kanro Gyokuro in my new teacup (thanks to Salsero)

Aug 1st, '08, 12:17

by augie » Aug 1st, '08, 12:17

auggy wrote: I'm almost hoping the anticipated result happens today because I want to quit so badly. Ugh.
I think this is the problem with not having to work. Makes it hard to keep doing it when I don't want to. :evil:
Auggy, I was in your shoes this past month. (Katrina/Henley I was in your shoes 10 years ago! :lol: ) I was driving 35 minutes to work in an extremely toxic envrionment. I was actually in the process of adding up all the extra expenses last week and preparing to give notice, when they let me go last Friday. (yay!) I was having ""work nightmares" that I was sitting at my desk in the dark and couldn't see anyone! A positive attitude only goes so far when you're surrounded by people with hateful attitudes. Hope you find the right answer for you and your family.

I picked none for the poll, just do not have a preference.

Aug 1st, '08, 12:26

by auggy » Aug 1st, '08, 12:26

augie wrote:Auggy, I was in your shoes this past month. (Katrina/Henley I was in your shoes 10 years ago! :lol: ) I was driving 35 minutes to work in an extremely toxic envrionment. I was actually in the process of adding up all the extra expenses last week and preparing to give notice, when they let me go last Friday. (yay!) I was having ""work nightmares" that I was sitting at my desk in the dark and couldn't see anyone! A positive attitude only goes so far when you're surrounded by people with hateful attitudes. Hope you find the right answer for you and your family.
Wow! Those dreams sound awful! I haven't had bad dreams, but the other things I do understand. I drive 40 minutes to work and get here and end up dealing with this. I was hired because I have a background in facility management. In fact, the last job, I managed the day-to-day issues of 3,000 individuals in over 600k sq ft. Here, in a 800 member church, I have the final say in ZERO that goes on - even stuff like building scheduling and maintenance (which was why I was hired!) down to the order the Sunday bulletin inserts go in! The boss is a total micro-manager. If he wants to do my job so badly, I'll just leave and let him. Hubby and I have already left the church (not that the pastor has noticed) and found a new one - because as awful as this environment is, it's even worse when people bring it to Sundays!

Anyway - Auggie, let me say congratulations on getting let go! :lol: I've been at two business closings and being let go was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can only hope they'll fire me here!

Aug 1st, '08, 12:30

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 12:30

Drinking Huang Jin Gui. Someone has an opionon about it?

This is one of the teas I ordered. The other ones were Jasmine Tai Mu Long Zhu, Dung Ding, Si Ju Chun, Tie Guan Yin King and Gui Hua.

Answer to the poll - Nilgiri. Of the other ones I've only tried Darjeeling and am not very fond of it.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 1st, '08, 13:00
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 1st, '08, 13:00

Beidao wrote:Drinking Huang Jin Gui. Someone has an opionon about it?
Had it and enjoyed it. Nice aroma and decent flavor.

In today's poll, I enjoy most of them. Assam, I have never been able to really enjoy though.

Darjeeling is king, followed by Sikkim and Nepal, then Nilgiri and Ceylon.

I am not really too into Indian teas at the moment. It is not that I don't like them. I just am not reaching for them.

I had Adagio Darjeeling this AM.

And now my fave Yutaka Midori a la O-Cha. I need to open another Japanese tea...getting into a bit of a rut with limited Japanese green options. I only have 2 sencha open...need a 3rd option clearly.
Last edited by Chip on Aug 1st, '08, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 1st, '08, 13:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Aug 1st, '08, 13:01

Beidao wrote: Drinking Huang Jin Gui. Someone has an opionon about it?
I don't have much experience with it, but I think it is from Anxi, like TGY and Se Zhong, and the name means Golden Osmanthus, though I think it doesn't normally have Osmanthus flavoring added. There are some Osmanthus flavored teas, but this is not one of them. I recall a creamy taste/feel. The one that I had seemed to be forgiving about oversteeping and went for many infusions ... all light and floral. You might like this one since you enjoyed the Dan Cong so much, another floral tea.

I am at a loss as to why this Huang Jin Gui is translated Golden Osmanthus yet Shui Jin Gui (a Wuyi tea) is translated Golden Sea Turtle.

Aug 1st, '08, 14:46

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 14:46

Well, gui means turtle - gui hua means osmanthus. That's everything I can add to the confusion. Sign for gui seems to be this one: 金

I like the Huang Jin Gui but I don't like it as much as Dan Cong Mi Lan. I find HJG to be sort of a "typical oolong" but not outstanding, somethimes a little bit flat. However I've gotten a few very nice cups from it and have 65 grams left so I can play around lots with brewing parameters. Maybe I just doesn't treat it right.

Thanks Sal and Chip for feedback!

Ps. No, no flavouring. But the "Gui Hua" I bought is indeed flavoured with osmanthus. Right now I'm having Jasmine Pearls.

Aug 1st, '08, 15:12

by auggy » Aug 1st, '08, 15:12

I thought 金 meant golden. At least in Japanese it means gold and the Japanese stole it from the Chinese. :) Of course, in Japanese it is pronounced "kin" so that doesn't really help.

edited to make sense :roll:

Aug 1st, '08, 15:29

by auggy » Aug 1st, '08, 15:29

Okay, cause I'm trying to avoid work since I'm beat....

Shui Jin Gui seems to be "water gold turtle"
Huang Jin Gui seems to be "golden (the first two characters) osmanthus"

Clear as mud, right? :lol:

Aug 1st, '08, 15:30

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 15:30

Oops :oops: that is the sign for jin, golden - of course...

I will not try to sound wise any more tonight

Aug 1st, '08, 15:32

by auggy » Aug 1st, '08, 15:32

I'd like to figure out what the kanji corresponding to huang means. Well, that and avoid work. And get in a room that is less than 80 degrees.

Aug 1st, '08, 15:52

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 15:52

Isn't huang yellow?

Aug 1st, '08, 15:55

by Beidao » Aug 1st, '08, 15:55

Well the kanjis for gui is completely different in gui hua, huang jin gui and shui jin gui. We'll have to wait for our Chinese friends to come and rescue us.

Meself, I'm going to bed. Night!

Aug 1st, '08, 16:17

by Katrina » Aug 1st, '08, 16:17

A Friday just isn't a Friday until you have to induce vomiting in your dog.

Feels more like a Monday.

(She's fine BTW. She decided to finish off my daughter's box of raisins. Ugh. We'll be keeping a close eye on her this weekend...)

I don't know if tea is going to be strong enough. :wink:
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com