Wednesday teaDay 8/06/08 Black Tea, do you drink it?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Black Tea, do you drink it, and is there a particular time of the day you set aside for Black Tea?

Yes, all day
8%
Yes, especially in the morning
53%
Yes, especially in the afternoon or evening
4%
Yes, no particular special time though
12%
I will drink it on occasion
20%
No I do not
4%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 51

Aug 6th, '08, 18:32

by Ed » Aug 6th, '08, 18:32

Oxidized tea is for suckas. 8)

Aug 6th, '08, 18:36

Re: Black Tea

by omegapd » Aug 6th, '08, 18:36

jim109 wrote:I have either Yunnan Gold or Keemun every morning. Awaiting delivery on Black Spiral to try something new. Found the description interesting. Apparently it is from the same plant as Bi Luo Chun green tea which a farmer deciced to process his summer flush as a black tea. Anyone tried this? jim
Yes, and it made my vote for "new favorite tea" in one of the recent polls. It's wonderful stuff. The House Black from FLT is just as good, too.

Enjoy!!!

EW

Aug 6th, '08, 18:38

by bronzebed » Aug 6th, '08, 18:38

this morning: china gunpowder

i do drink black tea, but only occasionally. its mostly reserved for those mornings that i feel extra zombie-a-fied and need the caffeine. i do love me some yunnan royal gold though. mmmmm

Aug 6th, '08, 19:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Aug 6th, '08, 19:38

I tend to go with fresh greenish teas earlier and darker teas later. Fresh and green makes me feel fresh for the new day, dark and processed readies me for the closing of the day. Caffeine doesn't affect my ability to sleep too much.

Some qimen talk around here put me on a qimen bender yesterday but today has been young sheng only. A colleague brought me some black tea from the vending machine in work today, a nice gesture as they are aware of my tea issues, it was a sobering experience. I may have it again on occasion just to remind me of how superior I am to vending machines.

Aug 6th, '08, 22:17

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 6th, '08, 22:17

henley wrote:Either black tea or a dark oolong starts my day. As much as I like pouchong & some other lighter teas, they just don't seem right w/bfast. Teas that follow for the rest of the day depend on my mood at that particular time.

Golden Monkey w/bfast this morning & for hubby, made a 4th steep of the Aged Nan Tou that was started last night. He reeeally liked this tea. Just got to figure out how to get more of it or something similar. :?:
I agree. A simple black tea or a dark oolong makes a wonderful start to my day. Whatever other teas I have during the day are all based on what sounds good at the time when I want tea.

Hou De had an Aged Nan Tou, but I bought the last package that was listed on the website a few weeks ago. It might be a good idea to e-mail the owner to see if he is going to get more in at some point. I am not sure what other vendors carry it.

Today was an oolong day. I started with Oolong #8 and am now enjoying some Shui Xian Wuyi.

Aug 6th, '08, 22:55

by henley » Aug 6th, '08, 22:55

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Hou De had an Aged Nan Tou, but I bought the last package that was listed on the website a few weeks ago. It might be a good idea to e-mail the owner to see if he is going to get more in at some point. I am not sure what other vendors carry it.
I've already spoken w/them via email today. May be getting some other aged oolong samples. If you don't like the Aged Nan Tou, please LMK & I'll buy it from you. Out of all my teas that hubby has tried, this has been his favorite. Of course he would like one of the more expensive teas out there. :roll: :lol:

Following last night's trial of an aged oolong, decided to repeat w/the '98 Aged Formosa Bai Hao from Hou De. I didn't care for this one & gave mine to hubby who liked it. He said the Nan Tou was better but he still enjoyed this one.

Since I didn't like the Bai Hao, decided to try again w/the Feng Haung Dan Cong by Tea Spring. This light oolong is quite nice. I used my typical lower water temp & got great results.
Cinnamon Kitty wrote:... and am now enjoying some Shui Xian Wuyi.
It's almost eerie how similar our tastes are. A few minutes ago I had a Shui Xian in my hand but decided on the Dan Cong instead. :lol:

Aug 6th, '08, 23:29

by Cinnamon Kitty » Aug 6th, '08, 23:29

henley wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Hou De had an Aged Nan Tou, but I bought the last package that was listed on the website a few weeks ago. It might be a good idea to e-mail the owner to see if he is going to get more in at some point. I am not sure what other vendors carry it.
I've already spoken w/them via email today. May be getting some other aged oolong samples. If you don't like the Aged Nan Tou, please LMK & I'll buy it from you. Out of all my teas that hubby has tried, this has been his favorite. Of course he would like one of the more expensive teas out there. :roll: :lol:
Unfortunately for you and yours, the Aged Nan Tou happens to be one of those teas that I am absolutely in love with. It actually wasn't bad price wise. I think it was $16 or $17 for 2oz and it can be steeped so many times that it ends up not costing much at all. The one I got was the 90s Aged Select Nan Tou or something of similar name with 90s in front of it. Whatever it is, it is delicious.

Aug 6th, '08, 23:50

by henley » Aug 6th, '08, 23:50

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Unfortunately for you and yours, the Aged Nan Tou happens to be one of those teas that I am absolutely in love with. It actually wasn't bad price wise. I think it was $16 or $17 for 2oz and it can be steeped so many times that it ends up not costing much at all. The one I got was the 90s Aged Select Nan Tou or something of similar name with 90s in front of it. Whatever it is, it is delicious.
That's the one I'm looking for! And you're right about the price not being bad. I'm pleasantly surprised. The samples I was offered today are $12.50 for 1 oz. Will email them again & see if they'll be getting anymore Nan Tou.

And you're right about resteeping. I did 4 infusions which produced 8 cups of tea. Not bad for 2 tsp worth of leaves!

Aug 7th, '08, 00:33

by Victoria » Aug 7th, '08, 00:33

You know, I fell in love with that one from a sample but when I got it, it just somehow seemed too "rich" for me, for lack of a better term. Maybe just too dark. So there it is in the pass box, causing a stir.

I'm glad to hear it is loved.
:)

Aug 7th, '08, 09:28

by CynTEAa » Aug 7th, '08, 09:28

Ed wrote:Oxidized tea is for suckas. 8)
Haha! You're just 'green' with envy. :wink:

Aug 7th, '08, 09:33

by geeber1 » Aug 7th, '08, 09:33

Black tea all day, every day ... long live the Dark Side!

Aug 7th, '08, 11:20

by henley » Aug 7th, '08, 11:20

Victoria wrote:You know, I fell in love with that one from a sample but when I got it, it just somehow seemed too "rich" for me, for lack of a better term.
What happens from sample size to full order? I've had that happen before & it's very frustrating! Grrrr :evil: Thanx for sharing it w/the rest of us, though. Now to find more or something similar. Was PMed a few suggestions (thanx! :D )so I'll see what I can find for him.