Thursday TeaDay 8/21/08 TeaWare shopping currently?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

The question needs to be asked, are you actively TeaWare shopping?

Always and forever
21%
Yes, currently
16%
Thinking about starting an order(s)
5%
Not really, but not eliminating the possibility
33%
No, definitely not
23%
Other
2%

Total votes: 57

Aug 21st, '08, 14:08

by joelbct » Aug 21st, '08, 14:08

Salsero wrote:This is a product of STEAP Tea, a Wayne Tea Salon product on which I fear my eldest daughter spent too much money in a rare paroxysm of filial affect.
haha ;)

I will post a pic of the specialteas emperor's red leaf. My guess is it may be a popular name for Red Tea in China.... but who knows?

Aug 21st, '08, 14:21

by doyoulovedee » Aug 21st, '08, 14:21

i was looking at old posts and i came across a pic geekgirlunveiled had of a coffee press used for tea. i fell in love, and we have it at work. now i just have to wait for my employee discount.

Aug 21st, '08, 14:50

by Pentox » Aug 21st, '08, 14:50

doyoulovedee wrote:i was looking at old posts and i came across a pic geekgirlunveiled had of a coffee press used for tea. i fell in love, and we have it at work. now i just have to wait for my employee discount.
If you like that style of brewing, Hario Glass and another company have both released very similar products, but are more akin to french presses with an immovable plunger fixed at the top. I have one now and it is working quite well. That way you're not always having a huge plunger rod sticking out of your french press.

Aug 21st, '08, 15:16

by jogrebe » Aug 21st, '08, 15:16

Not really, but not eliminating the possibility. When it comes to teaware I am very fussy as it has to be both something that I really like at a price that I am willing to pay. I look at teaware at times but it is very rare for me to find something that is worthy to add to my collection. At the moment I have more teaware than I need and use but much of it I've outgrown and don't use anymore so from now on my goal is to only pickup teaware that I would see myself using longterm as I'm past the point of needing cheaper pieces to get me by for the moment.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Aug 21st, '08, 15:25

by shogun89 » Aug 21st, '08, 15:25

I am glad to hear you guys like the tea ware! I think that stuff with contrast with the bamboo tray excellently.

Aug 21st, '08, 16:17

by Beidao » Aug 21st, '08, 16:17

Currently drinking a fourth steep of Dung Ding. From an Oolong sample collection. It is wonderful, I'd almost forgot tea could taste this good. Earlier today I've had 7 steeps of Yunnan Gold and some cups Jasmine Pearls.

I bought 4 teacups last weeks but one got missing on the way home. One of the remaining was a yunomi style Swedish handle-less clay cup with white glaze and riffles for a better grip. I like it VEEERY much.

There's several tea-shops in Stockholm I can't afford to go to since I couldn't leave without tea and -ware. I so need more gaiwans. I saw one last week in a mediocre shop. They didn't know what it was called, how you used it or the prize. They actually called the owner and of course the thing turned out to be over-prized... I also refused the urge to buy Chinese painted infuser mugs that were rather nice. So much tea ware, so small cupboards...
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Aug 21st, '08, 16:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Aug 21st, '08, 16:18

Pentox wrote:
doyoulovedee wrote:i was looking at old posts and i came across a pic geekgirlunveiled had of a coffee press used for tea. i fell in love, and we have it at work. now i just have to wait for my employee discount.
If you like that style of brewing, Hario Glass and another company have both released very similar products, but are more akin to french presses with an immovable plunger fixed at the top. I have one now and it is working quite well. That way you're not always having a huge plunger rod sticking out of your french press.
I actually disassembled the rod mechanism, and took all that out of mine. Now the top just rests on the pot. If I can figure a way to reattach the knob I'll be set, but I don't mind it this way.

Aug 21st, '08, 17:27

by Space Samurai » Aug 21st, '08, 17:27

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Image
Greekgirl, out of all the considerable talent that graces our forum, you are my favorite Tea Photographer. I've browsed your Flickr page, and I kind of hate you now. I love everything about your photos. This one is a good example. How you have the tea cup in perfect focus, but the pot, only an inch to tthe side, soft and out of focus.

Drinking some fukamushicha (using my freakishly superior sasame 8)) with my lunch, some yogurt with fresh strawberries and honey with half a heirloom cantaloupe. IMO, good food doesn't have to be compex, you just need a good produce department at your disposal.

Aug 21st, '08, 18:30

by Pentox » Aug 21st, '08, 18:30

Victoria wrote: I actually disassembled the rod mechanism, and took all that out of mine. Now the top just rests on the pot. If I can figure a way to reattach the knob I'll be set, but I don't mind it this way.
I like having a fixed height strainer on it though. At one point I was contemplating finding a similarly threaded rod, just shorter.

Aug 21st, '08, 18:37

by Victoria » Aug 21st, '08, 18:37

Yeah, I've thought that also. For now though I use a Finum
stainless-steel drop in filter basket.

Aug 21st, '08, 18:57

by Geekgirl » Aug 21st, '08, 18:57

Space Samurai wrote:
Greekgirl, out of all the considerable talent that graces our forum, you are my favorite Tea Photographer. I've browsed your Flickr page, and I kind of hate you now. I love everything about your photos. This one is a good example. How you have the tea cup in perfect focus, but the pot, only an inch to tthe side, soft and out of focus.
Thank you Space, that means a lot to me. The first tea photography I ever saw was actually on your blog, which led me to teachat. I've never been a huge fan of the "food still-life," but when I saw your photos, I was inspired, particularly by your tendencies toward softer focus, shallow DOF and tight cropping. So, thanks!

Aug 21st, '08, 19:00

by Geekgirl » Aug 21st, '08, 19:00

Dee, I use a coffee press all the time for tea, especially when brewing a larger cup for my hubby in the morning. (Also it's easy for him to brew his own.) I especially like it for broken leaf teas, darjeelings, and black teas like chai, since they steep longer and the strainer is so easy.

There's a gorgeous TEA "press" in one of my bookmarks somewhere. I must have spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where they hid the plunger (is it magic? is it motorized?) before I realized its not meant to be used as a press, but as a strainer.

I think I must have it. But first I have to find it. :lol:

Aug 21st, '08, 19:42

by Pentox » Aug 21st, '08, 19:42

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Dee, I use a coffee press all the time for tea, especially when brewing a larger cup for my hubby in the morning. (Also it's easy for him to brew his own.) I especially like it for broken leaf teas, darjeelings, and black teas like chai, since they steep longer and the strainer is so easy.

There's a gorgeous TEA "press" in one of my bookmarks somewhere. I must have spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where they hid the plunger (is it magic? is it motorized?) before I realized its not meant to be used as a press, but as a strainer.

I think I must have it. But first I have to find it. :lol:

Like this?

Aug 21st, '08, 19:44

by Geekgirl » Aug 21st, '08, 19:44

ack! that's the one

Aug 21st, '08, 19:47

by Pentox » Aug 21st, '08, 19:47

This is one I picked up recently. I love it.