Wednesday TeaDay 8/27/08 Tea and appetite?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!


Jumping into a controversial subject. Does tea suppress YOUR appetite? (does it enhance it?)

Yes, I truly believe it does suppress
9
16%
I think in some way it does, maybe indirectly suppress
14
25%
No, I do not think it does suppress
19
33%
NO, definitely not, does not suppress
7
12%
Other
8
14%
 
Total votes: 57

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 03:36
Posts: 21651
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Wednesday TeaDay 8/27/08 Tea and appetite?

by Chip » Aug 27th, '08, 03:36

Yesterday's results surprised me to be honest. Most TeaChatters seemed to indicate a change was needed to improve their enjoyment of tea. You can still vote and discuss this topic!

Welcome everyone to TeaDay. I hope you can share a cup with us today. In fact, let's brew and share all day.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic. A lot of talk about tea and weight loss. This is a controversial and sensitive subject for many. But for you, intentionally or not, does tea suppress your appetite? Or does it enhance it? Nothing at all? Has tea been a part of weight loss for you? Directly, indirectly?

Since this is a sensitive subject, please be ... sensitive. :idea:

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone today, bottoms up :!:
Last edited by Chip on Oct 17th, '08, 08:26, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 04:14
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Koten Fuukega Chawan

by Salsero » Aug 27th, '08, 04:14

The tea is Sencha Super Supreme; the yunomi, Aritayaki Porcelain in a chawan shape. I never have figured out what Koten Fuukega means.

There is a mountain on the left with a small tree, a building in the middle (maybe Shinto shrine?), and a big tree on the right. The colors are muted, which makes them hard to get right in a photo.

Image

I like the contrast of the cup paired with the dark and rough-looking pottery kyusu.

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 04:55
Posts: 924
Joined: Feb 6th, '08, 04:57
Location: enjoying a cup of Red Rose down in GA

by omegapd » Aug 27th, '08, 04:55

I don't think tea does anything for my appetite. All I know is that it goes well with the majority of foods I eat. :lol:

EW

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 05:58
Posts: 237
Joined: Feb 1st, '08, 19:08
Location: Oslo

by Selaphiel » Aug 27th, '08, 05:58

I did not know this was a rumor that tea had. I get really hungry when drinking green tea, not so much when I drink other kinds of tea. I have no idea why.

Sometime in the future I want a collective photo of your tea ware Salsero, you seem to have a LOT of it. Beautiful chawan.

Gonna go for some Shincha Kirameki today.

Aug 27th, '08, 06:34
Posts: 120
Joined: Feb 5th, '06, 23:53
Location: Cape Cod
Contact: soapy

by soapy » Aug 27th, '08, 06:34

I do know for fact that caffeine is a stimulant and suppresses the appetite

I love the contrast and color grouping Sal!

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 06:46
Posts: 593
Joined: Apr 21st, '07, 23:01
Location: Indianapolis IN
Contact: augie

by augie » Aug 27th, '08, 06:46

Another great picture to start the day, Salsero.

Tea does nothing for my appetite, either way. I'm doing good enough on my own. Off to work . . . :)

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 07:45
Posts: 523
Joined: Apr 10th, '08, 16:39
Location: Sweden
Contact: Beidao

by Beidao » Aug 27th, '08, 07:45

Image
Image

Ceylon OP1 Kenilworth. Three cups so far. Nice but very much like Keemun :?

Now having something black from the cupboard. Not sure what it is really, Nilgiri maybe?

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 07:46
Posts: 865
Joined: Oct 13th, '07, 10:12
Location: Nørwåy

by Trey Winston » Aug 27th, '08, 07:46

Tea seems to put a damper on my appetite while I'm drinking it, but shortly afterwards it returns with a vengeance.

Aug 27th, '08, 07:55
Posts: 136
Joined: Jun 8th, '08, 21:36
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts

by laran7 » Aug 27th, '08, 07:55

I voted "other". I feel that tea can define my appetite - it invites or allows tastes which complement it and discourages flavors that "fight with it". It is an interesting concept. (at least to me) When I first tried Matcha - I wanted something sweet, just a taste of somethng with a specific taste (I could not imagine what that would ideally be) . Reading about the tea ceremony now - offering "small sweets" makes perfect sense.
I agree that caffeine in anything suppresses the appetite.
I understand better how the tea ceremony offers a unique balence.

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 08:55
Posts: 714
Joined: Aug 21st, '07, 15:53
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Connecticut
Contact: CynTEAa

by CynTEAa » Aug 27th, '08, 08:55

Yunnan Gold to start, of course. Green tea makes me hungry for certain, but other kinds don't seem to do the same. Unless, I've skipped lunch to finish a tea tasting... :wink:

Need a second cup to get started today. Allergy woes!

Have a good day everyone! Wonderful pic, Salsero! Seems to say, "Rugged yet refined." :)

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 09:02
Posts: 5191
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

by Salsero » Aug 27th, '08, 09:02

Selaphiel wrote: Sometime in the future I want a collective photo of your teaware Salsero, you seem to have a LOT of it.
It seems like more if you see it only one piece at a time. I will look into some familty portraits, however.
augie wrote: Off to work . . . :)
Hope your first day goes well, Augie!
Beidao wrote: Nilgiri maybe?
Sounds good. Nice photos of the the cup! Thanks. Another attractive contrast today!

I think I will join you in that Nilgiri, Beidao. Yesterday I finished a two-tea day with a "bacon and potatoes" yellow from Tuo Cha Tea blogger in Slovakia. Apparently Huo Shan Huang Ya is how you say bacon and potatoes in Chinese. :lol:

I've never noticed that tea has any effect on my appetite. Well, except the bacon and potatoes made me feel sort of full. Good tea day all!

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 09:14
Posts: 320
Joined: Jan 31st, '08, 09:33

by Aphroditea » Aug 27th, '08, 09:14

Gorgeous cup Sal!

I have been seriously drinking tea for a little over a year now and I have lost 20 pounds in that time. However, I am not convinced the tea had much to do with it. The biggest changes that I have noticed that are tea-related are that because I tend to drink so much throughout the day I no longer snack as much as I used to and I also do not retain water quite so much (but I have also cut back on sodium).

So, final verdict is that I am unconvinced that the claim is true - plus I have heard from so many people in the past claiming that typically when they are finished drinking their tea they get VERY hungry afterwards.

In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 09:21
Posts: 714
Joined: Aug 21st, '07, 15:53
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Connecticut
Contact: CynTEAa

by CynTEAa » Aug 27th, '08, 09:21

Aphroditea wrote: I have been seriously drinking tea for a little over a year now and I have lost 20 pounds in that time.
Congrats, Aphy!
Aphroditea wrote:In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)
I tend to like something full bodied in the am. Have anything on hand like that?

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 09:30
Posts: 265
Joined: Feb 23rd, '08, 12:30
Contact: jazz88

by jazz88 » Aug 27th, '08, 09:30

I voted "I think in some way it does". Tea drinking makes me feel less stressed out, these is something very comforting about a cup of tea. Maybe this is the reason why I feel tea does curb my appetite (I tend to eat more when I'm stressed out) Dunno ...

Salsero, Beidao – nice images!

Drinking keemun concerto. I tried keemun at the Huntington Botanical Garden, CA and liked it a lot.

User avatar
Aug 27th, '08, 09:32
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 20th, '08, 16:08
Location: PA, USA

by Smari » Aug 27th, '08, 09:32

Aphroditea wrote: I have been seriously drinking tea for a little over a year now and I have lost 20 pounds in that time. However, I am not convinced the tea had much to do with it. The biggest changes that I have noticed that are tea-related are that because I tend to drink so much throughout the day I no longer snack as much as I used to and I also do not retain water quite so much (but I have also cut back on sodium).

So, final verdict is that I am unconvinced that the claim is true - plus I have heard from so many people in the past claiming that typically when they are finished drinking their tea they get VERY hungry afterwards.

In my cup today - dunno, yet....but I will take suggestions :)
Oh wow, within the year that I started drinking tea (green tea mostly) with intense training with my personal trainer, I've lost over 20lbs, too! I did some researching & experimenting and it apparently suppresses my appetite and raised my metabolic rate - go figure. So I am a true believer that tea can help with weight loss, if included with daily exercise & a healthy diet.

In my cup this morning - sencha extra green w/ matcha.

Locked