Thursday TeaDay 10/23/08 Tea and incense?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

tsusentei asks (and offers these interesting poll options), "incense and tea, is this a good combination?"

I drink both!
4%
Always together and in the same room.
No votes
Before tea to warm you up.
No votes
After tea to wrap it up.
2%
It gets in the way of the tea fragrance.
43%
Incense makes me sneeze
31%
Other
20%

Total votes: 54

Oct 23rd, '08, 17:53

by Cinnamon Kitty » Oct 23rd, '08, 17:53

Shelob wrote:Hello, my name is Micki and for a few days I will be keeping you posted on Shelob per her request. She is currently in the hospital; after yesterdays dr. visit, previous tests indicate she has a punctured/collapsed lung, and 3 possibly 4 compressed discs in her back..whatever the hell that means!? :roll:
That's terrible! Best wishes to Shelob to get well soon!

Victoria: sorry to hear about the credit card number theft. I hope everything works out for you to get that taken care of.

In my cup: Adagio's Valentine with a splash of vanilla almond milk. After that, probably Golden Nepal TGFOP from SpecialTeas to get me through tutoring a high school girl in trigonometry. I tried the Nepal for the first time earlier today and enjoyed it. It was very smooth, fruity, but slightly astringent. The dry leaves were nice to look at with a sprinkling of white tips among a few different shades of brown. I didn't expect much from this tea since I got it from a friend who had gotten it from another friend, but it was actually very good.

Oct 23rd, '08, 18:10

by chamekke » Oct 23rd, '08, 18:10

Shelob wrote:Hey! Skye is just overwhelmed with all your kind words and wishes for happy, speedy healing. I just read them to her over the phone. Will be spending time w/her tonite for a while, maybe I will print them out for her, that would be nice.

If you would like to send cards, she asked that you send them to the following address: Lori Pataky 610 Daniels Farm Road Trumbull CT. 06611

According to her she will be leaving the hospital in a day or 2 :roll: so this address is the best for now. She and her mom will be staying there for a day or 2 until off to PA, then we will give you that address :!: Guess she is anxious to see your cards. She said - "send me tea!" haha, I believe she was only kidding :)

And yes, perhaps I could be persuaded to become a Teachatter too! I'll hopefully check in tomorrow and thank you all from me for being so kind so quickly to Skye.
Hi Micki,

If you wouldn't mind sending me the PA address by personal message (click the "PM" button below this text to do that), that would be ideal. I live in Canada and it's highly unlikely my card will arrive at its destination in less than a week's time... so I might as well send it to the PA address to start with.

In the meantime I hope lots of American TeaChatters will use their superior access to USPS to drop her a line :-)

And yes, please do become a TeaChatter! You're most welcome.

Oct 23rd, '08, 19:08

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 23rd, '08, 19:08

Stopped by for a quick peek at today's poll and learned more than I expected!
Shelob - Hope you're on the mend soon. Sent you a PM.
Mickey - Thank you for letting us know and passing along our messages. And welcome to the wonderful world of tea.
Victoria - Sorry about your card. So frustrating!

Today I tried some really horrible Korean Ginseng Tea from a co-worker. Her hubby just returned from a business trip in Korea where their hosts gave everyone huge, restaurant-size boxes of ginseng tea bags. Neither of them drink tea at all, so she thought I might use it. It isn't even tea, but granulated stuff to be dissolved in your cup. The box says it's "chiefly made from extract of Korean Ginseng". Ack.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 23rd, '08, 19:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Oct 23rd, '08, 19:13

daughteroftheKing wrote:The box says it's "chiefly made from extract of Korean Ginseng". Ack.
Wow, I hope that wasn't the official ingredient list. I don't know if I'd try anything that said something like:

Ingredients: Chiefly chicken.

And so much tragedy going on. I hope for a swift recovery (physical and fiscal) for everybody!

I had some dragonwell (first time!) with my dinner. Not too bad. These greens are leaving me wondering if I'm brewing them concentrated enough, though.

Oct 23rd, '08, 20:06

by daughteroftheKing » Oct 23rd, '08, 20:06

Drax wrote:
daughteroftheKing wrote:The box says it's "chiefly made from extract of Korean Ginseng". Ack.
Wow, I hope that wasn't the official ingredient list. I don't know if I'd try anything that said something like:

Ingredients: Chiefly chicken.
Scary, isn't it?! Yep, that was pretty much the only thing in English on the box, except the directions to put 1 or 2 bags into a glass of hot or cold water. Oh, and of course, "Please enjoy this tea." And I'm not sure, but I think I've figured out that it says it has 10 cal. per cup. Good grief, if that's true I definitely won't try any more of it.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Oct 23rd, '08, 21:33

by leiche » Oct 23rd, '08, 21:33

Best wishes to Shelob and Victoria! Physical and financial issues are never easy to deal with.

I've been alternating between Assam and some Qi Zhong oolong all day, but keep forgetting to drink them until they're lukewarm.

I sort of like incense, but I can't really handle it-- most scented candles, perfumes, that sort of thing all give me bad headaches and make me nauseous.

Oct 23rd, '08, 21:44

by laran7 » Oct 23rd, '08, 21:44

hop_goblin wrote:Oh man, as delicate of aroma that some teas have, it will definitely be a waste
Thats pretty much how I feel about incense vs tea.
Don't the senses of taste and smell overlap eachother ? So much so that it is a given that some odors can overpower tastes.People who work with perfumes are not allowed to eat certain things like garlic, onions etc. (OK those are obviously strong but so is almost anything I can think of burning - it is just the action of burning, I think. It is way over my head to analyze chemically - but roasting, charing, burning - are all used to intensify odor and taste. Anything burning can't help but compete with tea.)
Maybe someday I'll try the beautiful Japanese incense Victoria mentioned.

Oolong #40 with a touch of honey on this cold cold night.
I just got in and it feels icy outside.

P.S. Best wishes to Shelob - I'm sorry about your accident and I do hope for your speedy recovery

Oct 23rd, '08, 21:47

by Victoria » Oct 23rd, '08, 21:47

Thanks guys, it's been a bummer and given me such a headache I actually drank a cup of coffee this afternoon hoping it would help.

I guess I'll go to bed early and hope for a better day tomorrow.

Oct 23rd, '08, 22:20

by JM » Oct 23rd, '08, 22:20

I like plug in's.

Espresso, Green Tea and Whisky tea.

Oct 23rd, '08, 22:42

by Maitre_Tea » Oct 23rd, '08, 22:42

daughteroftheKing wrote:Today I tried some really horrible Korean Ginseng Tea from a co-worker. Her hubby just returned from a business trip in Korea where their hosts gave everyone huge, restaurant-size boxes of ginseng tea bags. Neither of them drink tea at all, so she thought I might use it. It isn't even tea, but granulated stuff to be dissolved in your cup. The box says it's "chiefly made from extract of Korean Ginseng". Ack.
I think I've actually seen that before, in some Chinese supermarkets. My mom drinks it regularly, and it's more like a health drink than tea. I agree too that the word "chiefly" scared me

Oct 27th, '08, 12:54

by horsencl » Oct 27th, '08, 12:54

I have terrible allergies so incense is a rare event in my house. It also gives my mom headaches. I think it would mask the aroma of tea though and the aroma is one of my favorite parts of drinking tea. I'd hate to miss out on it.

Oct 27th, '08, 19:09

by teaguru » Oct 27th, '08, 19:09

I seem to have inherited my mother's super sensitive nose (we often have jokes about who has the better sense of smell; my mom or her dog), so any kind of strong scents usually overwhelm me and make me sick to the stomach. So I'm going with the "Incense makes me sneeze" option.

Oct 28th, '08, 01:10

by Chip » Oct 28th, '08, 01:10

Le bump 3
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!