Sunday TeaRoom 11/23/08 TeaSlob, TeaKlutz?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Are you a TeaSlob or TeaClutz in the tea preparation, clean up, storing as it relates to TEA?

I am definitely a TeaSlob
13%
I am definitely a TeaKlutz
17%
I am definitely a TeaSlob and TeaKlutz
15%
Hmmm, I don't think so
31%
I am NOT a TeaSlob or TeaKlutz
24%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 54

Nov 23rd, '08, 22:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » Nov 23rd, '08, 22:28

Chip wrote:Slop, most definitely, water everywhere all the time. But that is to be expected when using Asian teaware.
I don't want to self identify as either but the evidence suggests otherwise.

I'm glad that you made the distinction above: I'm pretty well organized but shun those tea trays and instead gongfu over a towel. The towel gets replaced at least daily. I like to think that I'm seasoning towels alongside Yixing. I'll occasionally leave leaves in the teapot overnight.

And I don't own a Yixing without a small chip on the rim of the inner lid. The part that drops down into the teapot. Each chip is nearly identical. Even on the pots that I don't use often.

I broke my longstanding gaiwan last week. It was cheap, and broken, the saucer and 40% of the lid long gone. I occasionally burned my hand because of the missing part of the lid, and with half a lid it was really challenging to keep the whole thing together while pouring. I dropped the thing while cleaning it.

Inuring myself to the new gaiwan is very strange at first.

Nov 23rd, '08, 22:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Nov 23rd, '08, 22:48

Heh, about to jinx myself, I have NOT broken a gaiwan ... yet.

Also forgot my Asian teacup "hackysak manuver." The cup slides off a tray or out of my hand on my way to the kitchen, instinctively, I try to hackysac the cup. This has saved cups more times than I would like to admit. I think I tried this with one of my good knives several years ago, generally not a good idea considering virtually every knife I own is razor sharp.

Great TeaDays continue. A Nilgiri black followed by Adagio Sencha Premier.

Nov 23rd, '08, 23:31

by chamekke » Nov 23rd, '08, 23:31

Heh, Chip. Love it!

And because I just know that one or two of our overseas TeaChatters may not be familiar with the expression "hackysacking":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ftXTv_hGU

Nov 23rd, '08, 23:40

by Vulture » Nov 23rd, '08, 23:40

I try to keep things organized and I am clean when brewing most the time (except when sleepy)

Nov 24th, '08, 03:45

by teaguy » Nov 24th, '08, 03:45

Hey guys! It's Monday afternoon here for me, is it ok to post? Hope so, 'cause I'm going to anyway!!

Drank a LOT of Hung Cha (Black Tea) on Sunday, and had an experience pertinent to this question. I'm not so much klutzy or sloppy, but absent-minded frequently comes to mind.

Here's a link to my story (there are too many pictures to put them all in here).

http://www.taiwanteaguy.com/2008/11/24/ ... /#more-970

Anyone have an experience like that to share? Halloween is over, but why not discuss some 'horror stories'. Might take a bit of the tea snob out of some of us!!!

Oh, I also noticed some discussion about tea towels/trays. I use a tea cloth (see photos at above link), but also have an assortment of trays. Don't usually slop water around much anymore though. Kind of got through it.

By the way, I'm also from IDAHO and PROUD of it!!! No more potato jokes please!!
:)

Nov 24th, '08, 10:28

by chad » Nov 24th, '08, 10:28

Not a slob or klutz!

I work at keeping my desk tea "stuff" neat and clean. Same at home. I don't have a dish fairy or "mom" to go behind me and clean up!!

Sunday was a chai kind of day.

Nov 24th, '08, 11:46

by kymidwife » Nov 24th, '08, 11:46

chad wrote:I don't have a dish fairy or "mom" to go behind me and clean up!!
Sign me up for one of those.