Oct 8th, '17, 10:16
Vendor Member

Re: Ferg: Last sale - Glazed Gafu Ito (proceeds to go to non-profit animal rescue)

by jayinhk » Oct 8th, '17, 10:16

Ferg wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Suggested tweak is to just pop the teabag in a mug (preheat if you want) and then remove the bag before adding milk. This will prevent overbrewing. There's still an art to brewing teabags just right! :)
Thanks again Jay. :wink: Yes, I was intuitively doing a teabag in mug prior to getting the brown betty (made in England), which I would dose with whole milk to end the brewing process.

I have left teabags steeping within this teapot as it cools down after a relatively short period. I'll take your advice and experiment. I guess at the end, or 'beginning' of the day I should say, I simply like strong coffee and tea.
If you do like using the brown betty, you could always go all out and get sugar bowls with tiny tongs and tea cosies and all manner of things. LOL. One of my childhood memories is having breakfast before 7 am and my parents' teapot sitting on the table under the cosy, ready for them when they woke up (we had housekeepers). They eventually stopped with the teapot and just used mugs instead.

Oct 8th, '17, 15:59

Re: Ferg: Last sale - Glazed Gafu Ito (proceeds to go to non-profit animal rescue)

by Ferg » Oct 8th, '17, 15:59

jayinhk wrote:
If you do like using the brown betty, you could always go all out and get sugar bowls with tiny tongs and tea cosies and all manner of things. LOL. One of my childhood memories is having breakfast before 7 am and my parents' teapot sitting on the table under the cosy, ready for them when they woke up (we had housekeepers). They eventually stopped with the teapot and just used mugs instead.
:lol: Too funny Jay. Thanks for sharing your family story. I was already considering finding a cozy for this 4 cup betty. I actually returned a 6 cup, much too big, with toaster-top type cozy, that I wasn't a fan of. The original owners left a lot of dishware here, including these nice cups and coasters made in England, some porcelain teapots, and I believe a sugar bowl and creamer even. Part of the reason I wanted to put them to use. I searched out for the betty for a more authentic brewing experience. So far, so good. This tea seems like more of a go-to, everyday staple, similar to my drip coffee maker. Not as much variety, but a consistent cuppa every time!

Oct 10th, '17, 00:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 10th, '17, 00:56

Ferg wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
:lol: Too funny Jay. Thanks for sharing your family story. I was already considering finding a cozy for this 4 cup betty. I actually returned a 6 cup, much too big, with toaster-top type cozy, that I wasn't a fan of. The original owners left a lot of dishware here, including these nice cups and coasters made in England, some porcelain teapots, and I believe a sugar bowl and creamer even. Part of the reason I wanted to put them to use. I searched out for the betty for a more authentic brewing experience. So far, so good. This tea seems like more of a go-to, everyday staple, similar to my drip coffee maker. Not as much variety, but a consistent cuppa every time!
Are you going to be able to stick to PG Tips alone long term? :wink:

Oct 10th, '17, 20:34

by Ferg » Oct 10th, '17, 20:34

jayinhk wrote:
Just shipped out my last teapot, apart from the Betty, in the house. I am content for the time-being, but time shall tell. :P Feels a bit empty here already.

I have an assortment of teabag teas to hold me over including Tazo :twisted:, Celestial Seasonings, and Punjana (based out of Northern Ireland) for my Irish roots. I've also supported my local Chinese restaurant by stocking up over time on their offerings including Golden Bridge and Sea Dyke Brand Oolong. I have too many boxes to count...

Oct 11th, '17, 08:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 11th, '17, 08:22

Ferg wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Just shipped out my last teapot, apart from the Betty, in the house. I am content for the time-being, but time shall tell. :P Feels a bit empty here already.

I have an assortment of teabag teas to hold me over including Tazo :twisted:, Celestial Seasonings, and Punjana (based out of Northern Ireland) for my Irish roots. I've also supported my local Chinese restaurant by stocking up over time on their offerings including Golden Bridge and Sea Dyke Brand Oolong. I have too many boxes to count...
Sounds like you're well stocked up with everyday drinkers!

Oct 20th, '17, 16:24

by Alex » Oct 20th, '17, 16:24

Speaking of tea cosies my great grandfather used to wear one on his head and the spout hole was used for his old fashioned hearing aid. LOL

Oct 20th, '17, 18:16

by Ferg » Oct 20th, '17, 18:16

Alex wrote: Speaking of tea cosies my great grandfather used to wear one on his head and the spout hole was used for his old fashioned hearing aid. LOL
Ha, that would be a funny sight to see! :lol:

I am actually enjoying a cuppa at this moment. On my second pot for the day. It's only been PG Tips and Digestives today, nothing else. Not sure how healthy that is, but it does the trick in a pinch.

Now, I just have to find a cozy myself and I'll be all set.

+ Post Reply