FS: Late 90s Hongni 65ml from ChaWangShop

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.

May 1st, '18, 10:09

FS: Late 90s Hongni 65ml from ChaWangShop

by Kale » May 1st, '18, 10:09

Selling a late 90s hongni (~65ml). It was purchased a couple of months ago from Cha Wang Shop (now sold out). A truly fine pot with a decent pour.

Selling it for $45+ shipping (that's 40% off, as you can see It was purchased for $72 + shipping).
Please reply if you interested

Image-1-1024x1024.jpg

May 8th, '18, 06:42

Re: FS: Late 90s Hongni 65ml from ChaWangShop

by Kale » May 8th, '18, 06:42

Price down to $45 + shipping

May 10th, '18, 09:28

by Kale » May 10th, '18, 09:28

Price down to $40 + shipping for this nice little pot from the 1990s!!!

May 10th, '18, 23:48

by fingertap » May 10th, '18, 23:48

Hi -- I thought the teapot was taken. If it's still available, I'm interested -- please PM me. Thanks!
Kale wrote: Price down to $40 + shipping for this nice little pot from the 1990s!!!

May 13th, '18, 08:12

by Kale » May 13th, '18, 08:12

fingertap wrote: Hi -- I thought the teapot was taken. If it's still available, I'm interested -- please PM me. Thanks!
Kale wrote: Price down to $40 + shipping for this nice little pot from the 1990s!!!
Hi, I'm unable to PM you for some reason. Do you have a reedit account? FB? or email I can contact you?

May 13th, '18, 10:19

by MaxHeiCha » May 13th, '18, 10:19

Hi I am very interested in getting this teapot I hope it's still available. Please let me know I live in the USA

May 13th, '18, 10:20

by MaxHeiCha » May 13th, '18, 10:20

Hi please pm me or email me at maxmazza1818@gmail.com if it's still available

May 13th, '18, 12:42

by Kale » May 13th, '18, 12:42

MaxHeiCha wrote:
Hi please pm me or email me at maxmazza1818@gmail.com if it's still available
Hi, I'm afraid it has been sold....

Jun 5th, '18, 10:26

by villagezoo » Jun 5th, '18, 10:26

Hi Kale,
I know it's long since sold but just out of interest, why did you decide to sell this teapot? How did the clay compare with F1 Hongni pots (that is, if you have any)? I was looking at it on Chawangshop a while back...
Kale wrote: Selling a late 90s hongni (~65ml). It was purchased a couple of months ago from Cha Wang Shop (now sold out). A truly fine pot with a decent pour.

Jun 5th, '18, 13:17

by Kale » Jun 5th, '18, 13:17

villagezoo wrote: Hi Kale,
I know it's long since sold but just out of interest, why did you decide to sell this teapot? How did the clay compare with F1 Hongni pots (that is, if you have any)? I was looking at it on Chawangshop a while back...
I decided to sell it because it was just to small for me. I usually use a high leaf/water ratio and that makes a 65ml pot suitable for one drinker while I usually drink with someone...

As for F1 hongni, the answer really depends on the period (F1 had a few periods between which the clay quality varies significantly) and the tea.
With young Pu-erh, for example, I don't think that you will feel a difference between a non-factory hongni (assuming that it is of good quality) and an F1 hongni from the late 80s.
More generally, the good F1 hongnis that can actually make your tea better were made in the 60s and cost about $1500. In my view (and some will disagree), unless you get a really good deal, the extra 100$ that you pay for a late 80s F1 hongni over a good non-factory hongni from the 90s is not justified....

Jun 6th, '18, 06:06

by villagezoo » Jun 6th, '18, 06:06

That's interesting what you write - were you using it for young shengs? As I'm on the lookout for a good pot for my yancha, I've been reading that many are using these small shuiping pots rather for yancha, as they prefer to fill the pot completely with leaves, so it's not so economical to use so much leaf with the bigger teapots. Did you ever try brewing yancha in that pot, and if so how did it taste?
Kale wrote:
I decided to sell it because it was just to small for me. I usually use a high leaf/water ratio and that makes a 65ml pot suitable for one drinker while I usually drink with someone...

As for F1 hongni, the answer really depends on the period (F1 had a few periods between which the clay quality varies significantly) and the tea.
With young Pu-erh, for example, I don't think that you will feel a difference between a non-factory hongni (assuming that it is of good quality) and an F1 hongni from the late 80s.
More generally, the good F1 hongnis that can actually make your tea better were made in the 60s and cost about $1500. In my view (and some will disagree), unless you get a really good deal, the extra 100$ that you pay for a late 80s F1 hongni over a good non-factory hongni from the 90s is not justified....

Jun 6th, '18, 09:34

by Kale » Jun 6th, '18, 09:34

villagezoo wrote: That's interesting what you write - were you using it for young shengs? As I'm on the lookout for a good pot for my yancha, I've been reading that many are using these small shuiping pots rather for yancha, as they prefer to fill the pot completely with leaves, so it's not so economical to use so much leaf with the bigger teapots. Did you ever try brewing yancha in that pot, and if so how did it taste?
I think that people have different preferences when it comes to yancha. These are what I take to be the relevant considerations when it comes to yancha.
First, I actually think that a slightly bigger vessle is better. I would say that anything between 75ml and 100ml is perfect. It might be a matter of heat retention as bigger vessles do somewhat better in this context. But I know that many also drink yancha in pots as small as 35ml.
Second, the pour is also very important. Those last few drops in a pot that has a 12 seconds pour can really change the taste of your tea. Since a good cup of yancha always gets pretty close to the bitter end, a slow pour can make it quite bitter. I know that some masters have their own way to control other factors and make a great cup of tea even in a pot that pours quite slowely, but I have yet to master these skills.
Finally there's the issue of clay. This is really a big topic. I'm with the school that says that either you use a zini or qsn because you like bring out the body and attenuate the roast, use one of those expensive red clays, or a gaiwan.
I got very good results in an early 1980s F1 zini (in the picture) or a gaiwan.
As for your question, I feel that a gaiwan will perform better than this hongni

YPOT.JPG

Jun 15th, '18, 20:28

by bagua7 » Jun 15th, '18, 20:28

Yep. 65mL is too small for me too. I have the 85mL version of this pot and wouldn't sell it. It's tomb item (I'll be buried with it and my tea cakes). :lol:

Jun 19th, '18, 04:46

by villagezoo » Jun 19th, '18, 04:46

Kale wrote: I think that people have different preferences when it comes to yancha. These are what I take to be the relevant considerations when it comes to yancha.
First, I actually think that a slightly bigger vessle is better. I would say that anything between 75ml and 100ml is perfect. It might be a matter of heat retention as bigger vessles do somewhat better in this context. But I know that many also drink yancha in pots as small as 35ml.
Second, the pour is also very important. Those last few drops in a pot that has a 12 seconds pour can really change the taste of your tea. Since a good cup of yancha always gets pretty close to the bitter end, a slow pour can make it quite bitter. I know that some masters have their own way to control other factors and make a great cup of tea even in a pot that pours quite slowely, but I have yet to master these skills.
Finally there's the issue of clay. This is really a big topic. I'm with the school that says that either you use a zini or qsn because you like bring out the body and attenuate the roast, use one of those expensive red clays, or a gaiwan.
I got very good results in an early 1980s F1 zini (in the picture) or a gaiwan.
As for your question, I feel that a gaiwan will perform better than this hongni
That's a nice photo you have. If only I could get my hands on an F1 without breaking the bank.
You've made some good points there. I've been inclined towards a smaller pot <70ml because I'm drinking alone and don't want to use loads of leaf for my pricier yanchas, but then I know the heat retention won't be as good as with a larger pot. I'm aware that a pot with a single hole has a faster pour, but many teapots (especially nowadays) are made with a number of small holes. I'm quite surprised that you'd prefer a gaiwan to your former hongni pot since the gaiwan tends to lose heat fast, but then maybe the particular hongni clay didn't work well with the tea.

Jun 19th, '18, 14:13

by Kale » Jun 19th, '18, 14:13

villagezoo wrote: If only I could get my hands on an F1 without breaking the bank.
….
I'm quite surprised that you'd prefer a gaiwan to your former hongni pot since the gaiwan tends to lose heat fast, but then maybe the particular hongni clay didn't work well with the tea.
So, I usually leaf it very hard in terms of the leaf/water ratio and use very fast steeps (1s-3s) in the beginning. In this setting, a gaiwan makes more sense to me. That is especially true if the pot's pour is rather slow (>10s). In addition, there are certainly thicker gaiwans/shiboridashis that retain heat quite well.

As for F1. You really don't need to break the bank for it. A very good hongni from the 60s will cost $$$, but there are very decent F1 pots that cost much less. Some ppl sell pots with slight imperfections or chips that basically have no effect on the tea but makes it significantly cheaper. I have purchased a beautiful F1 zini from the early 80s for about $130 because it had a few minor chips. I will probably sell it soon for even less to buy a new pot :wink: there are many others like me. You just need to be on the watch for long enough....

+ Post Reply