FS: More Yixing!

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.

Oct 30th, '19, 14:22

Re: FS: More Yixing!

by Zared » Oct 30th, '19, 14:22

brebenne wrote:
Zared wrote:
brebenne wrote: Hi, I have a pot similar to this with different markings and I wonder if you had any insights into it. Bought in Tainan, Taiwan recently. I understand if you don't want to provide free advice, but I am learning and appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Which shape are you talking about? Also zero chance anyone can help w/o pictures of your pot.

Thanks for your response. I meant the three friends of winter pot. I attach pictures here.

I'm new to Yixing (or any clay) pots, but visited quite a lot of shops in China and Taiwan on a recent trip because I've always loved fine teas ordered from online. I purchased this from a tea shop in Tainan where the owner's father made 20 and 30 year old Dong Ding and has a display case with what look to be a bit older along with about 30 other pots. All he wanted to do was talk about the aged tea (he said he wasn't an expert on tea ware and his dad bought most of it), but he said this was the #1 he had, and it was the most expensive at 1600 New Taiwan Dollars. It has a box with it. I bought another pot in Tainan that is of higher quality from another shop, and tea owner also said his dad bought it, so that's either a tale or something that happened a lot in Taiwan.

I bought this and a few others from the tea merchant because the prices were reasonable and everything looked a bit different than I saw in other stores (except those selling much higher prices). Searching online, I see a few variants of this style, including yours, so I imagine it was popular at some point and was copied. I have theorised, based on your comments, that mine is probably a copy of an older model, hence the price, and I suspect it comes from around the same time period as you discuss (1990s) due to Taiwan buying a lot then (so I read). My suspicion was that people aren't buying the lower end Yixing (or so-called), and Tainan gets a few fewer foreign tourists than Taipei (as I perceived on the visit), so it may be something of interest, but if it was a more valuable version the prices would be higher to it would have been gone.

I really am less interested in how much it's worth than the story of the design, and whether these are common or a bit rarer to come across. I'm a scholar, so I love the scholar-gentleman ideal it represents, which I discovered researching the theme.

Thanks again for any insights. I appreciate your time and expertise and am happy to reciprocate in any way.
I don’t know much about the history of this pot except that it’s a classic design.

I also own 2 of these from late 70-80’s era. I believe yours is 90’s or newer though.

Oct 30th, '19, 21:40

by brebenne » Oct 30th, '19, 21:40

[/quote]

I don’t know much about the history of this pot except that it’s a classic design.

I also own 2 of these from late 70-80’s era. I believe yours is 90’s or newer though.
[/quote]

Thanks so much for your response. It's useful having comparisons to make within your own collection. Are they basically the exact same style, or are the later ones more 'rustic'? No need to reply if you don't want as you've been generous enough already and I don't want to waste your time. But I am always willing to sit gratefully at the foot of the master...

I'll buy some books on Yixing to see if I can get a better sense of the market. It seems that the best way to judge quality is beauty more than pedigree, but it's nice to know stories (even if just stories) too.

I'll have a look at your pots for sale. I'm in Australia and South Africa but my folks are in the states so I could have it sent to them.

Thanks again.

Cheers
B

Nov 5th, '19, 21:26

by Zared » Nov 5th, '19, 21:26

brebenne wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks so much for your response. It's useful having comparisons to make within your own collection. Are they basically the exact same style, or are the later ones more 'rustic'? No need to reply if you don't want as you've been generous enough already and I don't want to waste your time. But I am always willing to sit gratefully at the foot of the master...

I'll buy some books on Yixing to see if I can get a better sense of the market. It seems that the best way to judge quality is beauty more than pedigree, but it's nice to know stories (even if just stories) too.

I'll have a look at your pots for sale. I'm in Australia and South Africa but my folks are in the states so I could have it sent to them.

Thanks again.

Cheers
B
[/quote]

Same exact style. Your pot is a copy of F1 pot like these two. Quality of these pots after this era is usually less refined and often sloppy looking.

Here’s an average quality version from 70-80’s https://www.instagram.com/p/BxxjB6EAzOm ... 7ls35f0rj0

Same exact era but from a high ranking potter. Hard to tell from pictures but the quality is significantly better. https://www.instagram.com/p/Blx4dUqHlOl ... gdyov01b76

Dec 2nd, '19, 09:22

by TeaWren » Dec 2nd, '19, 09:22

Has pot #2 been sold yet?

Aug 21st, '20, 18:43

by Raypaige » Aug 21st, '20, 18:43

Can you tell me anything about these? I bought them to keep for my kids when I was stationed in Japan years ago.
Attachments
3AC9D885-B09A-455F-BDB7-7DBB0D964544.jpeg
3AC9D885-B09A-455F-BDB7-7DBB0D964544.jpeg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 858 times
E452C964-2B77-4E11-8E47-921836513B3D.jpeg
E452C964-2B77-4E11-8E47-921836513B3D.jpeg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 858 times
3F863D8A-BE77-4250-A9A4-0605F9DB99EC.jpeg
3F863D8A-BE77-4250-A9A4-0605F9DB99EC.jpeg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 858 times

Aug 26th, '20, 15:49

by TuoChaTea » Aug 26th, '20, 15:49

Raypaige wrote: Can you tell me anything about these? I bought them to keep for my kids when I was stationed in Japan years ago.
Looks like low gquakity tourist teapots, I would not recommend use them to make tea

Jun 7th, '21, 23:52

by demonyc » Jun 7th, '21, 23:52

Hi there! Any of these still available?

+ Post Reply