Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.

Aug 9th, '16, 10:38

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by Tead Off » Aug 9th, '16, 10:38

jayinhk wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Heat is heat, but wood imparts a little flavor. Temperature is the most important factor, followed by length of roast, but temperature is by far the most important factor. Obviously they wanna make it sound like roasting is something hard to do, but roasting tea is much simpler than roasting coffee. Try it and see.
It also imparts its qi, a quality that is sought after by connoisseurs. Roasting IS hard to do. There is a lot of junk in the market.
Qi from roasting is debatable (I don't believe it), but I don't disagree that there's a lot of junk on the market. That's more to do with poor quality base material than roast, IMO. Seriously, try roasting some old Thai green oolong at different temperatures and then letting it rest. I think it would be a very interesting experiment :)
I've done this many times. I don't bother to buy Thai oolongs when I can get superior Taiwanese products. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but Thai oolongs cannot stand up to good Taiwan oolongs.

As for qi, it's a subject I rarely bring up as there are too many interpretations, so let's leave it at that. But taste is a different matter. IMO, charcoal roasting over fire is far superior to electronic roasting. The difference in taste is palpable. Electronic roasting is okay for refreshing a tea, but to roast a Wuyi or gaoshan electronically will not be close in flavor to a good charcoal roasted product. Heat is not heat. They are not all equal. Even gas would be preferable to electricity. You can taste differences in water and food that are heated by different sources. It's not the imagination. Of course, if you don't care or not able discern the difference, it doesn't matter. But your statements just don't ring true to this ear, or mouth. :D

Aug 9th, '16, 12:39
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 9th, '16, 12:39

Let's agree to disagree then. ;) I believe in a fair bit of esoteric stuff, but qi from charcoal/gas isn't one of them if the temperatures are identical.

Also I only suggested Thai oolong for testing purposes. I don't usually drink Thai oolongs either, when Fujian and Taiwan are 90 minutes away!

Oct 3rd, '16, 21:54

by victoria3 » Oct 3rd, '16, 21:54

Today I finally had a chance to try Chen's Medium Roasted DongDing and really really enjoyed it. Very expansive and fresh almost roasted peppermint like aroma and flavours. I love it. It is perfectly roasted. I tend to prefer bolder flavours and so after trying Kyarazen recommended parameters I settled on using slightly more leaf and time; 7gr/100ml/off boil/50sec.
Used my lidded Imari Edo Bowl in a tea-boat to keep bowl hot. For comparison, next time I'll use one of my new yixing pots from Ferg.
Attachments
Chen’s Traditional Dongding 2016_sm2.jpg
Imari Edo Lidded Bowl & Canton tea bowl
Chen’s Traditional Dongding 2016_sm2.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
Last edited by victoria3 on Oct 3rd, '16, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 3rd, '16, 22:05

by victoria3 » Oct 3rd, '16, 22:05

I am still exploring Lishan and FuShoushan steeping parameters. With both I began using Kyarazen recommended steeping parameters and found the flavours were too light for my Argentine taste, so am trying more time and or more leaf. I think using a larger lidded bowl is probably the way to go.
Here is Lishan steeped at 6gr/110/off boil/90sec. It was sweet and buttery with a nice lingering palate but still very light in flavour.
Attachments
Chen’s Lishan Spring 2016_sm.jpg
Yixing Factory 1 Teapot 110ml from Essence of Tea with 1880's Canton tea bowl
Chen’s Lishan Spring 2016_sm.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Nov 9th, '16, 12:01

by kyarazen » Nov 9th, '16, 12:01

bah.. been travelling for quite a while and hadnt been updating on the status of things.

but just a heads up the winter FSS have now been received at Chen Hau Ying's location in Taichung
all the participants of the Mass Order may be in for some delight.. but still that is subjective :D
preliminary assessment, this year's winter FSS is way above par in comparison to last years winter FSS, and a different profile as compared to the Spring FSS. same location, same plantation, same bushes, but just a different season and the taste contrast is on different spectrums~

Nov 9th, '16, 17:42

by victoria3 » Nov 9th, '16, 17:42

I placed a fairly large order of Chen's various roasted oolongs per your suggestion Kyarazen, plus a few others. The whole process was super easy via Messenger of his Facebook page and has already shipped! Thanks again for the intro. Today, I began the day with comfort tea, Chen's DongDing after last nights train wreck here in USA.

Nov 30th, '16, 08:31

by gasninja » Nov 30th, '16, 08:31

I received my order yesterday. I immediately through a couple balls in a big coffee mug gramma style at work. WOW ! I need to order more of this tea to age. I wanted to try the Fu Shou Shan This AM but one look at the tin of DD and I had to try it in a yixing. I am not regretting it. Thanks Kyarazen for putting the group order together.

Mar 9th, '17, 11:01

by kyarazen » Mar 9th, '17, 11:01

hello all, i have received enquiries whether i'll be coordinating a group by again this year....

and the answer is... nope.. because i'm too busy :P

but if you guys are interested, feel free to contact chen (hauying chen) on facebook or anywhere, or anyone else you know in taiwan, be it a tea vendor, merchant, farmer, troll or friend to help you source.

i heard there's a 10% price hike this year.

Mar 10th, '17, 00:14

by Bok » Mar 10th, '17, 00:14

kyarazen wrote: i heard there's a 10% price hike this year.
Makes sense, more and more of the DYL farms are getting dissolved and the weather is erratic as well, which will probably make the yield smaller. Hopefully the Chinese stay focused on their mainland teas and won’t drive up the prices for Taiwanese teas…

Mar 10th, '17, 02:49
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 10th, '17, 02:49

kyarazen wrote: feel free to contact chen (hauying chen) on facebook or anywhere, or anyone else you know in taiwan, be it a tea vendor, merchant, farmer, troll or friend to help you source.

i heard there's a 10% price hike this year.
2600-meter tea @ US$.60 per gram price-- Could a "troll" can handle such heights?

May 2nd, '20, 12:26

by Jason19870313 » May 2nd, '20, 12:26

kyarazen wrote: Hello folks,

the government fushoushan tea farm in the lishan region is scheduled to start its spring tea picking next week, and this will stretch all the way through till end jun to early july. This year's tea season had been delayed by the prolonged winter.

this tea is grown organically at a "dayuling" equivalent altitude of 2600m, and is harvested twice a year only. superb aromatics, full body, and lingering sweet after taste. with the extra snow this year, its said that the spring tea could be even more awesome!

I'm currently working on my own group buy for Singapore only, but at the same time thought I could also see if I can coordinate an international group buy activity for this tea.

The tea will be in its official sealed metal canisters, and for every 2 canister ordered it will come in a fitting paper box.

Each canister contains 75 grams of tea, and will be $40 usd per canister excluding shipping and packaging (cardboard box for postage at approx $2-$3).
shipping can be estimated here at :

Asia : http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/U_ ... cel_2.html
USA : http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/U_ ... cel_4.html
Europe : http://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/U_ ... cel_5.html

If you are keen/interested please fill in the form at : *edit - removed! the amount of tea requested is quite substantial now and we're closing off the list for the time being so that everyone will be able to get their requested order. thanks for the interest!

we would like to make a disclaimer that having filled the form does not guarantee that one will get the tea because of its huge demand, and limited supply. Since harvest will end only in june, and into early july, I would estimate this tea to be only received and ready for shipping in Mid August, subject to availability. If your "order" is confirmed, an email or a paypal invoice will be sent to you in July.

This mass order will be coordinated by me and brother Chen hau ying in Taichung, and shipped directly from taiwan.
Hi bro
Still doing?

I from Singapore too

+ Post Reply