Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.

User avatar
Jul 18th 16 10:48 pm
Posts: 320
Joined: Jul 11th 15 3:36 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by Frisbeehead » Jul 18th 16 10:48 pm

jayinhk wrote:Frisbeehead, once you get set up, I'm coming to visit. Food and exotic heicha :D
I'm down 8)

User avatar
Jul 19th 16 3:45 am
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by kyarazen » Jul 19th 16 3:45 am

Frisbeehead wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Frisbeehead, once you get set up, I'm coming to visit. Food and exotic heicha :D
I'm down 8)
川妹。。。。 :P :P :mrgreen:

not too sure if i'll be heading anywhere near there but my fellow incense maker hails from sichuan and he has successfully gotten me to like quite many chuan style foods

User avatar
Jul 19th 16 3:54 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by jayinhk » Jul 19th 16 3:54 am

kyarazen wrote:
Frisbeehead wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Frisbeehead, once you get set up, I'm coming to visit. Food and exotic heicha :D
I'm down 8)
川妹。。。。 :P :P :mrgreen:

not too sure if i'll be heading anywhere near there but my fellow incense maker hails from sichuan and he has successfully gotten me to like quite many chuan style foods
Sichuan and Hunan food are my two favorite cuisines in China for sure!

User avatar
Jul 21st 16 10:20 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by jayinhk » Jul 21st 16 10:20 am

Tea arrived today! :D letting both rest in the tins to acclimatize and pick up some moisture.

User avatar
Jul 22nd 16 2:58 pm
Posts: 5896
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by debunix » Jul 22nd 16 2:58 pm

Paid up....now waiting eagerly. Love the early reports on the teas. I ordered both 'extras' too, and now am really looking forward to them as well as the Fushoushan.

User avatar
Jul 23rd 16 8:13 pm
Posts: 2794
Joined: Oct 17th 08 1:01 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by Drax » Jul 23rd 16 8:13 pm

Tea is in the house, and in its home and quietly sleeping. Going to wait a few days for it to wake up. Smells wonderful!

Jul 26th 16 2:15 am
Posts: 755
Joined: Aug 4th 14 9:43 am

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by Bok » Jul 26th 16 2:15 am

So in that logic, I guess any roasted/oxidised tea from Taiwan would benefit from awaking, isn’t it? Can’t be true only for Dongding.

Teas that are stored in the fridge should also not be opened straight away, I always leave the pack a day or two outside before I cut the seal open.

User avatar
Jul 26th 16 2:53 am
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sep 2nd 13 7:22 am
Location: in your tea closet
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by kyarazen » Jul 26th 16 2:53 am

Bok wrote:So in that logic, I guess any roasted/oxidised tea from Taiwan would benefit from awaking, isn’t it? Can’t be true only for Dongding.

Teas that are stored in the fridge should also not be opened straight away, I always leave the pack a day or two outside before I cut the seal open.
yes, any tea can benefit from awakening if you know how it was stored. if it was stored taiwanese style, i.e. clay container, stopper, and a cloth in between, then that may not be necessary as the moisture content in the leaves stored this way is much higher.

the oxygen and moisture absorber (and sometimes unfortunately is also a fragrance absorber) in tea packages continues to dehydrate the tea, and once past a threshold, the aromatics of the tea is not in its right "oxidation state"

User avatar
Jul 26th 16 6:01 am
Posts: 1581
Joined: Jul 21st 10 6:25 am
Location: Oz
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by bagua7 » Jul 26th 16 6:01 am

Two canisters ordered and paid. Can't wait for the delivery! But...I shall wait until the start of Spring here in Australia (September) to fully enjoy this excellent TW oolong. :)

User avatar
Jul 26th 16 6:04 am
Posts: 1581
Joined: Jul 21st 10 6:25 am
Location: Oz
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by bagua7 » Jul 26th 16 6:04 am

jayinhk wrote:A lot of things in Chinese are done the other way around from English--family names come first, and addresses are backwards (country and town first). Makes a heck of a lot more sense to go left to right and top down in order of importance instead of ass backwards the western way.
Ancient Confucian values and wisdom...something the 'ass backwards' West lost after Ancient Greece collapsed. :wink:

User avatar
Jul 27th 16 3:13 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by jayinhk » Jul 27th 16 3:13 am

Tried the Dongding today. Roast level wasn't as high as I expected, which means the temperature was kept lower than with the kind of old school high fire oolongs I'm used to drinking in Hong Kong. This is a very good roast level as it does not dominate and allows the character of the leaf to shine through, even this young. The aroma of the tea was excellent from the moment the leaves hit the warmed pot (used my 85ml hongni shuiping from the recent EoT batch and brewing with my go to unfiltered spring water from the French Alps--Luchon). Cleanest, purest dongding flavor I've ever tasted. The roast is perfectly balanced, even this young, which means Mr Chen definitely knows how to roast his tea. Classic dongding fruitiness. Infusion one left me with an aftertaste of cinnamon and nutmeg after the swallow, which was lovely.

Blew my nose before infusion two--should've done that before infusion one.

Much clearer, more intense flavor and dongding fruitiness in the succeeding infusions. The flavor is very long lasting, too. Five minutes after the last infusion, I can still taste it clearly. I detected a hint of red date under the dominant flavor and I swear I even tasted a little longan. The spice from the first infusion was not detectable in the later infusions. I drank five infusions in rapid succession and now I need to take a little break for breakfast as the caffeine is getting to me. ;)

I haven't pulled the leaves out of the pot yet, but from looking at cwarren's pics on IG, I know I'm in for a treat as his leaf shots were amazing!

User avatar
Jul 27th 16 4:35 am
Posts: 202
Joined: Feb 10th 14 1:01 am

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by CWarren » Jul 27th 16 4:35 am

jayinhk wrote:Tried the Dongding today. Roast level wasn't as high as I expected, which means the temperature was kept lower than with the kind of old school high fire oolongs I'm used to drinking in Hong Kong. This is a very good roast level as it does not dominate and allows the character of the leaf to shine through, even this young. The aroma of the tea was excellent from the moment the leaves hit the warmed pot (used my 85ml hongni shuiping from the recent EoT batch and brewing with my go to unfiltered spring water from the French Alps--Luchon). Cleanest, purest dongding flavor I've ever tasted. The roast is perfectly balanced, even this young, which means Mr Chen definitely knows how to roast his tea. Classic dongding fruitiness. Infusion one left me with an aftertaste of cinnamon and nutmeg after the swallow, which was lovely.

Blew my nose before infusion two--should've done that before infusion one.

Much clearer, more intense flavor and dongding fruitiness in the succeeding infusions. The flavor is very long lasting, too. Five minutes after the last infusion, I can still taste it clearly. I detected a hint of red date under the dominant flavor and I swear I even tasted a little longan. The spice from the first infusion was not detectable in the later infusions. I drank five infusions in rapid succession and now I need to take a little break for breakfast as the caffeine is getting to me. ;)

I haven't pulled the leaves out of the pot yet, but from looking at cwarren's pics on IG, I know I'm in for a treat as his leaf shots were amazing!
The way he roasts is amazing keeping all the amazing green color and flavor of the tea but yet adding that roasted nuance without delivering some overly charcoal blackened bits that one often sees in these teas. I full heartedly admit that he's spoiled me for other Taiwanese oolongs and everything I steep has to reach that bar or I'm disappointed. I ordered his full list of summer teas that were just released as well as the rest of the spring teas I didn't order last time. They should be here by weekend and I'm more excited about that than any of the tea mail set to arrive. It's just that amazing.

On a side note, thanks for the compliments on the leaf pics. I don't post fancy artistic photos like many do on IG. I just post regular pics of a session for folks who might just want to see a particular tea from start to finish.

Enjoy those teas, I'm sure I'll regret not signing up for the canisters in May but Chen's teas will more than suffice. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jul 27th 16 5:04 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th 12 12:12 pm
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by jayinhk » Jul 27th 16 5:04 am

Higher roast levels can be done well too, of course, but I haven't had a high roast from China that can hold a candle to what is available down here from the guys who've been offering that kind of tea for 70+ years. Some of the outfits here do have their roasting done on the Mainland, but I haven't seen that kind of tea available north of the border for whatever reason. I'm supposed to be in Fujian right now, but I am still in the process of moving into my new office. :( I may fly or train it up there if I can move before my paid return on the 2nd of August. Incentive to get moving quicker!

I haven't tried the Fushoushan yet, but let's see how good it is. I've had very good gaoshan through Origin Tea (before he started it) and from my own endeavors in Taipei, but this stuff is supposed to be the creme de la creme. The packaging is extremely official-looking, too--government containers.

I can see how you wouldn't want to settle for lesser teas after trying this dongding. I'll have to check out his other offerings, but I have enough perishable tea to get through in the next year that I really shouldn't buy anymore!

Your pics are great. I meant the leaves looked amazing rather than your pics, though. :D You definitely take better pics than I do!

User avatar
Jul 27th 16 6:15 am
Posts: 202
Joined: Feb 10th 14 1:01 am

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by CWarren » Jul 27th 16 6:15 am

jayinhk wrote:
Your pics are great. I meant the leaves looked amazing rather than your pics, though. :D You definitely take better pics than I do!
Lmao, you could have let me have my moment. Ha! The leaves are monsters in size, fully in tact and firm. Just amazing. Safe travels and hope you enjoy yourself. I always enjoy living vicariously via your IG trip photos.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Jul 27th 16 9:42 am
Posts: 2794
Joined: Oct 17th 08 1:01 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Fushoushan High Mountain (2600m) Oolong Group Buy - Interest Check

by Drax » Jul 27th 16 9:42 am

Thumbs up on the Dong Ding as well. I always get nervous when I get a roasted oolong, because you never know how the balance is going to be... but I really enjoyed the levels on this one.

I still remember the first roasted oolongs I tried... I thought the roast was the flavor, because it was that overpowering.

Will be curious to hear thoughts on the FuShouShan as well. I enjoyed it and had a great first session, but I got feedback from a colleague on him finding it flat.