Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

Tea or pot doesn't float your boat? Find it a new home here.


User avatar
Sep 14th, '16, 13:18
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by kyarazen » Sep 14th, '16, 13:18

Hi Guys,

we know that there were quite some members that did not get a chance to participate in the spring mass order, and also some whom had contacted me to see if they could procure any spare/left over tins. However due to the sought after nature of the tea, everything had been sold out.

that aside, we've received notification from the factory that autumn/winter tea is to be picked soon and may be available to the market before november. as I'm sneaking in some orders for my own communities, I'm just thinking if i should do another mass order on the Winter Fushoushan.

Image

you can refer to the spring tea MO post here for more info http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 35#p287549

price's the same on the MO, same shipping methods, and as usual, if you are interested please fill up the form so that we can start the pre-allocation. please do it soon as the factory may stop accepting orders in a weeks time.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

Sep 14th, '16, 13:59
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 8th, '16, 00:30

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by ricegeek » Sep 14th, '16, 13:59

Thanks for offering this again. I put my name down for a tin! Is there any noticeable difference in flavor/aroma between the spring and autumn harvest?

Sep 14th, '16, 18:32
Posts: 4
Joined: Dec 13th, '15, 01:53

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Teadharma » Sep 14th, '16, 18:32

Thanks for the opportunity Kyarazen

User avatar
Sep 14th, '16, 20:49
Posts: 2817
Joined: Oct 16th, '08, 21:01
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact: Drax

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Drax » Sep 14th, '16, 20:49

Awesome, thanks for doing this again! I think I'll sit out this round, though. Maybe next spring.

Sep 14th, '16, 23:02
Posts: 8
Joined: Sep 4th, '15, 15:27
Location: On a beautiful tea island

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by xabi » Sep 14th, '16, 23:02

Oh thank you for doing this again! I love this initiative!

Thanks a lot to charitative people like you, Kyarazen!

It is a relief there are such a good hearted people around.

The other day, I was in shock when I discovered that a middle man was selling
a competition grade black tea to Westerners for about 6 times the actual price in Taiwan.

I just happen to know because I managed to track down the farmer website,
and bought the time myself directly.

I am now enjoying a nice cup of it as a write this... :D

Oh, any one interested who can read Mandarin and is willing to order directly?
I will post the link here for the service to the community:

http://www.dsts.com.tw/

Cheers!

User avatar
Sep 14th, '16, 23:21
Posts: 4584
Joined: Apr 1st, '09, 00:48
Location: Bangkok

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Tead Off » Sep 14th, '16, 23:21

ricegeek wrote:Thanks for offering this again. I put my name down for a tin! Is there any noticeable difference in flavor/aroma between the spring and autumn harvest?
Not Autumn, but Winter harvest. Many Taiwan oolong drinkers prefer the Winter harvest as having more flavor than the Spring, which is usually noted for aroma. IME, both harvests can be very good with the edge going towards Winter.

User avatar
Sep 15th, '16, 10:04
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th, '10, 16:04
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact: debunix

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by debunix » Sep 15th, '16, 10:04

I have had both summer and winter teas from the same producer, and they are wonderful in slightly different ways.But having reviewed the contents of the tea trunk recently (a lot of tea!), and still being on my first canister of the Fushoushan, I will sit this one out. But I'd strongly recommend anyone who sat out the last round try this one without being afraid that the winter will be inferior to the spring: just *different*.

Sep 15th, '16, 11:33
Posts: 743
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Bok » Sep 15th, '16, 11:33

xabi wrote: The other day, I was in shock when I discovered that a middle man was selling
a competition grade black tea to Westerners for about 6 times the actual price in Taiwan.
And even if one lives in Taiwan, most farmers have a price for Taiwanese and another for anyone else asking...
I think it is safe to assume that Western-facing or -run shops will always be at least double the price of what u pay in Taiwan. Then you have Taipei which is on average triple of what the rest of the country pays for tea.

In the end it is a business...
Good prices need connections and some luck

Sep 16th, '16, 02:15
Vendor Member
Posts: 1310
Joined: May 27th, '12, 12:47
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by ethan » Sep 16th, '16, 02:15

Bok, Glad to see you writing which means you survived the typhoon okay. You don't need good connections or good luck for good prices if you have my good looks. Don't you agree? I agree that in my limited experience Taipei's tea prices seem high; however, Pinglin was the only place I found the best Donfang Meiren (Oriental Beauty). Is there anywhere else to buy the best of that?

Sep 16th, '16, 16:21
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 8th, '16, 00:30

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by ricegeek » Sep 16th, '16, 16:21

Tead Off wrote:
ricegeek wrote:Thanks for offering this again. I put my name down for a tin! Is there any noticeable difference in flavor/aroma between the spring and autumn harvest?
Not Autumn, but Winter harvest. Many Taiwan oolong drinkers prefer the Winter harvest as having more flavor than the Spring, which is usually noted for aroma. IME, both harvests can be very good with the edge going towards Winter.
Thanks for catching that. I think subconsciously I assume the picking seasons are spring and autumn, like some other tea regions in China, oops. So is the Taiwanese winter harvest period really in the winter, as in December/January, or even later, time?

I appreciate the note about winter teas as well. I am definitely looking forward to trying this out after reading everyone's review of the last batch.

Sep 16th, '16, 20:15
Posts: 743
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Bok » Sep 16th, '16, 20:15

ricegeek wrote:
Thanks for catching that. I think subconsciously I assume the picking seasons are spring and autumn, like some other tea regions in China, oops. So is the Taiwanese winter harvest period really in the winter, as in December/January, or even later, time?

I appreciate the note about winter teas as well. I am definitely looking forward to trying this out after reading everyone's review of the last batch.
There are two pickings in Taiwan which are called Winter harvest. First in November. Second harvest only happens if the conditions are right, this one is called Dong Pian, and has its own special flavour.

Gaoshan typically has only Spring and Winter, the lower elevated teas can be harvested more often. For me Winter is best, I often skip the spring harvest infavour of the more round and deep flavours of the Winter tea.

Sep 16th, '16, 20:19
Posts: 743
Joined: Aug 4th, '14, 05:43

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Bok » Sep 16th, '16, 20:19

ethan wrote:Bok, Glad to see you writing which means you survived the typhoon okay. You don't need good connections or good luck for good prices if you have my good looks. Don't you agree? I agree that in my limited experience Taipei's tea prices seem high; however, Pinglin was the only place I found the best Donfang Meiren (Oriental Beauty). Is there anywhere else to buy the best of that?
Thanks Ethan, first typhoon was mostly south, got another one heading north today. OB, Baozhong or TGY may be cheaper North as it is where they traditionally come from. although nowadays any tea variety can come from anywhere... or so it seems

Sep 18th, '16, 01:34
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 8th, '16, 00:30

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by ricegeek » Sep 18th, '16, 01:34

Bok wrote:
ricegeek wrote:
Thanks for catching that. I think subconsciously I assume the picking seasons are spring and autumn, like some other tea regions in China, oops. So is the Taiwanese winter harvest period really in the winter, as in December/January, or even later, time?

I appreciate the note about winter teas as well. I am definitely looking forward to trying this out after reading everyone's review of the last batch.
There are two pickings in Taiwan which are called Winter harvest. First in November. Second harvest only happens if the conditions are right, this one is called Dong Pian, and has its own special flavour.

Gaoshan typically has only Spring and Winter, the lower elevated teas can be harvested more often. For me Winter is best, I often skip the spring harvest infavour of the more round and deep flavours of the Winter tea.
Thanks for clarifying on the picking times and interesting notes about winter tea. I have heard similar for tieguanyin seasonal variations. More reasons to look forward to this group buy. *fingers crossed*

User avatar
Sep 18th, '16, 02:03
Posts: 4584
Joined: Apr 1st, '09, 00:48
Location: Bangkok

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by Tead Off » Sep 18th, '16, 02:03

ricegeek wrote:
Bok wrote:
ricegeek wrote:
Thanks for catching that. I think subconsciously I assume the picking seasons are spring and autumn, like some other tea regions in China, oops. So is the Taiwanese winter harvest period really in the winter, as in December/January, or even later, time?

I appreciate the note about winter teas as well. I am definitely looking forward to trying this out after reading everyone's review of the last batch.
There are two pickings in Taiwan which are called Winter harvest. First in November. Second harvest only happens if the conditions are right, this one is called Dong Pian, and has its own special flavour.

Gaoshan typically has only Spring and Winter, the lower elevated teas can be harvested more often. For me Winter is best, I often skip the spring harvest infavour of the more round and deep flavours of the Winter tea.
Thanks for clarifying on the picking times and interesting notes about winter tea. I have heard similar for tieguanyin seasonal variations. More reasons to look forward to this group buy. *fingers crossed*
Buying a winter harvest is no guarantee of satisfaction. I won't use the word quality because the growers will not vary in their farming and processing of the tea. What will transpire to create the quality in any given season, is the above plus a cooperating climate. The variation from one year to the next might be big. Sampling is always a better resort when possible to guarantee that any tea you buy will meet your expectations. Expecting exactly the same thing each year is unrealistic.

User avatar
Sep 18th, '16, 13:14
Posts: 1670
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13, 03:22
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Fu Shou Shan Winter Tea Interest Check

by kyarazen » Sep 18th, '16, 13:14

i'm actually quite reluctant to do it again as it was quite a logistic and communication nightmare to ensure that everyone got their order right. there were some blips in the previous order

it could be the last time i'm doing it here, as long as Chen can handle things on his own in due time to come. his english's atrocious still and i'm still helping with the translating once in a while >.<
xabi wrote:Oh thank you for doing this again! I love this initiative!

Thanks a lot to charitative people like you, Kyarazen!

It is a relief there are such a good hearted people around.

The other day, I was in shock when I discovered that a middle man was selling
a competition grade black tea to Westerners for about 6 times the actual price in Taiwan.

I just happen to know because I managed to track down the farmer website,
and bought the time myself directly.

I am now enjoying a nice cup of it as a write this... :D

Oh, any one interested who can read Mandarin and is willing to order directly?
I will post the link here for the service to the community:

http://www.dsts.com.tw/

Cheers!

+ Post Reply