New Business

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Mar 19th, '15, 01:39

New Business

by bittersweet3 » Mar 19th, '15, 01:39

Hello,

I plan on starting a service that is a monthly subscription to tea, What would you like to see (within reason) for price, quantity, and variety.

Mar 19th, '15, 02:21

Re: New Business

by bellmont » Mar 19th, '15, 02:21

Well, that really depends on who would buy your subscription...

To give you ideas that are "within reason" I need to know more about what your prior tea drinking experience has been and why you want to start a tea subscription.

For instance, my interest is in pu-erh. With multi-story tea markets that span several city blocks in China that cover just pu-erh and how the Chinese market is wrought with bad fakes...I frankly don't see someone having quality pu-erh unless they specialize in it. Additionally, because some are already doing pu-erh subscription services like White2tea and Yunnan Sourcing, you would have to offer something which one could not get from them... two big name western-facing vendors whose collections span hundreds of types of just pu-erh. Perhaps this is "within reason" for you... in which case I am intrigued.

I am also curious if you have been on sites like Steepster and seen what people are doing with subscription services already. Check out this recent discussion there:

http://steepster.com/discuss/6488-what- ... the-market

Their sites' discussion board is a much less rule-ladden than TeaChat's so tea subscription services and tea companies are on there promoting quite often.

Mar 19th, '15, 12:18
Mod/Admin
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 19th, '15, 12:18

... and TeaChat is more of a discussion on tea versus a neverending bombardment of ... commercials and false testimonials and highly skewed tea ratings. This was discussed in some detail a while ago. Just sayin' ...

Here, established members give reliable and trustworthy guidance.

Steepster obviously serves a genuine purpose as well, but you often have to weed through the bs to find it.

Mar 19th, '15, 14:05

by bellmont » Mar 19th, '15, 14:05

Chip wrote:... and TeaChat is more of a discussion on tea versus a neverending bombardment of ... commercials and false testimonials and highly skewed tea ratings. This was discussed in some detail a while ago. Just sayin' ...

Steepster obviously serves a genuine purpose as well, but you often have to weed through the bs to find it.

Truth. I don't like their commercialization either and tea subscriptions are discussed more often there too because of that...

Mar 19th, '15, 14:46
Mod/Admin

by Chip » Mar 19th, '15, 14:46

bellmont wrote:
Chip wrote:... and TeaChat is more of a discussion on tea versus a neverending bombardment of ... commercials and false testimonials and highly skewed tea ratings. This was discussed in some detail a while ago. Just sayin' ...

Truth. I don't like their commercialization either and tea subscriptions are discussed more often there too because of that...
In fact, steepster sent every member a series of emails promoting their own tea subscriptions ... to me, I found that ... offensive that they took everyone's personal profile info and used it to sell, sell, sell.

Mar 26th, '15, 07:20

by Drax » Mar 26th, '15, 07:20

Well, I suppose I could say nothing, but that might not help you.

Personally, I have very little interest in tea subscription services. If I want to try a tea, I buy it. And I have enough tea that I don't need help filling the shelves with tea that I won't drink.

Further complicating the question, I have no interest in tea subscription services from people or organizations with which I am unfamiliar. I would consider a subscription from one of the established vendors first.

Good luck!

+ Post Reply