Feb 2nd, '17, 12:08

Thoughts on two similar kyusu?

by manyfridays » Feb 2nd, '17, 12:08

Can I get your thoughts on these two?

http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.p ... ts_id/447/
https://www.sazentea.com/en/products/p6 ... kyusu.html

Anyone used these before? They look almost exactly the same. One major difference is the one from Hibiki-an has a steel mesh rather than the sasame-type filter from Sazen Tea. The one from Sazen has a more glossy appearance it seems.

Is one a copycat, if so, which one is the original?

One thing I'm looking for is how much tea drips from the spout. There's a review in Hibiki saying that there's no dripping:
http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_review ... ews_id/178

It is for this reason why I like using this glass teapot from Den's Tea. Very clean when pouring out the tea with no tea dripping down the spout.
http://www.denstea.com/teapots-cups-cha ... 5_548.html

Thanks for reading!

Feb 2nd, '17, 13:08

Re: Thoughts on two similar kyusu?

by pizzapotamus » Feb 2nd, '17, 13:08

It's just a common decoration technique, I'd not say either is a copy of the other. They're of quite different sizes, 240ml vs 360ml, so if you were between the two that would be my deciding factor. So for me it would be the smaller one, also while there is absolutely nothing wrong with a steel filter I do associate it with "cheap" pots. As for drips I own far too many kyusu and haven't had an issue with any of them so as long as the pot looks sensible, and they both do, I'd expect it to be fine.

Addendum, beyond the steel filter the ad copy on hibiki-an just rubs me the wrong way, laying it on way too thick. I'm not saying it can't be a perfectly fine teapot but I highly doubt the breathless claims of unparalleled excellence are warranted.

Feb 2nd, '17, 18:57

by victoria3 » Feb 2nd, '17, 18:57

+1
I have one kyusu with steel mesh filter from Den's 10$. Nothing wrong with it being my lowest end pot, although it also doesn't elevate the experience either. None of my kyusu drip so... 360ml seems very large, the biggest size I use is 260ml with multiple steeps. Hario makes a good glass pot, if that's what you want.
Here is a Tokoname I own by Gyokuryu similar to your links- it is very, very fine and beautifully made with thin walls and a fine ceramic sasame filter, good at holding back fukamushi and other small leaves... I see it is both on Etsy and Amazon.!! Everyone who handles this kyusu wants it because it is so well made, smooth as silk, and light as a feather.
Artistic Nippon and Hojo have great selections of kyusu made by contemporary craftsmen also.
Attachments
Zencha-Kagoshima-Sencha-Super-Premium1.jpg
Zencha-Kagoshima-Sencha-Super-Premium1.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

Feb 3rd, '17, 01:37
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 3rd, '17, 01:37

pizzapotamus wrote: I highly doubt the breathless claims of unparalleled excellence are warranted.
:lol: that was hilarious to me

Feb 3rd, '17, 08:26

by JRS22 » Feb 3rd, '17, 08:26

Consider Artistic Nippon as mentioned by Victoria3. They carry some reasonably priced Kyusu in various sizes that are very well made. Those two that you're considering are large for one person. If you're drinking a good quality Japanese green that can be resteeped several times you're going to end up with a LOT of tea with those pots.

Feb 3rd, '17, 11:13

by pedant » Feb 3rd, '17, 11:13

i think it's interesting that both product pages advocate cleaning with detergent.
i would never let anything but tea, water, or baking soda hit my unglazed tea wares..

Feb 3rd, '17, 14:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 3rd, '17, 14:16

I have a similar Hibiki-An kyusu in 360ml (left handed), but with a sesame filter. Very thin and light for sure, but I've managed to chip the spout and crack the inner rim in a few places when I dropped the lid on the kyusu. IMO a larger kyusu is still fine for one user; just measure water volume in your cup first, and only put enough tea into the kyusu for one person, and then pour in one cup worth of water for each infusion. The larger kyusu will cool down the water more than a smaller kyusu, I guess. I don't have a water cooler, so I use a gongfucha pitcher when I brew sencha. Cup ---> pitcher ---> kyusu. It works well and gets my water to the temperature I want. I'm very happy with the kyusu I bought from Hibiki-An.

Feb 3rd, '17, 18:08

by manyfridays » Feb 3rd, '17, 18:08

Thanks everyone!

Feb 19th, '17, 02:09

by jemjs » Feb 19th, '17, 02:09

pizzapotamus wrote:
Addendum, beyond the steel filter the ad copy on hibiki-an just rubs me the wrong way, laying it on way too thick. I'm not saying it can't be a perfectly fine teapot but I highly doubt the breathless claims of unparalleled excellence are warranted.
Agree 100%. I feel the same way about hibiki-an in general. All the descriptions are glossy ads and, as mentioned many times on this forum, all the reviews are glowing. The owner does not allow anything less to be posted.

I am new to kyusu teapots. In fact, today was the first time I handled one. Love at first sight. Searching for a left-handed one and though the price on that website seems reasonable, i am really not comfortable with all 5-star reviews. Not sure the information can be trusted.
I would feel better knowing that people on this forum bought these teapots and are happy with them. Thanks guys.

Feb 19th, '17, 02:13

by jemjs » Feb 19th, '17, 02:13

jayinhk wrote: I have a similar Hibiki-An kyusu in 360ml (left handed), but with a sesame filter. Very thin and light for sure, but I've managed to chip the spout and crack the inner rim in a few places when I dropped the lid on the kyusu. IMO a larger kyusu is still fine for one user; just measure water volume in your cup first, and only put enough tea into the kyusu for one person, and then pour in one cup worth of water for each infusion. The larger kyusu will cool down the water more than a smaller kyusu, I guess. I don't have a water cooler, so I use a gongfucha pitcher when I brew sencha. Cup ---> pitcher ---> kyusu. It works well and gets my water to the temperature I want. I'm very happy with the kyusu I bought from Hibiki-An.
Thank you for your vote of confidence

Feb 19th, '17, 08:42

by chingwa » Feb 19th, '17, 08:42

I owned the Hohryu kyusu from Hibiki-an for years and years. Despite the metal filter, it is a great beginner kyusu. Well made, and very nicely balanced. Never had a problem with pouring. Unfortunately it broke into 50 pieces after I accidentally dropped it onto a stone tile floor. I was sad.

It is a 'little' bit big compared to the one-serving pots I use now, so would not go that direction again, personally. But if you want a fairly cheap beginner pot for various uses I say go for it. :)

+ Post Reply