How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Nov 9th, '16, 19:36

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by pedant » Nov 9th, '16, 19:36

nothing new in 3 months?

someone buy something!!

Nov 10th, '16, 01:21

by yalokinh » Nov 10th, '16, 01:21

pedant wrote:nothing new in 3 months?

someone buy something!!
Don't know if it's because I've been inactive for a while, but I remember teachat being busier, or is it just me?

Nov 10th, '16, 03:17

by Alex » Nov 10th, '16, 03:17

It seemed to drop off big time after they re-did the website. I know I've been on far far less since. Also buying less stuff so maybe it's a good thing for me :mrgreen:

Nov 10th, '16, 19:13

by pizzapotamus » Nov 10th, '16, 19:13

Speaking of Hokujo... picked up this for my birthday. 230ml, ball filter rather than his normal sasame and at least for the asamushi teas I'm brewing currently it's all the better for it. Seems like it should do okay with deeper steamed teas as well but we'll see. Rougher clay in appearance but it's still reasonably thin, at most only fractionally thicker than my more normal Hokujo pot.

I've given up on nice weather so it could be photographed in the sun
Attachments
hokujo1.jpg
hokujo1.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 2416 times

Nov 10th, '16, 23:52

by pedant » Nov 10th, '16, 23:52

very nice :shock:

Nov 11th, '16, 02:49

by kyarazen » Nov 11th, '16, 02:49

pizzapotamus wrote:Speaking of Hokujo... picked up this for my birthday. 230ml, ball filter rather than his normal sasame and at least for the asamushi teas I'm brewing currently it's all the better for it. Seems like it should do okay with deeper steamed teas as well but we'll see. Rougher clay in appearance but it's still reasonably thin, at most only fractionally thicker than my more normal Hokujo pot.

I've given up on nice weather so it could be photographed in the sun
nanban style... $$$!!.....

Jan 11th, '17, 15:48

by pizzapotamus » Jan 11th, '17, 15:48

Gisui mogake teapot picked up from Ferg via teaswap. Wouldn't want to make a definitive claim but I believe it's his older natural clay? Has a great pour for a Gisui as very few of the holes are blocked by the spout, at most it's just the bottom row(I can't see that they're clear but it could just be the spout is quite near without actually closing it off). The largest splotch of mogake has a lot going on and is tricky to photograph, in the lighter coloured sections it's done a more complete glassy glaze including some crazing and even dripped down for the dark spot.
Attachments
mokage1.jpg
mokage1.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
mogake2.jpg
mogake2.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 1730 times

Jan 11th, '17, 21:19

by Ferg » Jan 11th, '17, 21:19

Lovely pictures of the Gisui pizza! 8) I like the pot sitting atop the wood with snow in background. Looks like you were able to get some nice light shots with this brief reprieve in the weather. Definitely accentuates the mogake, which appears splashed across the pot. Thanks for the share.

Jan 13th, '17, 00:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 13th, '17, 00:30

Depending on how I look at that pattern, I see Scandinavia, mainland Southeast Asia and Indonesia. :D

I just got this very simple kyusu. My first right handed kyusu and it's actually quite usable, even for a lefty. Just tried some Vietnamese high mountain green tea (from older assamica trees...yummy) and the clay did a lovely job of bringing out the aroma. I bought this specifically because I was curious about the clay's performance, and I'm pleasantly surprised for sure. Caught a sale, so I got it for a pretty fair price I feel.

http://www.tokyo-matcha-selection.com/c ... amic-mesh/

Feb 19th, '17, 02:33

by jemjs » Feb 19th, '17, 02:33

jayinhk wrote: Depending on how I look at that pattern, I see Scandinavia, mainland Southeast Asia and Indonesia. :D

I just got this very simple kyusu. My first right handed kyusu and it's actually quite usable, even for a lefty. Just tried some Vietnamese high mountain green tea (from older assamica trees...yummy) and the clay did a lovely job of bringing out the aroma. I bought this specifically because I was curious about the clay's performance, and I'm pleasantly surprised for sure. Caught a sale, so I got it for a pretty fair price I feel.

As a lefty, do you find you need to use both hands when using this right-handed kyusu? Their website, and I quote, says: "For someone who is left-handed, ladies or children, please make sure to use both hands." Is it possible they consider us lefties weaker beings? :roll: Or does one really needs to use both hands to secure the teapot?

Feb 19th, '17, 09:01
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 19th, '17, 09:01

jemjs wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Depending on how I look at that pattern, I see Scandinavia, mainland Southeast Asia and Indonesia. :D

As a lefty, do you find you need to use both hands when using this right-handed kyusu? Their website, and I quote, says: "For someone who is left-handed, ladies or children, please make sure to use both hands." Is it possible they consider us lefties weaker beings? :roll: Or does one really needs to use both hands to secure the teapot?
Depends how good you are with your right hand! It does feel a little unnatural pouring with the right and I think I might have held the lid down with my left.

Mar 11th, '17, 22:14

by Ferg » Mar 11th, '17, 22:14

Saw this kyusu...and just couldn't resist. It's my first Hokujo and I think I'm in love. Light as air, a beauty to behold, and above all a stellar performer. Clocking in at 200ml, my ideal size for sencha.
Hokujo 3.jpg
A little light does such nice things.
Hokujo 2.jpg

Mar 22nd, '17, 16:27

by hopeofdawn » Mar 22nd, '17, 16:27

Ferg wrote: A little light does such nice things.

Hokujo 2.jpg
Beautiful pot!

Mar 22nd, '17, 22:21

by Ferg » Mar 22nd, '17, 22:21

hopeofdawn wrote:
Ferg wrote: A little light does such nice things.

Hokujo 2.jpg
Beautiful pot!
Thank you! I am still surprised at its lightness. All other kyusu owned are heavy things in comparison. But in watching the Hukujo video on youtube and based on people's testimony here, I know that his clay is very durable. It's paired nicely with Fuka, but I may give it a whirl with Asa soon.

Apr 23rd, '17, 16:11

by victoria3 » Apr 23rd, '17, 16:11

Here are a few more ferg:
I have a growing collection of Shimizu Genji (Hokujo 3rd generation) teaware that I love using for roasted oolongs. He is from the Hokujo kiln in Tokoname so is commonly referred to simply as Hokujo. His dense pots are made of natural unprocessed high fired unglazed stoneware, Yakishime. Breaking with tradition he introduced this new type of clay to Tokoname's lineup. The clay is high in iron oxide, oxide reacts with tannins smoothing out tannic bitterness. The high quality clay used is somewhat porous, bringing out aromatics while maintaining the body of tea. The pots are hand thrown, dense but lightweight with relatively thin walls. I believe they are reduction fired, though the pots are not blackened from carbon. I find reduction firing brings out aroma and aftertaste. The pour is perfect and lid is an exact fit... a delight to handle
Chen's Roasted DongDing w Hokujo set wht_1sm.jpg
Chen's Roasted DongDing w Hokujo set wht_1sm.jpg (79.34 KiB) Viewed 1294 times

+ Post Reply