Jan 10th, '17, 08:45

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Jelopascua » Jan 10th, '17, 08:45

Hi i have purchased some pots from a thrift shop and would like to know if these are yixing pots
https://goo.gl/photos/YTvtsRf35kaTLexU8

Feb 17th, '17, 09:15

by CheekyChipmunk » Feb 17th, '17, 09:15

Hi Chatters,

Here is one that I think is quite different that I picked up recently. I'm not sure if the photos show the shape properly but it is a very flat xu bian type shape.

- Clay type: I'm not too sure about this one, I'm hoping one of you might be able to help with this! From the photos you can see that it appears a top layer of hongni has been applied over the base clay, which looks to me like pin zini (i could be completely wrong). Either way it contains large sesame flecks which is one of the things that drew me to purchase it the most.
Size of pot: Approx. 160ml
What year/decade the pot was made: Again unsure, but my guess is probably 90's?
Wall thickness: Medium to thin walls
How long is the pour? Approx. 12 secs. Has a 9-hole horizontal diamond filter
Where you acquired the pot? A newly found tea store around the corner from me!
Tea Pairing? TBD. The pot has been prepared (boiled) bot not used to brew tea yet. I acquired the pot with the hopes that it will pair well with dan cong. Such hopes are centred mainly around the shape and wall thickness of the pot and info I have read about the best way to brew dan cong. I must admit that I have only tried a very small amount of dan cong and have been a bit intimidated about brewing it as it seems it is the most fiddly tea to brew well. Hopefully this pot will change that!
Attachments
IMG_6469.JPG
IMG_6469.JPG (49.42 KiB) Viewed 645 times
IMG_5350.JPG
IMG_5350.JPG (48.42 KiB) Viewed 645 times
IMG_5038.JPG
IMG_5038.JPG (29.72 KiB) Viewed 645 times

Feb 17th, '17, 20:21

by tingjunkie » Feb 17th, '17, 20:21

Looks like modern zhu ni blended with duan ni. You can tell by the shrinkage lines throughout. The purple coloration around the rim is more likely from the abrasive powder they use these days to grind the lid and rim for a better fit (my guess anyway). Finding a Yixing teapot for dancong is probably the hardest task for Yixing lovers, and most people usually prefer a thin gaiwan in the end.

Feb 18th, '17, 04:48

by theredbaron » Feb 18th, '17, 04:48

tingjunkie wrote: Finding a Yixing teapot for dancong is probably the hardest task for Yixing lovers, and most people usually prefer a thin gaiwan in the end.

Use a Chaozhou pot instead for dancong

Feb 18th, '17, 09:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 18th, '17, 09:26

theredbaron wrote:
tingjunkie wrote: Finding a Yixing teapot for dancong is probably the hardest task for Yixing lovers, and most people usually prefer a thin gaiwan in the end.

I would agree 100% unless it is was very high grade dancong; in which case, I'd brew in hongni/modern zhuni/porcelain

Feb 18th, '17, 11:13

by CheekyChipmunk » Feb 18th, '17, 11:13

jayinhk wrote:
theredbaron wrote:

I would agree 100% unless it is was very high grade dancong; in which case, I'd brew in hongni/modern zhuni/porcelain
I have a Chaozhou but I'm not enamoured by what it does to oolongs (somewhat mutes the flavour and brings the taste low in the mouth). I guess I could look around for another but I wouldn't know where to start! Luckily I do have a fine quality, very thin porcelain gaiwan so if worse comes to worse I can use that...

Thanks for the info on my other pot Ting, nice to know my own guesses weren't too far off the mark!

Feb 18th, '17, 12:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 18th, '17, 12:22

CheekyChipmunk wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
theredbaron wrote:

I have a Chaozhou but I'm not enamoured by what it does to oolongs (somewhat mutes the flavour and brings the taste low in the mouth). I guess I could look around for another but I wouldn't know where to start! Luckily I do have a fine quality, very thin porcelain gaiwan so if worse comes to worse I can use that...

Thanks for the info on my other pot Ting, nice to know my own guesses weren't too far off the mark!
Where did you get your CZ pot?

Feb 18th, '17, 12:23

by theredbaron » Feb 18th, '17, 12:23

CheekyChipmunk wrote:

I would not use a Chaozhou pot for anything other than Dancong. But for Dancong it's really suitable clay.
Here a Chaozhou pot i recently bought, and found it very good:
http://www.bitterleafteas.com/shop/teaw ... -hu-teapot

Feb 18th, '17, 12:59

by CheekyChipmunk » Feb 18th, '17, 12:59

jayinhk wrote:
CheekyChipmunk wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
theredbaron wrote:

Where did you get your CZ pot?
I got my pot from a temporary Chinese furniture store in the Chinatown of the city I live in. I can hear the 'no wonder's :lol: but I also got what I believe is a good quality older yixing preloved from the same store. I got the CZ for quite cheap but I believe the clay/firing is decent as it has quite a high pitched bell tone when struck and the clay has quite a sheen to it. But I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of CZ pottery is next to nothing...

Feb 18th, '17, 13:02

by CheekyChipmunk » Feb 18th, '17, 13:02

theredbaron wrote:
CheekyChipmunk wrote:

I would not use a Chaozhou pot for anything other than Dancong. But for Dancong it's really suitable clay.
Great, thanks for the lead redbaron! I have other teaware on my list to investigate but I like the look of this little beauty so will most probably put in my own order soon...

Feb 18th, '17, 13:59

by tingjunkie » Feb 18th, '17, 13:59

theredbaron wrote: I would not use a Chaozhou pot for anything other than Dancong. But for Dancong it's really suitable clay.
I just found a Qing era Chaozhou pot that works great for aged yancha and traditional roast Chaozhou oolong. It would probably be awful with dancong though. Like Yixing, lots of variation among CZ pots out there.

Feb 19th, '17, 01:25
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 19th, '17, 01:25

I've heard from a few different people that CZ pots do very well with pu erh as well, but I have yet to try it. I believe they would indeed make good pu erh pots.

Feb 22nd, '17, 02:14

by bagua7 » Feb 22nd, '17, 02:14

theredbaron wrote:Here a Chaozhou pot i recently bought, and found it very good:
Lovely pot (pity about the small size, I prefer pots above 100mL) and nice little tea site. I hope they do well. Love their creativity. :)

Feb 22nd, '17, 02:16

by bagua7 » Feb 22nd, '17, 02:16

jayinhk wrote: I've heard from a few different people that CZ pots do very well with pu erh as well, but I have yet to try it. I believe they would indeed make good pu erh pots.
They do. My teacher, an HK expat living in Brisbane, often brewed his puerhs in CZ pots. I did for some time but one problem I found, they cool off a lot faster than YX, so I ended up giving up. Love my tea hot. ;)

Feb 22nd, '17, 22:48

by wei301 » Feb 22nd, '17, 22:48

theredbaron wrote: I have a Chaozhou but I'm not enamoured by what it does to oolongs
I have just bought the same Chaozhou teapot after reading your comment. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. :)

+ Post Reply