Feb 23rd, '17, 14:45

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by theredbaron » Feb 23rd, '17, 14:45

wei301 wrote:

I have just bought the same Chaozhou teapot after reading your comment. Hopefully I won't be disappointed. :)

I am sure you won't be. I wasn't :)
Here's a little post on it i did after i got it: https://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21749

Feb 26th, '17, 18:08

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:08

Been a while since I posted any new finds. I'm at the stage of my Yixing collecting where I really don't need any more commercial grade pots, but I occasionally find them for really cheap prices and can't help but snag them. Too hard to pass up a great bargain! Might be time to thin out the collection, actually.

Rescued these from a hidden drawer somewhere in an Honolulu Chinatown shop. I'd actually really appreciate more info on these pots from the experts. The texture of the sandy hong ni, and design of the knob and handle make me think they could be 90's, but the chop makes me think more recent than that. 110ml. Any ideas?

Last edited by tingjunkie on Feb 26th, '17, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

Feb 26th, '17, 18:12

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:12

More pics of Chinatown pots...

Feb 26th, '17, 18:20

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:20

Snagged this one online. 100ml. Good quality hong ni. Well fired. Not sure about the age of this one either, but I'd guess more modern? Originally there was a clay ball filter inside, but it looks like it had fallen off in the past, and the previous owner had tried to glue it back in place. It fell back off, and I started to sand the glue residue away. Still a little more to do.

Feb 26th, '17, 18:27

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:27

Another online score. Really nice quality pin zi ni (or maybe qing shui ni?). Already taking a patina quickly after a few uses. 90ml.

Feb 26th, '17, 18:34

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:34

Perhaps my best find lately! Found at an antique shop on Kauai being sold as a "Japanese soy sauce dispenser." Luckily, no soy sauce has ever touched it! :lol:

Looks like Factory 1 to me, but could just be a nice repro. 90ml. Unfortunately it does have a small hairline crack in the rim, but I doubt it will ever spread. If I ever find someone who can do the gold staple thing, might be wort it just for the cool look.

Small crack.

Feb 26th, '17, 18:38

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:38

More pics of possible F1...

Feb 26th, '17, 18:44

by tingjunkie » Feb 26th, '17, 18:44

Not Yixing, but just for fun, here's a Qing era 75ml Chaozhou teapot snagged online recently...

Feb 26th, '17, 23:53

by steanze » Feb 26th, '17, 23:53

Nice pots tingjunkie! The xian piao would look great with the staple repair. Without kintsugi or stapling the crack could spread if you use the pot, so I would not use it often until you can have it repaired.

I have a fellow xian piao with staple repair :) Image

Feb 27th, '17, 01:00

by tingjunkie » Feb 27th, '17, 01:00

Thanks steanze! LOVE the staple repairs. Did you buy it that way, or have it done? Any connections for an artisan who can do the repair?

Feb 27th, '17, 02:49

by ricegeek » Feb 27th, '17, 02:49

Nice finds! Especially the F1 xian piao! I visit Honolulu at least once a year, and found Chinatown there to be pretty touristy, which has been disappointing since it got such long history. Good to know treasures can be had, just means I will have to spend more time hunting around.

Mar 8th, '17, 12:13

by CheekyChipmunk » Mar 8th, '17, 12:13

Hey Chatters,

So I know it is a bit unusual to put cups up on this thread but I am quite taken by a recent purchase from eBay. Their capacity is around 60ml, with their origin advertised as 80's factory 1 origin, and whether they actually are or not, the quality of craftsmanship and the clay makes them some the favourite cups I own. I bought them used and they arrived with quite a nice patina which made them look strikingly like old pieces of bamboo, something which I have a feeling the artist intended when constructing the cups. The cups themselves are covered in intricate details reminiscent of bamboo plants, and the overall impression is that of an experienced artist working with a confident hand. Also of interest is that the chop appears on the side of the cup rather than the bottom.

I thoroughly cleaned the cups of the patina (which I know some of you will be exclaiming in dismay at!) by soaking them in diluted bleach before boiling. I did this for two main reasons:

1. I wanted to get a clearer idea of the nature of the raw clay.

2. While the patina was already well established, I feel like raising the patina yourself makes the cups seem more your own, with elements of all your previous sessions alive in the cup. Having someone else history in the cups doesn't sit so well with me.

I hope you enjoy the pics!
Attachments
IMG_7590.JPG
IMG_7590.JPG (31.81 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG (22.54 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1289.JPG (33.4 KiB) Viewed 735 times

Mar 9th, '17, 00:23

by Tead Off » Mar 9th, '17, 00:23

Cheeky,

In my F1 book, which is pretty extensive, I don't see anything like these cups illustrated there. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is not F1 as I can't vouch for the completeness of any of the F1 books or catalogs.

The clay looks good. I wonder how comfortable drinking tea would be from these due to the thickness of the cups. But as examples of Yixing clay, they are interesting. I also think that it's perfectly acceptable to clean a patina off, but a good patina takes a lot of time to develop on the exterior. Cleaning or sterilizing the interior space is much more preferable unless there is an unaesthetic aspect to the existing patina like dirt of deep staining is select areas.

In any case, enjoy the cups........

Mar 9th, '17, 00:50

by CheekyChipmunk » Mar 9th, '17, 00:50

Tead Off wrote: Cheeky,

In my F1 book, which is pretty extensive, I don't see anything like these cups illustrated there. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is not F1 as I can't vouch for the completeness of any of the F1 books or catalogs.

The clay looks good. I wonder how comfortable drinking tea would be from these due to the thickness of the cups. But as examples of Yixing clay, they are interesting. I also think that it's perfectly acceptable to clean a patina off, but a good patina takes a lot of time to develop on the exterior. Cleaning or sterilizing the interior space is much more preferable unless there is an unaesthetic aspect to the existing patina like dirt of deep staining is select areas.

Thanks for the info Tead!

I especially thank you for looking through your catalogues on my behalf. It would have been nice to have the origin confirmed but I have learned to take all claims made by pretty much all vendors with a healthy grain of salt when it comes to Yixing (I mean no offense to yourself being a vendor member on this forum, in fact your candour on the matter is highly refreshing and very appreciated).

As for the size, they are indeed quite heavy in the hand, I imagined them being smaller than they ended up being but I imagine once hot they would stay so for a decent amount of time. Perhaps they present themselves as being especially suited for use in colder months?!

As for the patina, I confess that I did hesitate removing the exterior patina as I really enjoyed it's effect on the highly textured exterior of the cups. However I consider growing the patina as part of the fun so I will just be patient and perhaps treat the lack of a patina as an excuse to use them more often!

Cheers,

CC

Mar 9th, '17, 02:42

by Tead Off » Mar 9th, '17, 02:42

CheekyChipmunk wrote:
Tead Off wrote: Cheeky,

Thanks for the info Tead!

I especially thank you for looking through your catalogues on my behalf. It would have been nice to have the origin confirmed but I have learned to take all claims made by pretty much all vendors with a healthy grain of salt when it comes to Yixing (I mean no offense to yourself being a vendor member on this forum, in fact your candour on the matter is highly refreshing and very appreciated).

As for the size, they are indeed quite heavy in the hand, I imagined them being smaller than they ended up being but I imagine once hot they would stay so for a decent amount of time. Perhaps they present themselves as being especially suited for use in colder months?!

As for the patina, I confess that I did hesitate removing the exterior patina as I really enjoyed it's effect on the highly textured exterior of the cups. However I consider growing the patina as part of the fun so I will just be patient and perhaps treat the lack of a patina as an excuse to use them more often!

Cheers,

CC
I don't know why a potter would make cups that thick. Perhaps there is a chance they are not cups but something else? Doesn't seem likely, though. I would imagine very few tea drinkers would buy cups that thick.

+ Post Reply