Aug 16th, '11, 16:31
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Herb_Master » Aug 16th, '11, 16:31

MarshalN wrote:Since this is explicitly a Yixing show off topic...

http://www.marshaln.com/2011/08/a-full-accounting/
Excellent.

I don't know whether to feel guilty :oops: or proud :D when some teachatters come out with comments like "you only need a gaiwan and 1 or 2 yixing"

I wonder how many teachatters will come clean and admit to having over 10, over 50 or over 100 teapots :lol:

Aug 16th, '11, 19:02

by tingjunkie » Aug 16th, '11, 19:02

MarshalN wrote:Since this is explicitly a Yixing show off topic...

http://www.marshaln.com/2011/08/a-full-accounting/
Wow. And it doesn't look like too many clunkers mixed in at all. :D Glad you posted this, I was starting to feel guilty about my 20+ pots. I can honestly say, all of mine are paired with certain teas and get used fairly regularly. Some more than others of course!

Aug 16th, '11, 21:28

by debunix » Aug 16th, '11, 21:28

Herb_Master wrote:I wonder how many teachatters will come clean and admit to having over 10, over 50 or over 100 teapots :lol:
up to about 20 teapots now, the bulk of those inexpensive simple yixings, and let's not count the dozen or two gaiwans distributed in the several places I brew tea (because some of those are duplicates used only for comparative tastings).....and a couple of alternative brewing devices here and there (Kamjoves).....

While one gaiwan can suffice to brew a wide variety of teas, teaware lust is hard to satisfy with just one piece. I can brew anything in a gaiwan, but I don't always want to!

Aug 16th, '11, 21:32
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Aug 16th, '11, 21:32

debunix wrote:
While one gaiwan can suffice to brew a wide variety of teas, teaware lust is hard to satisfy with just one piece. I can brew anything in a gaiwan, but I don't always want to!
:lol: I like

Aug 16th, '11, 21:34
Vendor Member

by IPT » Aug 16th, '11, 21:34

Herb_Master wrote:I wonder how many teachatters will come clean and admit to having over 10, over 50 or over 100 teapots :lol:
I will come clean. I definitely have over 100 zisha teapots in my personal collection.

Aug 16th, '11, 22:52

by tingjunkie » Aug 16th, '11, 22:52

I have a degree in psychology, and I still can't figure out why so many men (much more often than women in my experience) get addicted to collecting dainty little teapots. :lol: What would Freud say? Are they little wombs? Male or female genitals? ...maybe best not to think about it too much. :P

Aug 16th, '11, 23:01

by Tead Off » Aug 16th, '11, 23:01

I am NOT a collector and I own 11 Yixing and Chao Zhou pots. :D
Freud was a Fraud.

Aug 16th, '11, 23:48

by tingjunkie » Aug 16th, '11, 23:48

Tead Off wrote:I am NOT a collector and I own 11 Yixing and Chao Zhou pots. :D
Freud was a Fraud.
A little defensive there Tead. I think your subconscious is getting in your way. :wink:

Freud contributed a lot to modern psychology, even though we've luckily moved past many of his ideas. Cocaine user perhaps, but not a fraud. :) I'll take a Jungian, or Ericksonian view of it if you prefer. Either way, the phenomena begs some psychological analysis. :D

Aug 17th, '11, 09:58

by JRS22 » Aug 17th, '11, 09:58

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a collection of little tea pots makes better tea than just one, large or small.

Aug 17th, '11, 10:26
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 17th, '11, 10:26

JRS22 wrote:Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a collection of little tea pots makes better tea than just one, large or small.
I am sorry that I can not agree with your cigar statement JRS22... since aging cigar is my first love :lol:

Zino Davidoff (1906-1994), founder of Davidoff Cigars:
"Smoke less, but smoke more expensively."

"A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke."

Collect less, but collect the best. So we don't have to teaswap it too often.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rNl5VRNLz_s/R ... G_4473.JPG
Last edited by TIM on Aug 17th, '11, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 17th, '11, 10:51

by hopeofdawn » Aug 17th, '11, 10:51

TIM wrote:Collect less, but collect the best. So we don't have to teaswap it to often.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rNl5VRNLz_s/R ... G_4473.JPG

And that is a gorgeous collection!

Aug 17th, '11, 11:31

by JRS22 » Aug 17th, '11, 11:31

TIM wrote:
JRS22 wrote:Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a collection of little tea pots makes better tea than just one, large or small.
I am sorry that I can not agree with your cigar statement JRS22... since aging cigar is my first love
You misunderstood the cigar reference - or maybe you didn't...

Taken from an online quote reference ""Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" is attributed to Sigmund Freud. But there is no evidence that he actually said it. It means that sometimes a cigar is what it is and not a phallic symbol."

Aug 17th, '11, 12:19

by Tead Off » Aug 17th, '11, 12:19

JRS22 wrote:
TIM wrote:
I am sorry that I can not agree with your cigar statement JRS22... since aging cigar is my first love

Taken from an online quote reference ""Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" is attributed to Sigmund Freud. But there is no evidence that he actually said it. It means that sometimes a cigar is what it is and not a phallic symbol."
That one definitely went right past him. In fact, a cigar is always a cigar, but, a woman is so much more than a woman. :D You can quote me on that.

Aug 17th, '11, 12:53
Vendor Member

by TIM » Aug 17th, '11, 12:53

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
TIM wrote:

That one definitely went right past him. In fact, a cigar is always a cigar, but, a woman is so much more than a woman. :D You can quote me on that.
Just thought we are on parallel ground on our previous reconciliation. Yet the dark matter reappears.... A cigar is just another cigar to you, and tea is just tea, i assume :wink:

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/201 ... eaven.html

Aug 17th, '11, 18:44

by tingjunkie » Aug 17th, '11, 18:44

All I'm saying is this...

We all know that tea culture has historically been very male-dominated in China and most of Asia, so it makes sense. In the West however, collecting tiny teapots would be viewed by most people as an extremely "girly" and feminine interest. Looking at TeaChat, and from my own experience, I think the number of male Westerners who are into Yixing pots, is significantly higher than the number of females. So, why is that? Are men just more into collecting by nature? Are men more apt to get online to discuss such things than women are? Do firing temps and clay composition appeal to our scientific nature? Maybe all of the above, but I think there is something psychological going on under the surface too. Just saying.

+ Post Reply