User avatar
Apr 12th, '17, 09:52
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mar 22nd, '08
Location: Shanghai

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by chrl42 » Apr 12th, '17, 09:52

William wrote: Bought this cutie back in December, perfect porous clay for problematic teas, e.g. most of the aged puerh out there.

Zini, ROC period.

Image
Looks like a lovely back-from-Japan small teapot...good find!

User avatar
Apr 12th, '17, 14:48
Posts: 1117
Joined: Jul 10th, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by William » Apr 12th, '17, 14:48

chrl42 wrote: Looks like a lovely back-from-Japan small teapot...good find!
Thanks Chrl! :D

Apr 12th, '17, 21:47
Posts: 645
Joined: Feb 12th, '10
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by steanze » Apr 12th, '17, 21:47

William wrote: Bought this cutie back in December, perfect porous clay for problematic teas, e.g. most of the aged puerh out there.

Zini, ROC period.

Image
Nice pot!!

User avatar
Apr 13th, '17, 06:13
Posts: 1117
Joined: Jul 10th, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Japan.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by William » Apr 13th, '17, 06:13

steanze wrote: Nice pot!!
Thanks Ste! :wink:

User avatar
Apr 21st, '17, 13:37
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 25th, '17

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by williammimi70 » Apr 21st, '17, 13:37

tingjunkie wrote: How odd. The side view and front view make it look like two different pots.

Wait... that IS two different pots, right???
these are the photos of one of the pots
Attachments
IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG (57.71 KiB) Viewed 332 times
IMG_0907.PNG
IMG_0907.PNG (48.05 KiB) Viewed 332 times
IMG_0908.PNG
IMG_0908.PNG (47.42 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Apr 24th, '17, 23:47
Posts: 645
Joined: Feb 12th, '10
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by steanze » Apr 24th, '17, 23:47

williammimi70 wrote: these are the photos of one of the pots
This is a modern replica of a late Qing pot.

User avatar
Apr 25th, '17, 02:13
Posts: 286
Joined: Mar 25th, '17

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by williammimi70 » Apr 25th, '17, 02:13

steanze wrote:
williammimi70 wrote: these are the photos of one of the pots
This is a modern replica of a late Qing pot.
thank you
I was told by the seller that it is a modern teapot copying the older pot of the Qing dynasty as you said

User avatar
May 4th, '17, 21:45
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 15th, '13

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Lion » May 4th, '17, 21:45

Anyone know what clay type this is? I received it as a gift from a tea friend. If it looks yellow here, it's bad lighting. It's more of a tan or dark beige color with some grayish and whitish flecks. Is this "white clay"?

Also, would appreciate any recommendations for tea type. My experience with Yixing pots is limited. It seems medium high fired. It has a nice "ding" but not really high pitched and glassy like really high fired ones. Definitely not the "clunk" of some of the low-fired ones I've used. Probably about a medium wall thickness. Sort of rough texture.

I'm in love with its shape. I was considering it for use with Sheng.
Attachments
_MG_0781a.jpg
_MG_0781a.jpg (214.66 KiB) Viewed 204 times

User avatar
May 4th, '17, 22:13
Posts: 1728
Joined: Jul 8th, '09
Location: Maui

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by tingjunkie » May 4th, '17, 22:13

Definitely duan ni. Bai ni (white clay) looks more light grey/white than that. Duan ni is generally a more porous clay, and even higher fired duan ni still won't ring like high fired hong ni or zhu ni.

I'd use it for any teas you want to "round off" the rough edges: teas with odd storage notes, young shou that still has some wo dui notes, oolongs that are almost too high fired, teas that are a bit drying on the throat, etc. In my experience, it's quite rare that duan ni will do well with floral or fragrant teas, unless it's really high quality vintage clay. I like to taste the subtle notes in my young sheng, so I personally wouldn't use it for that. Other people like to use duan ni to tame a potent/bitter sheng though and it's a fairly common pairing.

User avatar
May 4th, '17, 22:45
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 15th, '13

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Lion » May 4th, '17, 22:45

tingjunkie wrote: Definitely duan ni. Bai ni (white clay) looks more light grey/white than that. Duan ni is generally a more porous clay, and even higher fired duan ni still won't ring like high fired hong ni or zhu ni.

I'd use it for any teas you want to "round off" the rough edges: teas with odd storage notes, young shou that still has some wo dui notes, oolongs that are almost too high fired, teas that are a bit drying on the throat, etc. In my experience, it's quite rare that duan ni will do well with floral or fragrant teas, unless it's really high quality vintage clay. I like to taste the subtle notes in my young sheng, so I personally wouldn't use it for that. Other people like to use duan ni to tame a potent/bitter sheng though and it's a fairly common pairing.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking more along the lines of young sheng because I have a lot of it. I did try a session with a young sheng cake out of it recently and thought it was pretty nice. I guess I need to do a side by side with a gaiwan and see if I have a preference.

May 20th, '17, 09:30
Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 20th, '17

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by tcsmeg » May 20th, '17, 09:30

clay : zhini(purple clay)
size : 250cc
shape:井栏(jing-lan/well barricade)
teapot name: banqiao hu (板桥壶)- The engraving is a riddle(in poem) by the artis banqiao in ching dynasty.
tea used: oolong (da hong pao)
why I like the pot: The style of engraving is a free style and more like a child writing merging the poem riddle. And the pot water flow fast with clean stopage.
Purchased: Purchased in YiXing through a friend staying in Yixing.
Attachments
File 20-05-2017, 9 17 54 PM.jpeg
File 20-05-2017, 9 17 54 PM.jpeg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 117 times

User avatar
May 29th, '17, 00:38
Posts: 251
Joined: Feb 9th, '16
Location: California

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by stevorama » May 29th, '17, 00:38

210ml Yu Hua Long zini teapot
Using with shou cha and hei cha
Attachments
20170528_212031[1].jpg
20170528_212031[1].jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 54 times
20170528_212210[1].jpg
20170528_212210[1].jpg (68 KiB) Viewed 54 times

May 29th, '17, 09:41
Posts: 21
Joined: Apr 20th, '17

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by tcsmeg » May 29th, '17, 09:41

stevorama wrote: 210ml Yu Hua Long zini teapot
Using with shou cha and hei cha
Yu (fish) hua(transform to) long(dragon) Meaning transformation of level from fish to dragon (a prosperity wishes). A traditional type of model but not everyone could master the skill.

Nice teapot anyway.

User avatar
May 29th, '17, 18:56
Posts: 251
Joined: Feb 9th, '16
Location: California

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by stevorama » May 29th, '17, 18:56

tcsmeg wrote:Yu (fish) hua(transform to) long(dragon) Meaning transformation of level from fish to dragon (a prosperity wishes). A traditional type of model but not everyone could master the skill. Nice teapot anyway.
Good to learn that the transformation is meant to be a prosperity wish. Can always use that! Thanks

User avatar
May 29th, '17, 23:12
Posts: 1648
Joined: Sep 2nd, '13
Location: in your tea closet
Contact: kyarazen

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by kyarazen » May 29th, '17, 23:12

tcsmeg wrote:
Yu (fish) hua(transform to) long(dragon) Meaning transformation of level from fish to dragon (a prosperity wishes). A traditional type of model but not everyone could master the skill.

Nice teapot anyway.
most are made with the use of moulds anyway.. not requiring super skills

+ Post Reply