How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

1
84
20%
2-3
94
22%
4-5
41
10%
6-7
12
3%
8-10
8
2%
11-14
6
1%
15 or more
10
2%
I USE 1
61
14%
2-3
67
16%
4-5
22
5%
6-7
5
1%
8-10
3
1%
11-14
3
1%
15 or more
9
2%
 
Total votes: 425

User avatar
Nov 17th, '10, 23:13
Posts: 5903
Joined: Jan 10th, '10, 16:04
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact: debunix

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by debunix » Nov 17th, '10, 23:13

That is a cute pot.

I 'broke in' my kyusu by one rinse with boiling water, then using straight away. Nothing fancy. Have one of them right next to me, still with some bi luo leaves in it from this morning. It is such a nice little pot.

User avatar
Nov 17th, '10, 23:17
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Nov 17th, '10, 23:17

Yeah, usually a hot rinse is all they need for breaking in.

User avatar
Nov 27th, '10, 17:54
Posts: 2657
Joined: May 31st, '08, 02:44
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact: Geekgirl

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Geekgirl » Nov 27th, '10, 17:54

Still one of my favorite teapots (by shoryu):

Image
solitary tea, on Flickr

User avatar
Nov 27th, '10, 22:57
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by IPT » Nov 27th, '10, 22:57

That is a beautiful Kyusu! :lol: The cow seems to like it as well.

User avatar
Nov 27th, '10, 23:04
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Nov 27th, '10, 23:04

IPT wrote:That is a beautiful Kyusu! :lol: The cow seems to like it as well.
The cow is running through Yutaka Midori tea fields of Kagoshima! :mrgreen:

Interesting juxtaposition Geek. Thank you for sharing with us.

User avatar
Dec 8th, '10, 21:53
Posts: 709
Joined: Sep 4th, '10, 18:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by the_economist » Dec 8th, '10, 21:53

Pictures of my latest acquisition! a cute little kyusu which is supposedly old. plenty of tea stains!
Attachments
DSC_1743-5_s.jpg
DSC_1743-5_s.jpg (21.63 KiB) Viewed 930 times
DSC_1742-4_s.jpg
DSC_1742-4_s.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 930 times
DSC_1741-1_s.jpg
DSC_1741-1_s.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 930 times

User avatar
Dec 8th, '10, 22:25
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09, 10:55
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by AdamMY » Dec 8th, '10, 22:25

Nice Kyusu Econ, looks like its already been well loved!

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 01:10
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by IPT » Dec 9th, '10, 01:10

That is a very pretty Kyusu. I am a big fan of blue and white porcelain. Nice find!

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 07:06
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: NEW! Ode to the Kyusu

by IPT » Dec 9th, '10, 07:06

Victoria wrote:One of my favorite kyusu is my Seiho butterfly:
Wow Victoria! That's really pretty! I don't know how I missed your post, but I really like it!

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 07:07
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by IPT » Dec 9th, '10, 07:07

I got my first Kyusu today!!!! I'm very excited. I'm not going to share photos until I get a chance to use it though. Sorry.

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 10:51
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Dec 9th, '10, 10:51

Great kyusu, econ. What screen does it have?

Cannot wait to see your kyusu in action IPT. Took pretty long to arrive ...

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 12:11
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by IPT » Dec 9th, '10, 12:11

It took so long because he went to the artisan's house to get it. Also, he asked him to sign and stamp a wooden box with ties for it.

He told me it would take this long, so no problem.

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 13:27
Posts: 709
Joined: Sep 4th, '10, 18:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by the_economist » Dec 9th, '10, 13:27

Chip wrote:Great kyusu, econ. What screen does it have?

Cannot wait to see your kyusu in action IPT. Took pretty long to arrive ...
a mucky one! haha...there's some black gunk buildup in the spout/screen which im trying to clean out. any suggestions would be welcome! i've been using a toothbrush to brush the screen but can't find anything to cleanout the spout bit.

its a ball filter with many holes.

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 14:32
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Dec 9th, '10, 14:32

the_economist wrote:
Chip wrote:Great kyusu, econ. What screen does it have?

Cannot wait to see your kyusu in action IPT. Took pretty long to arrive ...
a mucky one! haha...there's some black gunk buildup in the spout/screen which im trying to clean out. any suggestions would be welcome! i've been using a toothbrush to brush the screen but can't find anything to cleanout the spout bit.

its a ball filter with many holes.
Try to find a tiny bottle brush, I keep one with the teaware (which came with a hummingbird feeder) for kyusu cleaning only. You might be able to find one in a large kitchen supply store?

Maybe a Q-Tip will help. Since it is glazed, soaking in vinegar (or baking soda or bleach) should help as well. I also scraped the inside with a toothpick which broke through thick layers of scale/tea stain residue build-up.

User avatar
Dec 9th, '10, 18:00
Posts: 1590
Joined: Dec 30th, '08, 21:16
Location: The foot of the great Smoky Mountains

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by iannon » Dec 9th, '10, 18:00

Chip wrote:
the_economist wrote:
Chip wrote:Great kyusu, econ. What screen does it have?

Cannot wait to see your kyusu in action IPT. Took pretty long to arrive ...
a mucky one! haha...there's some black gunk buildup in the spout/screen which im trying to clean out. any suggestions would be welcome! i've been using a toothbrush to brush the screen but can't find anything to cleanout the spout bit.

its a ball filter with many holes.
Try to find a tiny bottle brush, I keep one with the teaware (which came with a hummingbird feeder) for kyusu cleaning only. You might be able to find one in a large kitchen supply store?

Maybe a Q-Tip will help. Since it is glazed, soaking in vinegar (or baking soda or bleach) should help as well. I also scraped the inside with a toothpick which broke through thick layers of scale/tea stain residue build-up.
pipe cleaners can come in handy too! i always have tons of those around since they seem to be more for childrens crafts tha actual pipe cleaning :lol:

+ Post Reply