Aug 8th, '11, 21:26

Re: Yixing Repair... American Style

by bagua7 » Aug 8th, '11, 21:26

About the use of any glue on pottery used for brewing tea, wouldn't be it hazardous to human health due to possible leakage into the tea itself.

This is something that should be worth considering before trying to repair a Yixing pot and then use it regularly again.

Aug 9th, '11, 00:16

by tingjunkie » Aug 9th, '11, 00:16

bagua7 wrote:About the use of any glue on pottery used for brewing tea, wouldn't be it hazardous to human health due to possible leakage into the tea itself.

This is something that should be worth considering before trying to repair a Yixing pot and then use it regularly again.
I know. I've heard there can be severe damage to the male uterus. Something to think about.

Aug 10th, '11, 23:13

by Tead Off » Aug 10th, '11, 23:13

tingjunkie wrote:
bagua7 wrote:About the use of any glue on pottery used for brewing tea, wouldn't be it hazardous to human health due to possible leakage into the tea itself.

I know. I've heard there can be severe damage to the male uterus. Something to think about.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Feb 3rd, '12, 07:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Feb 3rd, '12, 07:29

Not a Yixing, but an American Style repair. My favorite gaiwan has been benched for awhile, my frustrations mounting. Most teas just come out better, partly due to years of practice with this particular brewing vessel, partly due to its superior construction. I couldn't bring myself to love another gaiwan.

A few days ago I put it back together using "100% silicone" adhesive, seemingly meant for aquarium use. It is waterproof and heat proof to 350 degrees (F).

I used far more than was needed, being unsure how rigid the cured product would be, and fearing something that would flex and ultimately pull apart with use. So far, the bond is much stronger than I expected and has no "give."

The excess was unsightly, so after two days to cure, I removed it from both sides with a flexible razor blade.

Dec 9th, '12, 10:26

by gasninja » Dec 9th, '12, 10:26

I just repaired two of my three shui pings that fell victim to a falling glass sculpture using this method. On these two pots only the handles where broke . Unfortunately my favorite of the three is broken on the spout. I am hesitant to have my tea running over jb weld without some more info on it. I see nothing about it being non toxic on the label. In fact I see a bunch of info suggesting that this stuff is pretty toxic.
Ting - Do you have any info on the safety of this . How did you come to the conclusion that this is safe? I really wanna to use this pot again as it was my first decent yixing and a gift.

Dec 9th, '12, 11:58

by JBaymore » Dec 9th, '12, 11:58

Dec 9th, '12, 18:05

by tingjunkie » Dec 9th, '12, 18:05

Dec 9th, '12, 19:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 9th, '12, 19:13

That is very helpful!!!

Thanks.

Jan 19th, '13, 04:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 19th, '13, 04:30

Broke the handle off my first Yixing today: used regular JB Weld before I found this thread. My repair isn't going to be as clean as TingJunkie's, but it should hold!

Jan 19th, '13, 09:19
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 19th, '13, 09:19

JB Weld can be cured much faster at higher temperatures: some sources say to cure it at a higher temperature than you intend to use it at. I carried on with using my pot virtually immediately and it was rock solid within an hour. Pity about the drop: there's a 1/4" diameter area where the clay just crumbled on one side, but the other side of the handle looks almost perfect. Either way I'm glad the JB Weld is out of the path of the tea since it's just the handle, but it's supposed to be non-toxic anyway once it's cured.

Mar 31st, '13, 02:45

by Exempt » Mar 31st, '13, 02:45

Going to try j-b marineweld on this teapot wednesday
ImageImage

Jan 22nd, '14, 19:07

by luca » Jan 22nd, '14, 19:07

I have a micro Yixing pot purchased on a visit to China which suffered a severe break along one side, a piece the size of a US quarter. When rejoined, there remains one 3mm hole which would require the use of a filler.

Now, a few questions please:

1. Despite the assertion that JB Weld adhesive is non-toxic once cured, I remain hesitant, as this is clearly not a food grade substance. What's the source for this claim that it is non-toxic once cured?

2. Has anyone tried products from link provided by Jon above to food grade adhesives? http://www.masterbond.com/certifications/food-grade And which one exactly?

3. Any suggestions on the need for a filler material? Hoping the proper adhesive may be suitable for spreading over this area to act as the filler.

Kind thanks,
Luca (Taipei)
Last edited by luca on Feb 11th, '14, 12:47, edited 2 times in total.

Jan 23rd, '14, 22:00

by kikula » Jan 23rd, '14, 22:00

Thanks to this thread I very neatly repaired a broken handle on on much loved Bero kyusu with JB weld several months ago. The break is all but invisible and it all seems tight as a drum. What would I do without this forum?

Feb 11th, '14, 12:49

by luca » Feb 11th, '14, 12:49

I have a small Yixing pot purchased on a visit to China which suffered a severe break along one side, a piece the size of a US quarter. When rejoined, there remains one 3mm hole which would require the use of a filler.

Now, a few questions please:

1. Despite JB Weld's reported effectiveness as a ceramic adhesive, I remain hesitant, as this is clearly not a food grade substance. How can we know it is non-toxic once cured?

2. Has anyone tried products from link provided by Jon above to food grade adhesives? http://www.masterbond.com/certifications/food-grade And which one exactly?

3. Any suggestions on the use for a filler material? Hoping the proper adhesive may be suitable for spreading over this area to act as the filler, but perhaps not....

Many thanks in advance,
Luca

Sep 4th, '14, 21:27

by Hmm » Sep 4th, '14, 21:27

Has anyone found that after doing a repair using JB marine weld, that there's a faint chemical like smell that lingers? It's been about 5-6 days since I did the repair, and it still stinks a little bit. Should I try putting the pot in boiling water?

I'm not sure if I should bother trying to use the pot again, or just keep it for display.

+ Post Reply