Aug 17th, '10, 09:33

Celadon Ru Kiln Gaiwan

by auhckw » Aug 17th, '10, 09:33

I came across this in a tea shop today.
*picture not mine

It looks nice and elegant. I'm not too familiar with Celadon. The shop person said that it will smoothen the water.

I have some questions, anyone can share their experience.

1) Does this Celadon Ru Kiln absorb tea like purple clay? Does the one pot one tea concept apply?

2) What kind of tea is suitable for this? Can I brew Gyokuro / Pu erh / Oolong?

3) Though it sounds amazing that it will smoothen water, Is this material safe to use long term?

Aug 17th, '10, 11:43
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Celadon Ru Kiln Gaiwan

by Victoria » Aug 17th, '10, 11:43

I have been eying some white pieces from Ru Kiln myself. This is a beauty.

Celadon is a glaze, so the whole piece is glazed there is no exposed clay.
Not sure how it could effect the water. There is high iron content in the glaze, but still, not sure if you would get a tetsubin like effect, which I guess is what they are claiming.

It is definitely suited for Pu erh / Oolong. If you brew Gyokuro in a gaiwan
normally, then it's fine too.

I'm sure you will be happy with it, but it will be HOT! This will be a heavy piece and absorb a lot of heat. I would advise not filling it all the way to the top.

Aug 17th, '10, 11:55

by Mr. Usaji » Aug 17th, '10, 11:55

Yeah, celadon is a glaze, so I don't think it will absorb anything; you can use it with all kinds of tea. It's supposed to crack over time, so make sure you like that. Personally I think Ru Kiln celadon looks awesome, though I don't own any pieces of it.

I don't know what "smoothen water" means, but I don't think you can be sure about the safety of anything from China. The main concern in glazes is lead, and you can test it for that if you're worried.

How can you tell it's heavy just from the picture?

Aug 17th, '10, 11:58

by TwoPynts » Aug 17th, '10, 11:58

Mr. Usaji wrote:...How can you tell it's heavy just from the picture?
It keeps sliding to the bottom of my browser screen, must be heavy. :wink:
Nice looking gaiwan!

Aug 17th, '10, 12:03

by auhckw » Aug 17th, '10, 12:03

I wonder where to buy the lead test kit? Want to test my pots and cups with it too :wink:

Anyway, found a nice writeup about the product:-
http://www.ioffer.com/i/-Gaiwan-Ru-Kiln ... -140859997
The Host Ru Kiln
Precious Ru Kiln is the best in the world. Observing the color of glaze you can find it is just like the sun shines again after rain, mile and ancient as well as simple: touching its surface, you can feel smooth and exquisite just like beautiful jade.
The 10 th century A.D.(Song Dynasty ). A morning star is rising in Chinese porcelain history-Ru Kiln
Amount of treasures of Ru Kiln which can be handed down from ancient times is less than 70pcs, which are all rare treasures.
The host Ru Kiln shows its amazing beautiful by its meteoric, graceful and peaceful features as well as natural beauty without any flowery decoration.

Dongdao Ru Ware, the No. one Kiln in the world.
Dongdao tea tool (pots and cups etc.) are well received for its simplistic design, elegant appearance, a combination of simple aesthetics and noble character, looking from a distance you are amazed. However, coming closer, they are attractive and approachable. Its color reminds of the clear sky after a rain. They feel like jade ware, smooth and fine. The heritage of the noble character and ingenuity exhibited in Dongdao tea tools. Make the Dongdao tea tools objects of collection by the connoisseurs. Dongdao Ru Kiln ware tells people of a legendary history.

The First of Celadon & Ringleader Ru Kiln
Ru kiln porcelain had been listed on the top five famous Kilns ( Ru,Jun,Guan,Ge,Ding) in Song Dynasty, which had been praised as “The first of Celadon & Ringleader Ru Kiln” and keep the same until now. Ru Kiln is in the first position among all porcelain with exquisite base, stiff structure and glossy glaze color. Starting from Song, Yuan, Ming, Qing Dynasty, Ru Kiln had been used in royal court, and kept in royal court warehouse being considered as treasure, which can compare with sacrificial vessels in Song Dynasty and ancient cooking vessels of Zhou Dynasty. It was also said that no matter how many treasures you have, it still can not compare with a piece of Ru Kiln porcelain.

Shape—simple and exquisite, pure and substantial
Shape of Ru Kiln porcelain is grand and generous, anciently simple and graceful, the base cliff, pretty and stylish. Exquisite techniques and making with charms

Being eminent above all others of the same kind
Ru Kiln breaks new ground for the future in the Chinese porcelain history. It is eminent above all other of the same kind, which creates new style of celadon porcelain culture, builds up a good sample for the porcelain of simple color in Ming and Qing dynasties and erects monument for the development of porcelain ware. Ru Kiln has elegant and quiet beauty like mild jade, which is solid, generous and lenient, which is exceedingly beautiful, solemn and quiet, simple and generous.

Being polished again and again, coming up with excellent product finally
The firing techniques of Ru Kiln are very complicated. The porcelain base is made with more than 10 kinds of mines after being filtered by tambours of 80meshes and 120meshes, sucked all the irons by magnetite and tagged into slop, then slop being put into mold. After being dried, the porcelain base shall be polished for 3 times to make it smooth, thereafter, being fired for 10 hours at the temperature of 800’c, later being polished for 2 times. It will be finished after putting glaze on porcelain base and being dried, then fired for 13 hours; the detailed procedures are 18 steps. The main procedure of firing is the procedure of oxidation reduction under 1260’C high temperature and get rid of oxygen atom from silicate. But the rate of finished product is just 17%, as for the excellent product, even fewer.

Color---cyan like sky, surface like jade
Ru Kiln porcelain uses carnelian into glaze, which has beautiful quality, graceful, clean and simple with soft color full of water sense. For the light glaze color, it is like broad sky which is called “sky cyan” : for the dark glaze color , it is like the sunshine after rain, which is called “pink cyan” : for the white glaze color, it is like shinning star which is call “moon white”.

Crackle---silk like chaeto, quality like gold
Since the separation of glaze materials (carnelian crystal), the ware surface appears beautiful small crackle like scale, the pearl shape crystal is around the bubble, just like morning stars, it is very unique.

Textural Quality---smooth like skin, feel like fat
Ru Kiln porcelain is soft and smooth, feel like Chi with transparent and fruit juice. When being watched, it is like the green of mountain full of trees, having the beautiful of jade.
The host Ru Kiln is ancient, simple and elegant, with average smooth sense, taking the excellent technique of Ru Kiln and soul of changing of glaze color, which continues the great reputation of No.1 porcelain.

Notice on Collection and Appreciation of Ru Kiln Product:

[ Fostering of Ru Kiln porcelain]
1. When appreciation Ru Kiln porcelain, you shall wash the inner and exterior of Ru Kiln clearly to avoid any oil contacting with it:
2. When using it, you can use fostering pot brush to moisten the surface of Ru Kiln by tea liquid, then appreciate the changing of cicada wing like lines(for the host Ru Kiln ware used for long period, the appearance of tea lines is normal, it show ancient charms ).
3. After finishing using it, you shall clean all the tea-leaf and wash by clean water and dry it.
4. Before the Ru Kiln is used, it can be put in dry and clean room.

[Collection of Ru Kiln Porcelain]
1. Ru Kin shall be put in a room which is well ventilated, dry and clean room.
2. After being fostered and appreciated, the host Ru Kiln will show its unique wise, the changing of its cicada wing like lines varies from each, which also makes each one the unique in the world. It is the best artwork which is worthwhile to be collected.
3. The Ru Kiln porcelain shall not be keep without being used for long period. Feel the function of enjoying while using to appreciate its texture and tea mixing together showing the art sense.
4. The person who collects it can feel the soul of culture by heart: making mud forever, tasting the great sample of art.
Last edited by auhckw on Aug 17th, '10, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 17th, '10, 12:06

by Victoria » Aug 17th, '10, 12:06

I have other pieces of Ru kiln teaware. They are dense and
heavy. But, I was really just comparing to a porcelain gaiwan.

Aug 17th, '10, 12:15

by chicagopotter » Aug 17th, '10, 12:15

Mr. Usaji wrote:I don't know what "smoothen water" means, but I don't think you can be sure about the safety of anything from China. The main concern in glazes is lead, and you can test it for that if you're worried.
While I don't own any Ru Kiln ware, I would be highly surprised of lead use in any of their wares. Plenty of discussion on the lead issue on TC if you look around.

Aug 17th, '10, 12:20

by auhckw » Aug 17th, '10, 12:20

The shop I went has a lot of Ru Kiln series. Even have this cute tortoise :)

Tortoise * Ru Kiln Celadon Teatable Ornament
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tortoise-Ru-Kiln-Ce ... ltDomain_0
*Picture above and site is for reference

Aug 17th, '10, 12:22

by Mrs. Chip » Aug 17th, '10, 12:22

Awww! Adorable lookin' fella! 8)

Aug 17th, '10, 15:11

by Herb_Master » Aug 17th, '10, 15:11

auhckw wrote:I came across this in a tea shop today.
Where was the shop? I shall be visiting Malaysia in 3 weeks time and always fancy browsing round new tea shops!

Aug 17th, '10, 16:28

by Ambrose » Aug 17th, '10, 16:28

I had a mini ru kiln gaiwan, it was amazing at gong fu cha! It was my personal favorite back when I owned a bunch of gaiwans. An improvement in taste and aroma VS regular porcelain gaiwans, Im not sure why though. I drank mostly oolongs from it, some black, a few chinese greens and white teas. Since the base material is stone it holds heat well, for greens or lighter teas, I leave the lid off for brewing. The cicada is beautiful on these, I think thats what its called.

Aug 17th, '10, 19:27

by auhckw » Aug 17th, '10, 19:27

Herb_Master wrote:
auhckw wrote:I came across this in a tea shop today.
Where was the shop? I shall be visiting Malaysia in 3 weeks time and always fancy browsing round new tea shops!
The shop is in South City Plaza, Persiaran Serdang Perdana, 43300 Seri Kembangan. Unfortuantely I cannot remember the name of the shop. Will get you the contact later.

I was digging the net and it seems like in South City Plaza have a lot of tea shops. So I went there with high hopes, but ended up quite disappointed. The plaza seems deserted, a lot of empty lots but true enough there are many tea shops (I think around 8 of em). Just that their stock doesn't entice me. Not sure a place worth the trip for you. Anyway, if you are at the mall you many drop by Tea-Li which is just walking distance out of the plaza.

PS: I found a tea directory in Malaysia
http://teaworld2u.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=30
*The list may be outdated, so if you plan to visit any of them I would suggest you call them first... who knows they have closed shop or shifted.
Last edited by auhckw on Aug 18th, '10, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 18th, '10, 03:28

by auhckw » Aug 18th, '10, 03:28

I went to the shop again. Name is Xiao Yao Teahouse (175, 1st Floor, South City Plaza, Seri Kembangan, Selangor)

They have many types of Ru Kiln ware such as Tea Pots, Cups, Gaiwan, Sets, etc. According to them, they are the distributer for KL area since early 2009.

Info I got from them:-

-Dongda is the company that produces the Ru Kiln. Their factory is originated at Taiwan. Recently they opened another factory in China. Both produce Ru Kiln, but price wise Ru Kiln from China is much cheaper even though both use the same material. Reason for it being cheaper is because the workmanship at China is much cheaper.

-According to them, from the look of the Ru Kiln, you wouldn’t tell the differences. Only different is there is an extra red sticker on the Taiwan Ru Kiln (which is removable if you plan to use it). The shop doesn’t sell Taiwan Ru Kiln as they said it is harder to sell, so basically they are selling only China Ru Kiln.

-I was offered to try a Ru Kiln cup vs Porcelain cup. According to them, Ru Kiln cup will make the drink smoother and reduces the bitterness. So they gave me raw Pu erh to try. Frankly, I cannot feel a big difference in both. Possibility is because I had some heavy black coffee before entering the shop. Anyway, they said clients of theirs have tried beer with Ru Kiln, and it obviously removes the bitterness. I think I may try it over the weekend.

-When holding Ru Kiln it gives the feeling that it solid and heavy. I compared a few of them (of the same type) and I can see that there is slight different in all of them which makes sense as it is handmade. There are 3 colours of Ru Kiln in general, but even it is supposed to be of the same colour, there is slight different as burning process differs. When used over time, there will be nice vein noticeable.

-They also said that the price for Ru Kiln increases about 10% every year from the manufacturer.

Aug 18th, '10, 03:34

by auhckw » Aug 18th, '10, 03:34

Gaiwan Ru Kiln Sunflower Shape Gaiwan Set-Bluish white
*Photos from camera phone

Aug 18th, '10, 04:01

by debunix » Aug 18th, '10, 04:01

Love especially that shot from above of the interior of the cup. Beautiful melding of color and shape.

+ Post Reply