Mar 5th, '11, 08:37

Re: Celadon Ru Kiln Gaiwan

by Shangers » Mar 5th, '11, 08:37

Zensuji wrote:
nonc_ron wrote:
Zensuji wrote:My ru kiln stuff is white and I can confirm it does go a rather unattractive yellow.
Sounds like you could have too much iron in your water.
You may want to get it tested or just buy a filter. :(
Its all been tested a year back and the water is fine. Plus I filter my water already. Its just with the galze being slightly matte it stains over time.

I think my white cups are slightly under used though so I'm going to stick loads of tea in them over the next couple of months and maybe they'll stain up better.

I know... I know... Digging this thread up from the grave.

Just wanted to note that I have some of the DongDao RuYao stuff in the Moon White color. One of my cups was my main tea cup for the past few months. I noticed the problem with the white going yellow, but I always tried to keep it clean with water after use.

Recently I purchased a hand-made cup from a different shop and we got talking about Ru Yao Celadon. We started talking about the white going yellow and he showed me a bunch of his cups that get abused day in and day out by customers. All of his looked amazing. I asked what was his secret and he told me that his friends ask the same question as they had bought a lot of his cups. He told me that he brushes them with toothpaste once per week. Like brushing teeth. He said as ours probably get less use than his, once every 2 weeks would be fine.

When I returned home, I tried it on my most used cup. Sure enough it worked a charm. Much more beautiful with a stronger contrast as it cleans up the white, but has less effect on what is built up in the cracks.

Will try to give mine a good cleaning tomorrow and snap a pic to show the difference between mine and the one pictured in the catalog.

Mar 26th, '11, 01:30

by BioHorn » Mar 26th, '11, 01:30

I know... I know... Digging this thread up from the grave.

Just wanted to note that I have some of the DongDao RuYao stuff in the Moon White color. One of my cups was my main tea cup for the past few months. I noticed the problem with the white going yellow, but I always tried to keep it clean with water after use.

Recently I purchased a hand-made cup from a different shop and we got talking about Ru Yao Celadon. We started talking about the white going yellow and he showed me a bunch of his cups that get abused day in and day out by customers. All of his looked amazing. I asked what was his secret and he told me that his friends ask the same question as they had bought a lot of his cups. He told me that he brushes them with toothpaste once per week. Like brushing teeth. He said as ours probably get less use than his, once every 2 weeks would be fine.

When I returned home, I tried it on my most used cup. Sure enough it worked a charm. Much more beautiful with a stronger contrast as it cleans up the white, but has less effect on what is built up in the cracks.

Will try to give mine a good cleaning tomorrow and snap a pic to show the difference between mine and the one pictured in the catalog.
So Shangers, it has been a couple of weeks. Let us see how your cleaning technique turned out!

Feb 27th, '12, 20:16

by Salib » Feb 27th, '12, 20:16

They are undoubtedly beautiful but what I saw after some use is that the brown lines on the base, begin to disappear.

+ Post Reply