Dec 27th, '11, 21:52

Yixing pouring trouble

by silversun » Dec 27th, '11, 21:52

Hello Teachat!

I have another question for the forum..
I just got a new yixing from YS (http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... roduct=907) and decided to dedicate it to green oolong. I have one other yixing (http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1016) I use for Wu Yi.
The old one works perfectly and I've never had any trouble with it, and it is nicely seasoned. However, I'm having trouble pouring from the new one. It works fine with no tea in it, but when I'm brewing it gets stopped up really easily. I'm not sure if this is just the nature of balled oolong or if there is something wrong with the pot. When the leaves start to unfurl some of them will go flat onto the holes where it is supposed to pour through. Is there any way I can prevent this while brewing so it doesn't take me ~20 secs to finish pouring out my tea?

Thanks!

Dec 27th, '11, 23:28

Re: Yixing pouring trouble

by Acaelus » Dec 27th, '11, 23:28

I have a similar one in the shape of Xi Shi, and I used to brew Formosa oolongs in it. This has never happened to me before. Maybe you're not using enough tea leaves? When they unfurl it should be large enough that they don't move when they're in the pot to prevent clogging in your pot.

Dec 28th, '11, 08:44

by silversun » Dec 28th, '11, 08:44

Yeah I haven't been using as many leaves as I probably should. I'll try that next time! Thanks!

Dec 28th, '11, 17:49

by tingjunkie » Dec 28th, '11, 17:49

It happens sometimes. I stole one of my fiancees smaller knitting needles for clearing spouts and filters in between infusions if necessary. 8)

Dec 28th, '11, 19:09

by bagua7 » Dec 28th, '11, 19:09

Agreed but that's for certain pots, others with a longer spout and different body shape still pour like mad even with a low amount of tea leaves, especially if the pot uses the golf ball type of filter.

Dec 30th, '11, 20:35

by silversun » Dec 30th, '11, 20:35

So, you'll all get a kick out of this one.
I was apparently pouring while holding the top of the lid where the hole is - it's terrible that i took me this long to figure that out. Not really the best location for it, but at least I know now that it was me and not the pot! Hehe.

+ Post Reply