Apr 22nd, '13, 16:05

Re: Looking for an electric kettle: I'd appreciate some help

by futurebird » Apr 22nd, '13, 16:05

minor_glitch wrote:I just got the Bonavita variable temp gooseneck pot and aside from getting used to the somewhat odd functionality of the buttons, I'm really impressed with it. Especially with how accurate the pour is. I bet I could fill a gonfu cup from 10 feet away without spilling a drop!

I love this kettle. It's perfect.

I only wish they made one that was lined in clay. Is that too much to ask? :lol:

Apr 22nd, '13, 16:15

by amaranto » Apr 22nd, '13, 16:15

Does anyone else have a problem getting their kettle over 200°F? Is there a setting that I'm overlooking?

Apr 22nd, '13, 16:52

by hopeofdawn » Apr 22nd, '13, 16:52

amaranto wrote:Does anyone else have a problem getting their kettle over 200°F? Is there a setting that I'm overlooking?
I haven't had any problems at all--the highest factory preset was 208 degrees, I think, but I was able to bump it up using the + and - buttons to 212 to boil water easily ....

Apr 23rd, '13, 00:18

by amaranto » Apr 23rd, '13, 00:18

I haven't had any problems at all--the highest factory preset was 208 degrees, I think, but I was able to bump it up using the + and - buttons to 212 to boil water easily ....
Maybe it's just mine. I've tried really hard today, but the temperature just won't get any higher.

Apr 23rd, '13, 01:34

by Hannah » Apr 23rd, '13, 01:34

I really want one of these... But can't get them in Aus :( and I already have a breville teamaker kettle so I can't justify it..

How do you find the temperature of the water in the spout? Wouldn't it cool really quickly?
It doesn't sound like a big deal but of you're filling a 40ml yixing and only get cooler water it could be a little annoying...?

Apr 23rd, '13, 13:51

by amaranto » Apr 23rd, '13, 13:51

That's a good question regarding spout temperature, Hannah. I cannot answer it because I do not use a thermometer, though the spout is quite thin, and the heated water gets from the body of the kettle to the teapot very fast. This might not be good enough for you if you like to brew with extreme precision.

Apr 23rd, '13, 14:39

by hopeofdawn » Apr 23rd, '13, 14:39

Honestly, I can't imagine you lose more heat from the water going through the spout then you would from pouring water through the air--the gooseneck spout makes it very easy to pour with the tip right at the mouth of your pot, however, if heat loss is a concern. Or as an alternative, you can always set the kettle temp a degree or two higher to compensate for any cooling as you pour ... this kettle is pretty darn exact! To the point of even telling you what temp your water is at as it sits in the pot and gradually cools down ...

Apr 23rd, '13, 15:36

by Poohblah » Apr 23rd, '13, 15:36

amaranto wrote:Does anyone else have a problem getting their kettle over 200°F? Is there a setting that I'm overlooking?
What do you mean? If you are boiling the water, then it is 212 degrees, unless you are above sea level, in which case boiling point drops as you go higher. Where I live at above 6000 feet, the boiling point is below 200 degrees. Do you mean that you cannot bring the water to a boil?

Apr 23rd, '13, 17:09

by MIKE_B » Apr 23rd, '13, 17:09

What Poohblah said. You are in Mexico City? Elevation around 8000ft. Water boils at around 195ºF. Right? That's all she wrote.

Apr 23rd, '13, 18:12

by amaranto » Apr 23rd, '13, 18:12

What do you mean? If you are boiling the water, then it is 212 degrees, unless you are above sea level, in which case boiling point drops as you go higher. Where I live at above 6000 feet, the boiling point is below 200 degrees. Do you mean that you cannot bring the water to a boil?
What Poohblah said. You are in Mexico City? Elevation around 8000ft. Water boils at around 195ºF. Right? That's all she wrote.
:oops: I feel stupid. You guys have an excellent point. Yeah, my neighborhood is located around 7,400 feet above sea level.

Thanks! :lol:

Mar 4th, '18, 08:48

by jjtheman » Mar 4th, '18, 08:48

Hello, I've been using the Procizion electric gooseneck kettle for a long time now and it still works great. I purchased this when it was over $40, looks like the price dropped and there's an active 20% code on it. Nonetheless I'm still very happy with this little kettle, it's worth it. The only downside is it's got no thermometer so the next one I'm getting I'll be looking for that feature.

+ Post Reply