Feb 23rd, '14, 21:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: More or less the same Xishi Zhu Ni but different prices?

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '14, 21:49

Teaism wrote:Well said Chip.

Also for that price, it is worth it. A genuine clay teapot hand made by artist, brew tea very nicely definitely better than a new moulded Yixing pot with questionable clay. The design and shape is good for me too.
I have one of another design sitting on my tea tray and going to get another one when I visit Akira next month. I booked the hotel next to his shop and will check him out for 2 days for tea. Will get the feel of the pots before I buy another one, which I am considering the Xishi.

Cheers!
OK, getting further and further off topic, but Hojo clearly has evolved in his thinking about kyusu/pots. Not so long ago he had the most amazing Kyusu by top name artisans that were aesthetically astounding. The best I had ever seen.

Now the pots on his site seem fundamentally simplistic to me. Clay is king.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 23rd, '14, 21:57

by Tead Off » Feb 23rd, '14, 21:57

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
NPE wrote:
Tead Off wrote:I think these are poor copies of Xishi style. No grace to these.
Well, call me an enjoyer of graceless teapots: I have a lot of fun and great tea with the one from Life in Teacup and I have K227b from Hojo currently making its way to me.

A variation on a common theme does not always have to be bad - I can enjoy both Tom Waits' as well as Tori Amos' interpretation of 'Time' :D
was talking about the Japanese copies, not Gingko's. The clay may be very nice for tea. It's just a personal opinion, but well made Xishi have a lot of grace and style. I don't find that in these Japanese ones. Not beautiful. Just my taste, nothing personal. Actually, it's all personal. :D
But are these being sold as Xishi "copies?" Perhaps they have a resemblance ... perhaps ... to a small degree. This is a bit like night and day to me personally. I do not think Hojo nor the artisan is shooting for "grace." It is all about the clay and function.

The clay is nice for tea. In general these pots including the side handle have a rudimentary look. A quality to them that is earthy, warm, raw, natural ... enjoyable to use.

Obviously this is not going to appeal to everyone ... but for me it was an instant attraction ... I saw and bought instantly (side handle). For me to do this, I have to realllllly like the item.

However we (you, me and Hojo) can agree on this, I do not particularly care for the droopy back handle pots.
I think that the said teapots are copies of traditional Chinese Xi Shi, but so are all new teapots in this shape. There is no condescension in this. Almost all teapots that are produced anywhere are copies or modifications of existing works. My comments were aimed only at aesthetics and I think NPE knows that I was exaggerating the belittlement of the shape (I really don't like them). However, buying teaware is NOT all about the clay and the brewing. I think everyone is aiming at a balance of workmanship and clay quality when purchasing something. But, as I said, it's all personal.

Feb 23rd, '14, 22:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '14, 22:16

Tead Off wrote:However, buying teaware is NOT all about the clay and the brewing. I think everyone is aiming at a balance of workmanship and clay quality when purchasing something. But, as I said, it's all personal.
Ah, so since the general design existed previously, anything that resembles it is a copy? I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this point.

These (side handle) have struck that balance for me ... personally which I stated indirectly in my last post. But many Kyusu do it for me. :mrgreen:

Some would argue that the clay is the only thing. Some would say not.

I can respect the attempts to find best clays for teapots. However it is not the only thing for me. However I do have 9 Kyusu purchased from Hojo. So, I like the style that he is presenting married to the "Hojo magic clay."
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

+ Post Reply