Apr 6th, '08, 19:51

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Apr 6th, '08, 19:51

chamekke wrote:Incidentally, I have some small sencha cups with the amamori effect (this means "leaky roof" according to Yellin) - so called due to the spots that appear on the surface of the piece. When the base colour is cream/white, the spots tend to be pinkish. Not everyone cares for these, but I've grown to like them!
Is that the same as gohonde?

A question for the hagi users, do you submerge your hagi in water before each use?

Apr 6th, '08, 20:30

by Space Samurai » Apr 6th, '08, 20:30

I don't.

Apr 6th, '08, 21:33

by greenisgood » Apr 6th, '08, 21:33

It's probably just tea stains that sit on the surface but when I pre-heat my fukugata tokoname (rishi) I get a distintly seaweed like aroma like some of the sencha has definitly rubbed off on the old clay. I tend to just thouroughly rinse after every use (so its not just leftover old tea that never got rinsed), but I never actually scrub the inside out or anything. I don't know about porosity but it seems to be seasoning pretty well.

Apr 7th, '08, 00:13

by chamekke » Apr 7th, '08, 00:13

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
chamekke wrote:Incidentally, I have some small sencha cups with the amamori effect (this means "leaky roof" according to Yellin) - so called due to the spots that appear on the surface of the piece. When the base colour is cream/white, the spots tend to be pinkish. Not everyone cares for these, but I've grown to like them!
Is that the same as gohonde?

A question for the hagi users, do you submerge your hagi in water before each use?
Yes, I think it's the same as gohonde.

As for submerging hagi in water - I don't do this with the sencha cups, but I do have a chawan I use for matcha. With that one, I always rinse it with hot water and then dry it (in the manner traditional in tea ceremony) prior to making the tea.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

+ Post Reply