Tea Reviews

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

Feb 14th, '10, 17:36

Re: Tea Reviews

by Amaikokonut » Feb 14th, '10, 17:36

Goodness, I didn't mean to come off as harsh, sorry if I did. :(

I do appreciate the effort put into names and labels-- I think that sounds like a ton of fun myself--but I haven't created any blends for the site yet, maybe that why I just don't get it.

I can only speak from the point of view of someone just looking to purchase nice tea blends, and it can be quite difficult to tell which ones were blended for good flavor and which ones are a lot of fun but mostly gimmicky (like the recently reviewed Ravenclaw blend). I'm all for creativity, but on the side of the buyers, I just think it would be nice if there was something more to help us have a bit more confidence in what we're purchasing, be that more reviews or the knowledge that the product has repeat buyers.

Feb 14th, '10, 19:15

by LauraW » Feb 14th, '10, 19:15

Amaikokonut wrote:it can be quite difficult to tell which ones were blended for good flavor and which ones are a lot of fun but mostly gimmicky (like the recently reviewed Ravenclaw blend). I'm all for creativity, but on the side of the buyers, I just think it would be nice if there was something more to help us have a bit more confidence in what we're purchasing, be that more reviews or the knowledge that the product has repeat buyers.
Absolutely agree, and that's why I try to keep up with the TeaV episodes. But it would be nice if maybe the Featured blends are ones that have been tried and liked by Zack/staff/enough positive reviews, although not necessarily put into the weekly episodes, not just whatever happens to be new and selling - selling doesn't necessarily mean enjoyed.

Feb 15th, '10, 10:31

by beckynoel » Feb 15th, '10, 10:31

I for one don't take other peoples' reviews into account. Especially when it comes to personal tastes or opinions-- like with movies, music, or tea! I know what I like and I know what I don't like. Just because someone else really likes something doesn't mean that I'm going to like it and vice versa.

I'm not saying that the tea reviewing process is a waste, though. If someone buys a signature blend that I made, it is interesting to see what they thought of it. But someone else's opinion won't persuade or deter me from making a tea purchase. The 2 or 3 teas used to make the blend are always listed, so I can conclude from that whether it's MY CUP OF TEA!! :)

Mar 14th, '10, 22:00

by Sojourne » Mar 14th, '10, 22:00

I'm new here, but I think I still have a voice. I for one, buy my blends. I find that part of the blend making and learning process, but I think the "fauxpas blend" remarks are a little disconcerting and I'll tell you why.
While the enlightened set may turn their nose up to blends of black, white and herbal, There just may be a combination out there that works for someone. Tea is an art-always has been. Imagine if the Chinese stopped at black tea? I love tea, I love the experience and I love the feeling it leaves in me. I want nothing but others to have that feeling too. These are recipes and all recipes are tweaked anyhow. Don't take the fun out of it simply because of your knowledge of tea. People (like me) are still learning. If I make a tea that doesn't taste good, I will either make bath teas or compost for my roses. I also take a chance on others. This is why I love adagio and why I've ordered about 8 blends since I signed up. I'm stocking up so blend away!!!
I do however, appreciate your knowledge of tea and read your posts so that I can learn more. You guys are great!
:D

Mar 15th, '10, 14:38

by EleanorJustice » Mar 15th, '10, 14:38

beckynoel wrote: Not everyone who makes a signature blend is aware of the blending faux pas like combining green, white, and black teas together, which is pretty much sure to be a dud.
Hahahaha! Oh, if only I had read this before my infamous Mintyfish experience! I use sample tins and taste the blends I create before I post them, and *thank god*, because somehow one of them I was testing a while back tasted like minty fish. Very distinctly. The individual teas had smelled wonderful together before steeping, but then, well.. mintyfish.

It was *so* weird that for a short while I toyed with the idea of making it an April Fool's tea, but decided against it because it would have been cruel.
:)

Mar 15th, '10, 14:47

by EleanorJustice » Mar 15th, '10, 14:47

cls46 wrote:I noticed that Eleanor Justice's four latest blends are somehow at the top of the signature blends list even though that is not where they would belong alphabetically :x
Meep! I just saw this, and thought I'd chime in -- My blend "A Sweet Little Tea" has two spaces after the A, and when I saw that two spaces put it at the top of the A's, I kept the extra one in there. It's not preferential treatment, it's tricksy typos that did a nifty thing.

I don't work for Adagio, I'm just *really* addicted to drinking and blending teas, and find that it's a wonderful creative outlet. I think it's awesome of Adagio to give us the ability to create signature blends, period. :)

Mar 15th, '10, 14:53

by EleanorJustice » Mar 15th, '10, 14:53

Amaikokonut wrote: I just think it would be nice if there was something more to help us have a bit more confidence in what we're purchasing, be that more reviews or the knowledge that the product has repeat buyers.
I agree! Although I know that for me, there are so many kinds that I want to try that in these pre-lottery jackpot times, it's hard to decide between another tin of something I know I love, or a tin of something I haven't tried (or sample tins of flavors to play with).

I wish there were a way to get sample sizes of signature blends. I'm sure this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum, and there are very likely logistical issues out the wazoo, but perhaps at some point in the future it'll be possible.

In the meantime, if anyone's curious about one of my blends and has the sample flavors on hand, I'm happy to share the percentages with them so they can try it out before committing to it.

Mar 26th, '10, 21:21

by Amaikokonut » Mar 26th, '10, 21:21

Ahh samples of blends would really be nice, though I suppose they are unavailable because (I think) Adagio mixes most of the blends as they are ordered, so making tiny sample blends would be quite a chore at best and not really worth the labor.

However, the fact that there were sample sizes at least for the zodiac blends (and I will say I really loved getting that free sample with my first order) makes me wonder if it might be possible to do a limited sample run of certain blends? Say, every month four or so blends (maybe the previous month's best sellers or just favorites chosen by the staff) would be offered in sample sizes while supplies lasted, and these would be blended and packaged ahead of time in one go to reduce labor. It might be a reasonable compromise to at least offer some blends as samples every so often. Actually, a sort of "blend of the month" program sounds like a lot of fun too.

Ahh but I don't really know how things work on Adagio's end. I can keep hoping at least :)

Mar 27th, '10, 08:42

by Aphroditea » Mar 27th, '10, 08:42

Amaikokonut wrote:Ahh samples of blends would really be nice, though I suppose they are unavailable because (I think) Adagio mixes most of the blends as they are ordered, so making tiny sample blends would be quite a chore at best and not really worth the labor.

However, the fact that there were sample sizes at least for the zodiac blends (and I will say I really loved getting that free sample with my first order) makes me wonder if it might be possible to do a limited sample run of certain blends? Say, every month four or so blends (maybe the previous month's best sellers or just favorites chosen by the staff) would be offered in sample sizes while supplies lasted, and these would be blended and packaged ahead of time in one go to reduce labor. It might be a reasonable compromise to at least offer some blends as samples every so often. Actually, a sort of "blend of the month" program sounds like a lot of fun too.

Ahh but I don't really know how things work on Adagio's end. I can keep hoping at least :)

Might I suggest that, when it comes back around, you sign up for the Signature Blend Pass Box. This is a good way to taste test a lot of teas with no committment - also, you can add YOUR own blends to the box for others to try.

Just a thought. :)

+ Post Reply