How much difference do floral inclusions make?

Discuss some of the favorite customer-created Signature Blends.

Aug 15th, '15, 16:42

How much difference do floral inclusions make?

by Aeovis » Aug 15th, '15, 16:42

Obviously rose petals, hibiscus, and lavender are going to bring a lot of flavor to the table, but what about the others? Cornflowers, safflower, marigold flowers... how much of a presence do they have? What flavors do they contribute? What have been your experiences using them in blends?

Aug 15th, '15, 20:33

Re: How much difference do floral inclusions make?

by Frisbeehead » Aug 15th, '15, 20:33

Can't speak for the ones you mentioned but jasmine imparts a significant, unique flavor into the tea. See Chinese jasmine green teas.

Aug 16th, '15, 01:58

by Aeovis » Aug 16th, '15, 01:58

Oh, jasmine greens are some of my favorites. I love floral teas quite a lot. This is more about the specific 'accent' options when creating a blend on Adagio. The listed ones in the first post are all options given, but I haven't purchased teas including them nor had them alone. Cornflower and marigold may be mostly for color when it's in that small of a quantity-- but that's the problem, I don't know. So when I'm making a blend, I'm not sure what these will add to it.

I tell you, though, I wish adding jasmine was an accent option. I would abuse it almost as much as I do rose petals.

Aug 17th, '15, 00:28

by chamekke » Aug 17th, '15, 00:28

Occasionally I add dried osmathus flowers to tea, especially on later resteeps. Osmanthus has a delicate peach-apricot flavour and it beautifully complements many green teas and oolongs. It can also be steeped and drunk on its own. (It's also said to have medicinal benefits, but I drink it mostly for the taste.)

Apr 21st, '17, 17:00

by LooseLeafTeaMarket01 » Apr 21st, '17, 17:00

It depends on what you are using.

Something like Cornflowers won't make much of an impact on flavor, but they sure are pretty! Here's an example of a tea called Blueberry Thrill that has them:

As for Safflower, it's got sort of an odd flavor, it almost smells like cheese to me. But...it's really good for you. We used to use it in a formula for gout. It's also great for your cardiovascular system and helps to lower cholesterol, among other uses.

Calendula is another one that you'll see in a lot of teas. It can help round out the flavor of a blend. It's also a lymphatic cleanser and soothing to irritated tissues. Here's a picture of it in Lucky Morning Spice.

I hope that was helpful!

+ Post Reply