Apr 9th, '15, 16:32

Re: John Baymore ... Wood-fired Chadogu and Pottery

by JBaymore » Apr 9th, '15, 16:32

Hi all. Been crazy busy. Installed my solo Chawan exhibition, did a 3 day pre-NCECA workshop on making aka raku Chawan, was at NCECA both attending and presenting a lecture on Chawan, then came home and was in charge of the 3 day loading and 4 day firing of the college's anagama. Whew!

The "Chawan for Chanoyu" exhibition is up thru April 17th. Sorry..... the lead postcard bowl pictured above in this thread is already sold (headed to South Africa) but there are some others that are not yet sold. If you are interested, contact me (via a PM) for a price list of the remaining bowls and images and the gallery's contact info. (At the moment I don't do stuff like Etsy....sorry).

best,

...................john

Jun 9th, '15, 13:59

by JBaymore » Jun 9th, '15, 13:59

For the TeaChatters who are located in Europe:

17th Chawan Expo Belgium -Invitational
"Messages from Clay"
October 24 - Nov. 1
Abey of Hemiksem, Sint-Bernardusabdij, Hemiksem, Belgium

Ash and nuka glaze Chawan
High iron stoneware clay body, wood ash glaze on exterior, true nuka glaze on interior, thrown, 14 cm x 14 cm x 9 cm 480 g
John_Baymore-ChawanA-400w.jpg
John_Baymore-ChawanA-400w.jpg (9.66 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
Yellow Chawan
Stoneware, iron yellow glaze, black overglaze enamel, gold lustre, thrown, 14 cm x 13.5 cm x 9 cm 405 g

John_Baymore-ChawanB-400w.jpg
John_Baymore-ChawanB-400w.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
Aka Raku Chawan
Japanese style Raku, raku clay body, clear non-lead glaze over red iron slip, handbuilt, 13 cm x 13 cm x 8.7 cm 450 g
John_Baymore-ChawanC-400w.jpg
John_Baymore-ChawanC-400w.jpg (6.49 KiB) Viewed 4250 times
All will be available via the gallery in Belgium.

best,

..................john
Last edited by JBaymore on Jun 12th, '15, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 9th, '15, 14:55

by Jaymo » Jun 9th, '15, 14:55

Beautiful work, as always! I wish I could see them in person!

Jun 9th, '15, 15:11
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jun 9th, '15, 15:11

Always a pleasure to view: Does building by hand take more time than throwing? Seems slightly heavier. Any effect on tea from more weight or thickness?

All the best.

Jun 10th, '15, 01:01
TeawareArtisan Member

by inge » Jun 10th, '15, 01:01

I've put it in my calendar, just a short trip from my place. Looking very much forward to seeing your beautiful work!
Inge

PS: any chance you will be present yourself, John?

Jun 12th, '15, 10:44

by JBaymore » Jun 12th, '15, 10:44

Jaymo... thanks for the nice comments.

ethan, ....... yes the teibineri / kurinuki (pinched and then carved) traditional forming method for black and red raku wares is "slow going".......certainly when compared to throwing. Very contemplative. I love it.

But in another sense... I always loved HAMADA Shoji's comment ...... "60 years and 15 seconds". Meaning that it may take only a moment or two to form a single particular piece (like when throwing) ........ but in so doing, the trials and errors and the learning of 60 years of practice and experience come into full play.

Typically the Korean-based Ido style bowls are the lightest of all Chawan. ....and some I make are coming in at around 350 grams. In general...... the target for a Chawan (for actual formal Tea Ceremony) is around 450-460 grams for a "typical" bowl of about 13 cm dia. by 9 cm h. Once you get the bowl weight up to about 600 grams.... it would be considered really heavy by Chajin (Tea People) and difficult to use. Most typical scale raku bowls come in between 400 and 500 grams, but they can get down into the 300+ range sometimes also. The top ash glazed bowl there of mine is intended for Koicha... it is a very voluminous interior space...... so it will hold multiple servings of tea. Hence the slightly heavier weight.

What is MORE important than the total weight is the BALANCE. Balance is 'everything' in a Chawan for ChaNoYu.

For vitreous clay, the thickness and mass does two things. One is it provides both insulation from the hot tea to the hands..... and it also provides thermal mass so that when the bowl is pre-warmed in Ceremony, it keeps the tea warmer. Raku clay is porous... so it is insulating to start with (dead air spaces).

Inge, ............... thanks for the kind words also. Unfortunately I will not be in Belgium. I am taking some undergrad and grads to PRo China in October (including Yixing and Jingdezhen)...... so no extra traveling during the college semester for me.

best,

...................john

Jun 15th, '15, 11:43

by Fuut » Jun 15th, '15, 11:43

JBaymore wrote:Typically the Korean-based Ido style bowls are the lightest of all Chawan. ....and some I make are coming in at around 350 grams. In general...... the target for a Chawan (for actual formal Tea Ceremony) is around 450-460 grams for a "typical" bowl of about 13 cm dia. by 9 cm h. Once you get the bowl weight up to about 600 grams.... it would be considered really heavy by Chajin (Tea People) and difficult to use. Most typical scale raku bowls come in between 400 and 500 grams, but they can get down into the 300+ range sometimes also. The top ash glazed bowl there of mine is intended for Koicha... it is a very voluminous interior space...... so it will hold multiple servings of tea. Hence the slightly heavier weight.

What is MORE important than the total weight is the BALANCE. Balance is 'everything' in a Chawan for ChaNoYu.
Its the inside information that really gets my heart racing :D Thank you for sharing and love the work!

Jul 18th, '15, 21:44

by JBaymore » Jul 18th, '15, 21:44

The host organization (National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts <NCECA> ) has just posted the audio and PowerPoint images from my lecture at the annual spring conference that was recently held in Providence, RI.

It was titled "What makes a teabowl a Chawan"..... and was targeted to ceramic artists in attendance at the conference. The room held about 800 people... and was full.

http://blog.nceca.net/what-makes-a-teab ... now-online

best,

........................john

Jul 19th, '15, 01:20

by debunix » Jul 19th, '15, 01:20

That was an excellent presentation that clarified so much. I have never seen a tea ceremony, but as someone who spends a lot of time in the kitchen, I absolutely 'get' those practical aspects of the bowl size and shape and weight and form of the foot: the right tool makes such a huge difference even when just preparing food by myself for myself. Does it fit my hand, is it balanced well for whisking cream or beating eggs or creaming butter? Add an audience and a ceremony, and it obviously becomes even more paramount. I definitely have a few pieces where I snag my dish towels trying to wipe them dry.....and those tend to not get used as often. Many beautiful things are impractical in use, and I've sent many of those to my local thrift shops over the years.

Add in the aesthetics--I love thinking of 'takes a long time to get to know it'--and now I start to get the difference between 'pretty cup/bowl for tea' and 'chawan' in a way that I didn't before.

I was even inspired to run over to the shelf with a ruler to find that, indeed, several favorite pieces do have a nice golden mean proportion to them.

Thanks for the pointer and especially for the great talk. I'll be adding enjoyment to my brewing by pondering these points for many tea sessions to come.

Jul 19th, '15, 19:18

by chamekke » Jul 19th, '15, 19:18

John, your presentation was fantastic. I loved every moment - especially the Golden Mean! I'll be sending the link to everyone in my tea group. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Oct 13th, '15, 01:05

by JBaymore » Oct 13th, '15, 01:05

Thanks for the kind comments on the NCECA presentation everyone.

Tomorrow...... off to Beijing, Jingdezhen, and Yixing.

See ya' when I return.

best,

...................john

Oct 31st, '15, 10:36

by JBaymore » Oct 31st, '15, 10:36

I'm home. Still jetlagged.

It was a great trip. Learned a lot. More later.

best,

.............john

Oct 31st, '15, 14:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 31st, '15, 14:20

Welcome to the USA ... 8)

Nov 11th, '15, 11:23

by JBaymore » Nov 11th, '15, 11:23

18th Chawan Expo
Todd Art Gallery
Murfreesboro, TN

I'm pleased to have been included in this invitational exhibition of Chawan being held here in the United States. Shown below here are the three wood-fired Chawan which I will have in this exhibition, which are of course for sale.

The Chawan Expos are concieved and overseen by European ceramic artist Lou Smedts. The venue for this exhibition is at the Todd Art Gallery at Middle Tennessee State University. The exhibition runs from November 30th through December 9th, 2015. There are 70 international artists who have been invited to participate, each with three Chawan shown. The gallery's address is 1301 East Main Street, Murfreesboro, TN. Phone number is (615) 898-5532. Their email address is Gallery@mtsu.edu .
JohnBaymore-Chawan1.jpg
JohnBaymore-Chawan1.jpg (13.46 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
JohnBaymore-Chawan2.jpg
JohnBaymore-Chawan2.jpg (11.77 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
JohnBaymore-Chawan3.jpg
JohnBaymore-Chawan3.jpg (12.26 KiB) Viewed 3578 times

Nov 12th, '15, 10:14

by Fuut » Nov 12th, '15, 10:14

John, lovely work! I wish i would one day be able to take one for myself, but i'm afraid its going to take some years.

Love seeing your work here.

+ Post Reply