HambonePots Woodfired Ceramics

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Jul 11th, '14, 11:43
TeawareArtisan Member

Re: HambonePots Woodfired Ceramics

by FiveStar » Jul 11th, '14, 11:43

Awesome! I'm just glad it made it there. Having not shipped to Japan before, I was surprised and perplexed at the length of the address :lol: :lol:

Jul 13th, '14, 07:11
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jul 13th, '14, 07:11

haha yeah the Japanese address is a little daunting upon first glance.

Ok onto the the ceramics!

I started off with some decent sake

I paired it with a bizen tokuri

bottoms up!!!

once again thanks to Hambonepots, this is a great piece of wood fired ceramics and compliments my collection very well!

Jul 27th, '14, 17:53

by yalokinh » Jul 27th, '14, 17:53

Nice pieces!

Aug 26th, '14, 15:01
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Aug 26th, '14, 15:01

For the last few days, I've been helping load work and cut wood for another wood firing. Fingers crossed, if my pots survive there should be fresh teaware coming soon. Many cups, a few teapots, few shibs and gaiwans, and some yuzamashi to boot. I've got some larger teabowls and chawan forms in the kiln as well, but we'll have to see what makes the cut (and what makes it out of the kiln!) I'll be sharing some images here for sure!

Humble thanks for your interest in my work.

Aug 28th, '14, 15:51

by bonjiri » Aug 28th, '14, 15:51

FiveStar wrote:For the last few days, I've been helping load work and cut wood for another wood firing. Fingers crossed, if my pots survive there should be fresh teaware coming soon. Many cups, a few teapots, few shibs and gaiwans, and some yuzamashi to boot. I've got some larger teabowls and chawan forms in the kiln as well, but we'll have to see what makes the cut (and what makes it out of the kiln!) I'll be sharing some images here for sure!

Humble thanks for your interest in my work.
Fivestar
can't wait to see your new pieces !
have a great firing and welcome to this cool portal for tea and more !
cheers
cory

Aug 29th, '14, 14:52
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Aug 29th, '14, 14:52

Thanks Cory!

The firing went great. Finished up the first chamber with a huge charcoal addition and long reduction fire-down. 2nd chamber is a glaze chamber. Had lots of work in there, and hope it all comes out OK. One large pot exploded during the pre-heat, so I'm hoping not too many shards made it onto my work! That chamber was done too when I left, and the third chamber was well on its way. It gets a big charcoal introduction to finish it off too, but I've never put any work in there. The coals back there make functional work a challenge.

Should be unloading on Monday! Pics soon. Thanks for the support!

Sep 2nd, '14, 00:04
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Sep 2nd, '14, 00:04

Only got a few pots from the kiln today. Was still too hot to unload. While there were many casualties, there are some real gems in there too, I'm sure. Here are a few teasers.

Image[/url]
Nice Tokkuri

Image[/url]

Shibs look great, but sadly the hot kiln and my wadding technique combined to for warped lids. Too bad.

Image[/url]

Yuzamashi made me happy!

Image[/url]
Teabowl foot preview. Looks to be less reduced in this portion of the kiln.
Last edited by FiveStar on Sep 5th, '14, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 2nd, '14, 12:08

by Fuut » Sep 2nd, '14, 12:08

Nice photo's! The yamuzashi has indeed a very nicely even crawl all over, even the inside of the handle (as far as i can see from the photo). Can't wait to see the rest of the load!

Sep 3rd, '14, 23:54

by yalokinh » Sep 3rd, '14, 23:54

Love the crackles!

Sep 4th, '14, 00:52
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Sep 4th, '14, 00:52

Thanks everyone! The crackles can be really cool. The problem with these glazes is that when applied to raw, unbisqued pots they can really put stress on the work. This yuzamashi had a crack that went through the side, so sadly it leaks. The ones that are dipped just right came out great though.

Sep 4th, '14, 14:57

by yalokinh » Sep 4th, '14, 14:57

what does unbisqued mean?

Sep 4th, '14, 15:24
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Sep 4th, '14, 15:24

Bisque firing refers to firing pottery up to around 1000C before glazing. This hardens the clay to the point that it is still porous and not totally vitrified, but has hardened to the point of not breaking or chipping easily. This allows the pots to be handled and glazed without them falling apart. After bisque firing, the pots are usually glazed, but are sometimes loaded into the kiln bare or with a simple slip bisqued onto them.

I don't have an electric kiln, which is the most common way to bisque fire. So I'm learning the do's and don't of raw glazing. This firing had some real winners in it, but there were certainly pots that taught me lessons about how throwing technique and glaze application can lead to blemishes in the fired work.

Sep 5th, '14, 13:19
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Sep 5th, '14, 13:19

I've finally gotten all of the teaware that survived the wood firing up onto Etsy! There were lots of pieces too damaged by exploding pots in the glaze chamber, so this represents the surviving work. Humble beginnings, but I am proud of these pieces.

If any teachat users make a purchase, please do be sure to let me know in the comments section on Etsy. I've got a few pieces glazed in an experimental crackle shino that I'm testing out. The glaze seems fine for teaware, but really does a number on the clay body, resulting in some sweating (not leaking though!) I'm testing one cup, and it's showing lots of staining inside and out already, but I don't feel comfortable selling them outright, as I'm not sure what they'll do in the long run. There are sure to be some ride-alongs for teachat users, if you catch my drift :wink:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HambonePots?r ... eader-name

As always, humble thanks for checking out my work. Here's a shot of my favorite Yunomi from the glaze chamber...

Image[/url]

Oct 22nd, '14, 14:14
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Oct 22nd, '14, 14:14

Greetings all!

Thanks to all who've purchased pots from my etsy store this summer. Hopefully we will be firing again in November, so there should be new additions in the coming months.

For now, I wanted to let everyone know I'm offering 20% off everything in the store for fall. Just enter the coupon code "punkinhead" at checkout and receive 20% off.

Still some of my favorite pots available! Some nice yunomi and teacups, as well as sake sets and really nice vases.

Humble thanks for checking out my work.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HambonePots?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Oct 22nd, '14, 14:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by ShawnP » Oct 22nd, '14, 14:35

First time I've seen your site. I am checking it out now, I feel something may be coming to me :)

Can't wait to see the Nov firing, please tell me there will be some Chawans.

Shawn

+ Post Reply