Jul 4th, '09, 23:15

by chicagopotter » Jul 4th, '09, 23:15

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:Chris, you need to learn to handle that camera! Your work is lovely, and it's very hard to see that in your photos. Heck MY photos don't do justice to your glaze. You're a real artist...

...When I unwrapped this yunomi, I actually said out loud "Oh!" because the image I had seen beforehand showed very little of the lovely detail of the actual piece. (No offense, Chris! :D )
GeekgirlUnveiled -- Thanks so much for posting these pics - they are beautiful! Really like how you captured the crazing on the exterior of the piece. Probably my favorite thing about it. I just need to sell a gazillion more pots so I can pick up a half-way decent camera...It's funny, I feel more at home playing with a 2300 degree fire belching stack of bricks than looking thru a viewfinder. I'd like to leave that up to you and all the other wonderful TeaChat photographers. But I guess I should pick up the camera sooner than later. It's really the only thing holding me back from getting my Etsy shop up and running.

The piece itself is rather large -- the biggest yunomi I've ever made. Think it can probably hold 8-9oz comfortably. It is a high iron stoneware body, glazed with Gustin Shino, although I may have dipped the rim in Luster Shino (a happy accident). The dark specks are caused using an old potters trick -- applying wood ash over a shino. There are also splashes of a rutile stain which provides the gold spots. The bare spots near the bottom of the piece is where my fingers were gripping as I dunked it in the glaze. I applied a wash of shino water over those marks which gives a richer tone to the bare clay.

Thanks everyone for the kind words about this one. Hopefully will have some teapot pic in a few weeks and maybe some much smaller teacups. The new session starts Monday and I am teaching three classes so will be very busy!!

Jul 4th, '09, 23:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 4th, '09, 23:52

OH, Great "Shino!!!" Just great.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 5th, '09, 11:33

by chicagopotter » Jul 5th, '09, 11:33

OK, so I may have gone crazy with "shino" in that last post...

Jul 16th, '09, 20:10

Shino

by shyrabbit » Jul 16th, '09, 20:10

Shino WILL make you crazy....a true love hate relationship.

Is there really an other kind of true relationship, even with ceramics aside?

Michael

Jul 16th, '09, 21:11

nice shino !

by bonjiri » Jul 16th, '09, 21:11

wonderful shino !

love it !

cool !

did u put some ash on ?

shino is endless

Jul 17th, '09, 10:43

by Artemis » Jul 17th, '09, 10:43

I love the first and the second to last. Good job! Those look absolutely amazing and I'm sure we'd all love them for out personal collections. :wink:

Aug 16th, '09, 01:08

Re: Ceramics by Chris Chaney (chicagopotter)

by chicagopotter » Aug 16th, '09, 01:08

I'm still here! Finally firing tomorrow. Have some teaboats in this one, will post pics in a bout a week or so.

Aug 27th, '09, 09:27

by chicagopotter » Aug 27th, '09, 09:27

Here is a new teaboat in Shino. I've decided to keep this one for personal use, and so far it works pretty good. Have 4 more in a box that were soda fired waiting to be photographed...(they are much nicer!).

For an idea on the size of the boat, the Yixing is about 250ml. I'm thinking a smaller teapot would *look* a little better...

Aug 27th, '09, 13:08

by bonjiri » Aug 27th, '09, 13:08

chris

you'll have a lot of fun making photographs

if you want an SLR, i'd recommend a secondhand Canon 10D. its around $200 on the used market and u can get a canon EF 50 macro for $300 or less. awesome 18MB files, great color and most of all, low budget ! the camera was a $3000 camera a few years back and i use it for all my work under 8x10 inches print and most of all internet pics.

aloha
c

Aug 27th, '09, 14:02

by chicagopotter » Aug 27th, '09, 14:02

Oh I definitely need a DSLR, but can't afford one. Maybe if I stop buying tea and start selling more pots!!

Thanks Cory -- I think I'll look into the used market for the recommended camera. Any recommendations for a *good* used camera seller other than eBay?

Oct 28th, '09, 10:31

by chicagopotter » Oct 28th, '09, 10:31

Hey everyone!! Been very busy as of late - teaching 3 pottery classes and preparing for a show in early January. Was finally able to get some nice shots of recent work online. Check 'em out here: http://chicagopotter.net/portfolio/?album=1&gallery=7. Still trying to get some things up on Etsy. Maybe before holidays? Have a stack of teaboats looking for homes and a few yunomi left from earlier in the year.

Oct 28th, '09, 10:38

by chicagopotter » Oct 28th, '09, 10:38

Oh, and working on some new teacup forms. More Chinese inspired -- smaller, thinner, lighter. Now that I drink tea almost every day now, I can appreciate a smaller size cup, and can understand why many people say that yunomi are just too big for their tea drinking habits.

Oct 28th, '09, 12:20

by Chip » Oct 28th, '09, 12:20

+1!

Interestingly though, my cup sizes are getting larger as of late.

I have been using your intermediate sized cups frequently, usually in the evenings/nights for some reason. Perhaps because they are "relaxing" cups.

Oct 28th, '09, 12:55

by geeber1 » Oct 28th, '09, 12:55

Chris, I love the ones with the blues and purples on them, although they are all pretty spectacular! Great work!

Oct 28th, '09, 13:03

by Chip » Oct 28th, '09, 13:03

geeber1 wrote:Chris, I love the ones with the blues and purples on them, although they are all pretty spectacular! Great work!
Heh, some of those adorn TeaShelves here. Cool seeing them in your portfolio, Chris!

+ Post Reply