Jul 1st, '09, 02:34

A Perfect Spot (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 1st, '09, 02:34

Taking the tea to the mountains...is there anything more rewarding than that ideal spot? Once a week we also carry our spring water in a gourd and set up at some mountain location, usually early before the day is hot. Unfortunately, we don't wear crane robes as the sages once did...

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 1st, '09, 02:36

Zen Tea (scroll)

by Wu De » Jul 1st, '09, 02:36

A monk having his morning sencha before the temple:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 1st, '09, 02:38

Bu Lao Dan (scroll)

by Wu De » Jul 1st, '09, 02:38

I'm sure there are some here who will appreciate the meaning of this calligraphy, and of course know what kind/era of tea inspired it:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 1st, '09, 08:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jul 1st, '09, 08:24

I can't read the top right and won't cheat by translating it.

I first thought that the main image represents the 7 Son's Tea in "Chi Tse Beeng Cha", but I counted again. The 8 zhong characters could represent the masterpiece era, although the CNNP wrapper continues to show the same.

The zhong character seems to represent China, but no idea about the significance of 8.

I like the hidden teapot.
Last edited by brandon on Jul 1st, '09, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 1st, '09, 08:33

by xuancheng » Jul 1st, '09, 08:33

I love the two painting with tea as the elixer of life. I also especially like the way you write these three graphs. I have also been admiring your larger chop. Is it new?
茶也醉人何必酒?

Jul 1st, '09, 09:15

by Wu De » Jul 1st, '09, 09:15

brandon wrote:I can't read the top right and won't cheat by translating it.
"Bu Lao Dan", which is one of a gazillion ways of saying the "Elixir of Life"
brandon wrote:I first thought that the main image represents the 7 Son's Tea in "Chi Tse Beeng Cha", but I counted again. The 8 zhong characters could represent the masterpiece era, although the CNNP wrapper continues to show the same.
Follow your instincts. You were spot on. The "Ba Zhong" or "8 Zhong" is the symbol at the center of all the cakes of both the Masterpiece and Chi Tze Eras. The "seven" in "Chi Tze (seven sons)" refers to the number of cakes in a tong, not the number of "zhong" surrounding the character for tea, which has always been 8: to symbolize the directions the tea would hopefully spread to, as well as some other traditional numerological symbology which makes 8 a lucky number (why the Olympics began on 8/8/08 :) ).
Last edited by Wu De on Jul 1st, '09, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 1st, '09, 09:18

by Wu De » Jul 1st, '09, 09:18

xuancheng wrote:I love the two painting with tea as the elixer of life. I also especially like the way you write these three graphs. I have also been admiring your larger chop. Is it new?
Thank you, my friend. It isn't that new. I carved it last year some time. I have 3 or 4 which say that same thing. As you probably know, artists usually stamp 3 different kinds of names. My stamps are as unconventional as my Chinese name (I'm always asked if I'm "ko tien de wu" and when I say no, get the response "but there is no such name of wu"). Nevertheless, this is my second stamp; in that these words accompany my name quite often.
Last edited by Wu De on Jul 1st, '09, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 1st, '09, 09:30

by Wu De » Jul 1st, '09, 09:30

PS check out the itty-bitty characters carved on the sage's gourd :)

Jul 2nd, '09, 02:52

by Wu De » Jul 2nd, '09, 02:52

PSS Amending what I said earlier, this "ba zhong" actually represents all the cakes of the Masterpiece and Chi Tze eras except for Hong Yin (Red Mark), which had a red "cha" in the center :) Since this one is green, it could be any of the others though. It turns out that before I painted it I drank an early 80s 7542.
Last edited by Wu De on Jul 2nd, '09, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 2nd, '09, 06:42

by xuancheng » Jul 2nd, '09, 06:42

Wu De wrote:
xuancheng wrote:I love the two painting with tea as the elixer of life. I also especially like the way you write these three graphs. I have also been admiring your larger chop. Is it new?
Thank you, my friend. It isn't that new. I carved it last year some time. I have 3 or 4 which say that same thing. As you probably know, artists usually stamp 3 different kinds of names. My stamps are as unconventional as my Chinese name (I'm always asked if I'm "ko tien de wu" and when I say no, get the response "but there is no such name of wu"). Nevertheless, this is my second stamp; in that these words accompany my name quite often.
Your name 無的 reminds me of 拾得 one of my favorite people/characters (also not really a name). At first I thought your name was 無德... sorry it wasn't on purpose, but without tones, it is kind of confusing.
茶也醉人何必酒?

Jul 2nd, '09, 08:39

Immortal Abode (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 2nd, '09, 08:39

I had one of those great days today, and I thought I would share it through my art. We all have those special teas we only break out once every great while. Well, today I opened my 100yr-old oolong jar and brewed one of the last precious pots. That was around 12 hours ago, and I'm still feeling it now. I wish you'd been here to share a cup; but at least remember that my alter always has a warm cup of the day's tea steaming there; and not just for the Buddha, but also for all those not around today so they know a cup is always waiting.

In the afternoon, I painted this, starting with the Japanese-style waterfall (which I rarely do). I call it: "Immortal Abode":

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 2nd, '09, 10:59

by coloradopu » Jul 2nd, '09, 10:59

the detail is magnificent

Jul 2nd, '09, 11:33

by Wu De » Jul 2nd, '09, 11:33

Thanks, my friend. I wasn't joking or being poetic when I mentioned in my introduction that my art is very much stained by the teas I drink and the energy they inspire. Since the quality of tea was higher today, so was the art :) It is those amazing oolong leaves which deserve the credit, not me. I mean that.

Jul 3rd, '09, 09:25

Master (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 3rd, '09, 09:25

This one has been in AoT magazine and Puerh Teapot as well, but I just put it up for sale so I thought I'd post it here as well:

www.sagacitea.com

Jul 3rd, '09, 09:26

A Cup of Qi (painting)

by Wu De » Jul 3rd, '09, 09:26

Mixed Media:

www.sagacitea.com

+ Post Reply